Sponsored by:

JCR Race Pipe review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
It's the same as there are no valves on the race pipe.
got it, thank you!
Old 05-09-2019, 02:12 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
My track (Road America) has a 103dB limit but I'm not sure what distance it is from the turn where it's mounted. There have been crazy loud cars at a few of the DEs there and none of them AFAIK have been black flagged for a sound violation. Hopefully I'm not impacted. Thanks for the detailed response.
RA measures at 50ft when the SCCA runs there, just on the outside of T3. One advantage for some racetracks is that you can use turn away pipes. The Soul Performance turn downs can be rotated to point Right (what I would use at Road America), or Left (for Laguna Seca). Some organizations now require the turndown pipes to point straight up or straight down.

I had a flagger at Palm Beach Raceway during a time trial check my own Sound Meter equipment, I placed the meter 50ft away from the start/finish line, and my car with the stock headers, stock cats, JCR silenced race pipes, and Soul Resonated tips (no turndowns), blew a top of 98 dB. At a race in Georgia 2 months ago, it blew 96-98 dB as well. Suddenly, the same car is blowing 106-107dB and I suspect faulty or out of calibration equipment plus terrain and buildings echoes.

The Full Race Pipes (the standard JCR Race Pipes) and the Valved Race Pipes would definitely exceed 103 dB at WOT and 50ft.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
got it, thank you!
They do make a valved version as well:

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...gt3-rs-exhaust
Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
They do make a valved version as well:

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...gt3-rs-exhaust
The valved version is a little pointless imo. Either go silenced or full race pipe. Adding the valve just quiets it a little on cold startup and driving around your neighborhood. Not much though.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
RA measures at 50ft when the SCCA runs there, just on the outside of T3. One advantage for some racetracks is that you can use turn away pipes. The Soul Performance turn downs can be rotated to point Right (what I would use at Road America), or Left (for Laguna Seca). Some organizations now require the turndown pipes to point straight up or straight down.

I had a flagger at Palm Beach Raceway during a time trial check my own Sound Meter equipment, I placed the meter 50ft away from the start/finish line, and my car with the stock headers, stock cats, JCR silenced race pipes, and Soul Resonated tips (no turndowns), blew a top of 98 dB. At a race in Georgia 2 months ago, it blew 96-98 dB as well. Suddenly, the same car is blowing 106-107dB and I suspect faulty or out of calibration equipment plus terrain and buildings echoes.

The Full Race Pipes (the standard JCR Race Pipes) and the Valved Race Pipes would definitely exceed 103 dB at WOT and 50ft.
I had heard the meter was on the outside of T3, so your statement lines up with that.

Something fishy is going on with your experiences, and unless something on your car failed, it's in the measurement equipment or elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:04 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Fantastic detailed review. Great to hear your experience and loving the videos.

JC
Old 05-11-2019, 02:17 PM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, now i listen to your videos, in comparison to mine setup, your car at WOT is alot more "raspier"

The sound is very close to RSR. Beautiful.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM
dxbtousa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds amazing.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

Ok jumped on board and installed a JCR race pipe on my .1 and HO LEE CHIT! It sounds incredible, but it buzzes, vibrates, and rattles the cabin a good bit. Is this what you guys are experiencing? Nothing is touching the chassis or heat shields, but on the driver's side it is pretty close to hitting the engine subframe (about 1/4" of clearance). Curious if it's just how it is, or if I need to do more adjusting/bending/cursing.

Can't wait to get some videos of my own though. What a sound. Thanks for this thread, it definitely helped me prepare for installation time.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Ok jumped on board and installed a JCR race pipe on my .1 and HO LEE CHIT! It sounds incredible, but it buzzes, vibrates, and rattles the cabin a good bit. Is this what you guys are experiencing? Nothing is touching the chassis or heat shields, but on the driver's side it is pretty close to hitting the engine subframe (about 1/4" of clearance). Curious if it's just how it is, or if I need to do more adjusting/bending/cursing.

Can't wait to get some videos of my own though. What a sound. Thanks for this thread, it definitely helped me prepare for installation time.
You experience was just like mine... I confirmed that it was close to the chassis, but with the dynamic engine mounts, the engine hardly rotated. I had closer to 1/2" to 5/8" of clearance and had to work patiently to align everything right, and it still vibrates throughout the car. There is absolutely no better sounding exhaust between 5k and 9k RPM.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
You experience was just like mine... I confirmed that it was close to the chassis, but with the dynamic engine mounts, the engine hardly rotated. I had closer to 1/2" to 5/8" of clearance and had to work patiently to align everything right, and it still vibrates throughout the car. There is absolutely no better sounding exhaust between 5k and 9k RPM.
Great, thank you (and thank you for the awesome exhaust buying process, everything came quick and well packaged)!

Guess the key here is to keep it above 5k as often as possible.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:05 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Great, thank you (and thank you for the awesome exhaust buying process, everything came quick and well packaged)!

Guess the key here is to keep it above 5k as often as possible.
Exactly! And glad to hear (no pun intended) everything arrived as expected. You will LOVE it at COTA...

Quick Reply: JCR Race Pipe review