Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Importing a 991.2 GT3T from Germany: stupid idea ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1142639-importing-a-991-2-gt3t-from-germany-stupid-idea.html)

LionelB 05-12-2019 04:57 AM

Importing a 991.2 GT3T from Germany: stupid idea ?

In my quest for a GT3T I see quite a few very nice ultra low mileage GT3T in Germany very close to my ideal spec (Sofa, silver, iron brakes, FAL). Is buying one there for import in CA a stupid idea ? Can't find one here without a boat load of useless options for me, loud colors and of course $20K ADM.

evilfij 05-12-2019 05:06 AM

Not possible. Has to be a US or Canadian car to legally import.

LionelB 05-12-2019 05:09 AM

What happens if you own a car in Germany and move to the US ? (I also live in France)

evilfij 05-12-2019 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by LionelB (Post 15834971)
What happens if you own a car in Germany and move to the US ? (I also live in France)

You can have a foreign registered car in the US for six months, but then it has to leave.

kgamaggio 05-12-2019 07:43 AM

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-buyin...ar-from-europe

Sounds like a nightmare.... Suggest you seek something already stateside....

ToasterThief 05-12-2019 07:49 AM

Is this really more difficult than buying a car from say Canada? I bought my 987 Spyder from a guy in Toronto and honestly the process was fairly painless.

I guess Canadian cars fall under North America which makes things easier?

nszombie 05-12-2019 07:49 AM

Shouldn't be that complicated for a modern car. You may have to make a few modifications before getting it registered. I moved a modern Audi the other way (CA to Germany) a few years ago and the light modules had to get swapped. Also, I wonder what the rules are for GT3 options that you could not get in the US when buying new, e.g. folding buckets or radio-delete.

kgamaggio 05-12-2019 08:29 AM

Yes, US to Germany is generally easy. I brought a car over after my stay in the US and the only modification needed was lighting related (sidemarkers removal/set INOP). Canada to US should be easier also, but other regions to US seem to call for perseverance...

FORENN 05-12-2019 10:04 AM

I suppose the best way to consider this is to monetize your time, effort, risk and stress, and then add the expenses of shipping/importing the car, modifying it to U.S. regulations, etc. Add all of these up and then balance the sum against the GT3 Touring premiums you are faced with here in the States. Personally, I wouldn't consider dealing with this for even a moment, but different strokes for different folks and you may find it's worth it to you.

Perimeter 05-12-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by LionelB (Post 15834965)
In my quest for a GT3T I see quite a few very nice ultra low mileage GT3T in Germany very close to my ideal spec (Sofa, silver, iron brakes, FAL). Is buying one there for import in CA a stupid idea ? Can't find one here without a boat load of useless options for me, loud colors and of course $20K ADM.

Is $20k ADM way out of line or market?
Fighting market pressures can be frustrating

BTW, Importing into USA is one thing, into California can be even more difficult due to CARB - Calif Air Res Board, whicg is a whole 'nuther certification specific to California!

LionelB 05-12-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Perimeter (Post 15835239)
Is $20k ADM way out of line or market?
Fighting market pressures can be frustrating

Well, it's $20K too much on cars that mostly have $20K of options I would not have specified myself and in colors I do not want. If you like at GT3T in germany you have something like 20 of them mostly in more standard colors than the ones available in the US and that I prefer. Anyway this maybe a moot point anyway if these cars cannot be imported relatively easily.

Alan Smithee 05-12-2019 02:25 PM

^ Anything is possible...just takes time and money. When weighing your options, also consider that a US-spec car will have 3-4 years of warranty. An import will have none on these shores. There will also be issues insuring a car without a US VIN.

LionelB 05-12-2019 02:44 PM

All good points, this may not be worth the hassle for sure.

obbob 05-13-2019 03:58 PM

You can import any car that the CBP considers “admissible”. They have a list of what cars are on there. I didn’t check, but I’m confident that a GT3 Touring is on there as they also sell it in the States.

The 25 year rule is for cars that are inadmissible.

However, admissible doesn’t mean hassle free. You will likely have to make a good chunk of modifications to the car to get it into compliance with US regulations. CBP will want to see a letter from the manufacturer explaining what modifications are required, receipts of the modifications actually being done. This can be prohibitively expensive.

Then factor in shipping costs, and 2.5% import duties. Also if you’re registering it in CA, they will want to charge you full CA sales tax unless you can prove you owned the car for 1-year prior to it being in CA. They will not credit you for any German taxes that you paid.

Finally, your resale value will be lower because buyers tend not to like imported cars.

Add up all of this and you see why basically no one does it except from Canada, which shares almost all regulations so modifications are rarely necessary.

RDM2418 05-13-2019 05:34 PM

Probably could get a 2020 992 GT3 Touring spec'd the way you want by the time you got this sorted.