In-Gear + Door Open = Automatic Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:57 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Parking Brake

Originally Posted by CME
This must be a PDK thing. Doesn't happen with a manual or at least hasn't happened to me.
Chet
I have both and it does it in both. If you open the door, it activates brake.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

The .1 cars really don't like it when you open the door at low speeds just like OP said.

I like to do the same thing like open the door and look over my left shoulder when backing into my garage/driveway etc. if you are in motion it throws the warning to set the brake but it won't set the brake automatically unless the car is stopped. Occasionally I'll open the drivers door at a light when stopped and it'll automatically set the brake. Then forget and when the light turns green it's on and you get the message to release the brake.

Here's the thing for my post. I've gotten better about not opening the door during creeping around in gear or neutral but I took my car into the dealer for regular maintenance a while back and low and behold the parking brake pads are a Consumable! I have the PCCB's. I had to replace the pads and it wasn't covered under warranty. Pricey!
I argued a little about it but my service dept guys are awesome and so accommodating all the time I didn't want to make a scene.

It wasn't until a few days later when I caught myself opening the door again in the garage backing into my space that it occurred to me that it may be a user caused issue.

I get the same parking brake yellow warning light quite often. Like every 10 times I start the car. It usually goes away on its own after stopping and restarting the car. I've just learned to deal with it because it's intermittent and the first time it happened at around 9k miles the dealer found nothing wrong.

When o get the parking brake fail error yellow message and it won't go away by re starting the car I have discovered that if you shut down the car while the car is in neutral and restart it will go away for a while.

FWIW my 2013 Carrera S did the same thing on me years ago intermittently. PDK car. Same issues but never had to replace the e brake parts. That car had the iron brakes.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

yes irritating
I have very tight space in some of my warehouses such that I need to PUSH the car into the slot. well the new cars can't be pushed.....
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It’s a giant PITA.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

PITA to load car in trailer and even harder to get it out. I keep 2 broom sticks in the trailer because I need one to press the brake pedal to release the P brake.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes irritating
I have very tight space in some of my warehouses such that I need to PUSH the car into the slot. well the new cars can't be pushed.....
Get lowly GT3 manual. push car.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

The 981/991 parking brake was bad at the 991 world press intro in Santa Barbara, and hasn't gotten better living with it since then. Placement is bad. Forward/back hidden switch is not intuitive like up/down lever, and worse if you drive other cars that may not be same. It is not consistent in its behavior...sometimes arming itself or disarming itself depending on seatbelt, door, etc...and other times not doing so. Few drivers know you can still use it at speed in case of an emergency (it just slows the car down calmly). Potentially expensive to fix if things go wrong. Etc.

Is the 981/991 parking brake the single worst feature foisted on drivers by Porsche in 20 or more years, as bad as the GT4's shifter is good? It just might be…

While it isn't a deal-killer for me, it is sad to see something you use every time you drive the car so poorly executed. There may be some legislative reasons behind it, and cables are a mess in production, but I fear another reason we got it was for a cleaner, symmetrical center console.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:40 AM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes irritating
Old school 997 guy here thinking about adding a 991.2 with PDK...

Huh? Can't put it in neutral and roll it?

I have much to learn about these newfangled 991 contraptions...
Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It is annoying ...but not as annoying as the VW forward collision avoidance , where it applies the breaks unexpectedly while the car is slowly rolling off the driveway onto the road, and suddenly your head bobbles forward and the car abruptly stops, while you are wondering WTF just happened .
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
PITA to load car in trailer and even harder to get it out. I keep 2 broom sticks in the trailer because I need one to press the brake pedal to release the P brake.
Can you explain in a little more detail please? I haven't trailered mine yet but will do so next month. Any tips for loading/ unloading with the brake would be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I've seen this annoying " feature " on a few modern cars. IMO the only way the DME or BCM knows that the door is open is by looking at the door switch. Just use a small screwdriver to latch the door latch : you will see and feel the part of the door latch that the screwdriver will push in until it latches. Just make sure you remember to pull the door handle to unlatch it before actually closing the door or you will have a pretty nasty " bang " and the door won't close.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Mussi Car.......can you respond??
Thank you.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Tips??
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Did a bit of testing yesterday. Found out that the parking brake doesn't come on if you pop the door at speeds above ~3mph, whether in forward or reverse. However it does come back on again when the car comes to a stop.

Thus the logic appears to be: door open AND in-gear AND speed below [~3mph] = e-brake auto-on*

This would fit the idea of a self-preserving mechanism in the e-brake, to save it from dragging the car at speed, unless the driver actively engages it with the switch in an emergency scenario (I tried that too... and laughed off the idea that this could somehow be compatible with drifting if well practiced...)

The only exception to the (*) logic above is if you pop open the door initially at relatively high speeds (say 20mph). That seems to get the system in a faze and the auto-on won't engage afterwards, even if you roll the car to a complete stop.

So here we are, 29 threads in talking about a problem that didn't exist until someone at PAG decided to put stupid nannies around an otherwise simple device.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ there is absolute zero logic to that.
if someone is that dumb, pls let Darwin do his thing.
if my kid open the door while I am driving, I be laughing...
sick yes, but I will.

child proofing .... I watch my kid burn his hand on oven once, then never again he put hand on fire.
now we have to adult proof.... christ...

Quick Reply: In-Gear + Door Open = Automatic Handbrake