Sponsored by:

JCR Race Pipe review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default JCR Race Pipe review

After a couple weeks of waiting, I finally received my JCR race pipes last week. I was out of town for a few days, so I didn't get around to installing the race pipes until tonight. As many of you know, I have been a huge advocate of IPE exhausts on the forum. I previously had the titanium valved exhaust and still think it is a great sounding exhaust. The JCR race pipes are a notch above in loudness, tone and build quality. For those wanting something slightly quieter with a valve, IPE is still a great option. I haven't tried the JCR valved or silenced race pipes, so I can't comment. I assume they are good also.

Packaging and shipping
It took two weeks to fabricate the race pipes, there was a back-ordered part. Not a big deal as I understand it is high in demand. Once the exhaust was fabricated it only took two days to get to me. Jonny sent tracking to me as soon as it was shipped. Packaging was excellent and everything was bubbled wrapped. The ends were all protected from bending and damage. I was missing a nut so I just used one of my old exhaust nuts.

Install and build quality
The build quality is superb. When I first picked up the pieces, I was shocked how light it was. I could pick everything up with a couple fingers. The welds look great and everything fit together nicely. The install was a little tricky without instructions, the IPE was much easier to install. Luckily my buddy came over to help. I had to ask JCR for some pictures of how to install the hangers. Even then, it was a little confusing and tricky to get the hangers to fit on the bracket well. A video would have been great. I have attached some pics that may help you all. Getting the rubber and metal bracket to clamp the hanger was a little tough. I recommend keeping the cat clamps loose until everything fits nicely. After the hangers are attached, the next part is angling the center part of the exhaust and making sure it is centered. If I had a lift it would have been easier, but I had the try the bumper on a couple times and mark the pipes with a sharpie. After marking the pipes you can move the center right/left and angle it up and down to your liking. Once I got it close enough to being centered and at the right angle, I tightened all the clamps up. Minor fine tuning can be done when mounting the exhaust tips. I used the oem ones, because they are free and I like the look of them. If you have a GT3(non RS), I suggest swapping your air filters for RS/BMC filters while your bumper is off. Cheap mod to help your car breath better.

Loudness
This thing is loud. It isn't for the faint of heart. Luckily my neighbors are like 80 and can barely hear. Cold start is very loud, but it quiet downs shortly. I like the loudness and thought every other exhaust I heard was a little bit too quiet. I would say the race pipes are 30 percent louder than the IPE and twice as loud as center rear bypasses.

Drone
What most of you have been wondering..... To my ears there isn't much drone. JCR did an amazing job with how they tuned it. It only drones when you are on the highway, holding it at like 2000-2500 rpms. I never really do this, so it isn't an issue with me. I would say it drones similarly to the IPE, maybe a tad more. Drone is subjective though, some are more sensitive than others.

Tone
JCR tuned this thing beautifully. It really does sound like an RSR. I think the loop on the side pipes, the thickness of the titanium, and the x-pipe design all work together to create this sound. The low end has a nice rumble and bass to it. It keeps the Porsche flat 6 signature sound. The top end has a high pitch scream that mimics the RSR. I'm really blown away by the incredible tone. Videos do not do it justice, but here are a couple short clips. I had to clip them because of my friend's commentary and location.

Overall, I think this is the perfect exhaust for me. I definitely don't think it is for everyone. If you want something loud, light(lose 56 lbs of the rear) and that has an amazing tone; look no further.

Last edited by drdonger; 05-11-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

sounds great ! Enjoy it and take it easy
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

CEL ISSUES? DO YOU HAVE A TUNE?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kahane18
CEL ISSUES? DO YOU HAVE A TUNE?
No cel or tune. Only race headers may require cel or tune.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

Great review, thanks for posting up videos! I'm still on the fence on the Superlight Bypass or going all in with the Race pipe. What a lovely sound. Guess it depends how much I want to annoy my neighbors when I have to leave for the track Sunday mornings at 6:00 a.m.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the write up! Happy to hear you are enjoying it.

How does it compare if you are just cruising around under 4K RPM compared to stock?
And does it matter if sports exhaust button is pressed or not?

Thanks again!!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 AM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You echo my sentiments regarding this exhaust. I've had it for a few months and it actually seems quiet to me now (I'm probably just used to it), my neighbors defintely don't agree though. One thing's for sure, the sound never gets old.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

A tip to install the metal hanger through the rubber mount is to use Vaseline, and get the rubber mount installed outside, then align the rubber mount to the metal support bracket when attaching the pipes to the car.

I have heard all sort of exhausts, and have run over a dozen different configurations in my 997 and 991 GT3s, and nothing sound better than these JCR Race Pipes.

I was at an event with 4 other GT3s, 4 991 and 1 997 a few days ago, all in different exhaust configurations, and the only one getting praise for the sound quality was my car (I have received this F1 sound compliment too often). Every time I go to Palm Beach to run the road course, or the drag strip, or even the Go Kart track, same deal, people walking over just to tell me how awesome my car sounds, despite of the 720S, Performante, GT2RS, 570S, other 991 GT3s, and all sort of other cars running at the same events.

Unfortunately, despite of being a little louder than the stock 991.2 GT3RS system with valves open, I need to remove mine as I can't pass the restrictive sound measurements at less than 40ft on suspicious sound meter equipment, and getting disqualified for sound is annoying.

Mine are the JCR Silenced Race Pipes, they are around 6 dB quieter than the Race Pipes, and I love them, but running them means I won't be longer welcomed to most of the events I want to run, and my RS only has one purpose: competition. For street driving, nothing to enjoy at 55mph on flat straight roads.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:41 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

What sound limits are you exceeding (dB at what distance)?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:53 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Thanks for the write up! Happy to hear you are enjoying it.

How does it compare if you are just cruising around under 4K RPM compared to stock?
And does it matter if sports exhaust button is pressed or not?

Thanks again!!

It is quite a bit louder than stock. Twice as loud probably. Not for the faint of heart, but a glorious sound.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:02 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
What sound limits are you exceeding (dB at what distance)?
A bone stock 991.2 GT3 is blowing 101.x dB (this is totally stock system, and we know these cars are not loud). A bone stock Cayman GT4 is blowing 98dB, 100.x dB, 103dB. 2 other stock 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 are blowing 100.x. The limit is 99.99 dB, anything at 100dB or higher and you're out.

I checked the distance, and it was around 40ft (plus or minus as I measured by walk and didn't use measuring tape). The rule calls for 50ft, but we suspect the sound equipment is faulty as well.

My car with stock headers, stock cats, JCR Silenced Race Pipes, and Soul Performance resonators blew 100.x twice with another driver, and 106.x 107.x with me driving. The Soul Performance turn downs drop 3-4 dB (the resonated pipes and turndowns combined), so I'm still over the limit. In my case, I need to go back to the stock system (stock sides, stock center, stock headers) and add turn downs if I want to continue running these events.

With my current setup, I get on Bluetooth phone calls while driving, my wife doesn't complain about the car being loud, neighbors are fine (there are loud cars in my community, mine is not one of them). Sound volume level is similar to my 991.1 TurboS with Kline Inconel Race muffler.

Per Jonny (JCR's owner), the Race Pipes are 6dB louder than my Silenced Race Pipes. The Valved Race Pipes are equally as loud as the Race Pipes, but on valves closed, they are a little quieter than my system (but only when the car is not under load, and below certain RPMs which is not where we get measured).
Old 05-09-2019, 01:25 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdonger
It is quite a bit louder than stock. Twice as loud probably. Not for the faint of heart, but a glorious sound.

thank you! does the sports exhaust button change anything with the race pipe or is it the same whether on or off?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A/S
A bone stock 991.2 GT3 is blowing 101.x dB (this is totally stock system, and we know these cars are not loud). A bone stock Cayman GT4 is blowing 98dB, 100.x dB, 103dB. 2 other stock 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 are blowing 100.x. The limit is 99.99 dB, anything at 100dB or higher and you're out.

I checked the distance, and it was around 40ft (plus or minus as I measured by walk and didn't use measuring tape). The rule calls for 50ft, but we suspect the sound equipment is faulty as well.

My car with stock headers, stock cats, JCR Silenced Race Pipes, and Soul Performance resonators blew 100.x twice with another driver, and 106.x 107.x with me driving. The Soul Performance turn downs drop 3-4 dB (the resonated pipes and turndowns combined), so I'm still over the limit. In my case, I need to go back to the stock system (stock sides, stock center, stock headers) and add turn downs if I want to continue running these events.

With my current setup, I get on Bluetooth phone calls while driving, my wife doesn't complain about the car being loud, neighbors are fine (there are loud cars in my community, mine is not one of them). Sound volume level is similar to my 991.1 TurboS with Kline Inconel Race muffler.

Per Jonny (JCR's owner), the Race Pipes are 6dB louder than my Silenced Race Pipes. The Valved Race Pipes are equally as loud as the Race Pipes, but on valves closed, they are a little quieter than my system (but only when the car is not under load, and below certain RPMs which is not where we get measured).
My track (Road America) has a 103dB limit but I'm not sure what distance it is from the turn where it's mounted. There have been crazy loud cars at a few of the DEs there and none of them AFAIK have been black flagged for a sound violation. Hopefully I'm not impacted. Thanks for the detailed response.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by P-Car777
thank you! does the sports exhaust button change anything with the race pipe or is it the same whether on or off?
It's the same as there are no valves on the race pipe.

Quick Reply: JCR Race Pipe review