Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

RS Speed Custom Titanium Exhaust?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 AM
shapiroeric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an aftermarket exhaust from a company many people would say is good and and has a good build quality......and a tailpipe fell off while driving.....so you never know
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Robert Linton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same thing re carbon. People buy because of perceived reputation that can differ vastly from reality. Carbon is another example. Indeed, I cannot think of the last time I saw an aftermarket real (i.e., not carbon cloth laminated on a substrate and clear coated) carbon part in the aftermarket that was truly excellent notwithstanding that many do look good on the outside.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton View Post
Candidly the quality of manufacture of most aftermarket exhaust system ranges from acceptable to worse than poor. But, you get what you pay for. Truly first class fabricating is expensive, i. e., a high quality component would cost three or more times what standard commercial aftermarket vendors charge. Further, if I had to name the highest quality fabricators/welders in the country, I would have a hard time naming more than one. As to the piece of which you posted a picture, my advice would be to look elsewhere.
I don't think it's necessarily fair to tar all aftermarket exhaust manufactures with the same brush. Some aftermarket exhaust manufactures supply more than what you see online alone.

Originally Posted by chranotik View Post
Decided I'm going with the titanium race pipe but just found out they only accept bank transfers as payment i believe. That's a bummer as it's kind of a pain to go and deal with my bank for that. I contacted them to see if they accept cards or paypal but have gotten no response so far. Also Im hoping they release more data on the superlight Inconel headers they have and their tune too as I most likely will want to get them too.
Sorry about that. I did get back to you via email but let me check if there's any obvious issues. We can do PayPal.

JC
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Really feeling the love reading this thread, thanks!

Without bashing anyones product I think its important to note why a lot of companies opt for a pie cut design and this is simply that the costs involved with creating bespoke bends in high quality titanium (important to note which titanium is being used here) are extremely high. Pie cuts can be purchased online for very reasonable cost and give fabricators pretty much free rein to create any number of exhaust designs without any set up cost.

The sound characteristics and therefore flow are heavily affected by one single poor weld, never mind 20+ throughout a curve. Some of these welds 'can' look ok on the outside but it's the part that you don't see which has such a dramatic effect on flow / performance / sound. The specific titanium that we use in our system has a particular 'ring' or resonance to it and this resonance is affected by length of pipe between welds. A pie cut welded bend will not resonate (or flow) in the same way that a formed bend will.

Creating a titanium bend with a consistent wall thickness is an art in itself. Another sideline for JCR is in the manufacture of titanium bends build to drawings. We sell to a large number of clients around the globe.

We recently had a company attempt to copy one of our distinctive exhaust designs. In doing this they failed to recognise that theres a lot more to our design that might initially meet the eye. Wall thickness of the titanium reducing as it transitions from cats to tips. Material spec. Pie cuts vs bends (as above). Specific overall lengths. Merge capacity. Pipe diameter transitions. The list goes on and on. All of this resulted in the customer contacting me again a couple of days ago and doing what he should have in the first place.

There's another company about to do the same thing. I guess this stuff happens!!

JC
Old 05-17-2019, 12:12 AM
chranotik
User

Alright guys I decided Im going with their superlight inconel race headers and the full titanium race pipe with them both Zircotec coated. I'm excited to go with this setup and I think i'm going to be vastly impressed with the performance and sound upgrade! Going to try to document the process too and dyno before and after.

Last edited by chranotik; 05-17-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: