Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3T Likes/Dislikes/Loves/Hates ???

Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Likely due to the Touring’s conical air intake box. Same as the R, but different than the wing GT3 and RS.
so then there are other differences between the gt3 wing and touring besides the wing and cosmetics? trying to balance this comment with the one made by grantg above. is there a place on rennlist or elsewhere that specifically delineates all of the differences between gt3 wing and touring?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

here is the review i was thinking of, this guy seems to think there is a whole bunch of differences between gt3 touring and the manual gt3 wing clubsport. for example, his comments starting at 1:51.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I have Race Track TPMS settings in my Touring:

Interesting - thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Not sure about the PS Cup 2's, but the Pilot Sport 4S's (that I switched to with 287 miles on the odometer) are MUCH quieter than the OEM Dunlop Maxx Race 2's.
Ditto on my OEM Dunlops. I am enjoying the same results.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Correct!

i don’t know how many of you have actually tracked or toured in their Touring but I now have over 10,000 kim’s in the car including 2,000 kim’s on track at Spa, Zolder, etc and 8,000 kim’s “touring” so these comments relate to my experience with the car.

i have never used sixth gear on track. Even at Spa on the looong Kemmel straight you only ever pull 5th. The only time you use 6th is on the highway so why not make it longer for more relaxed touring?

With regards to the noise inside the cabin, it’s just not a pleasant noise. There is too much harsh road noise and exhaust drone which makes it louder than a .2 GT3 RS. Indeed, my RS is a better “touring” car than my Touring. Only a few weeks ago, myself and two buddies took my RS, Touring and 996 GT3 RS on a 1,000km road trip together. Least preferred car on the highway......the Touring! That makes no sense. I would like less of the nasty cabin noise and more pure exhaust noise with a more discernible difference between PSE Off vs On.

On track, it’s pretty good, not much to change to improve it except 2nd gear baulks too often when trying to grab it when the car is loaded through left hand 2nd gear corners such as the chicane onto the straight at Zolder. And I am not the only one to report this.

Make these changes and it would far better on the road and better on track.

Along with your current VERY COOL line-up, it sounds like you might be better suited to a TTS for your intended use. I bet your dealer would be happy to swap a TTS for your Touring.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgATaKt8f8

here is the review i was thinking of, this guy seems to think there is a whole bunch of differences between gt3 touring and the manual gt3 wing clubsport. for example, his comments starting at 1:51.
I especially like that Porsche redesigned the shifter to be not quite as notchy as the manual-winged. That’s trying just a little too hard.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Ditto on my OEM Dunlops. I am enjoying the same results.

Along with your current VERY COOL line-up, it sounds like you might be better suited to a TTS for your intended use. I bet your dealer would be happy to swap a TTS for your Touring.
I also have a 991.2 GTS which is pulling double duty at the moment as my “daily” and my “touring” vehicle so don’t need a TTS.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

He's got no idea what he's talking about re most of that. PET confirms suspension, etc are identical.

Touring dislikes:
Center-locks
Driveline shutter on 1-2 flat shift.
Slightly tall gearing, would prefer 997.2 RS style shorter 1st, 2nd, etc.
Noise at freeway speed
Stock radio
Price of replacement PCCB disks
Instrument cluster and infotainment complexity (all analog instrument cluster and simpler interface with easy blackout of the center screen preferred)
Rear wheel steering calibration (would prefer less)
The fact that the engine is software detuned 20 hp from the RS
Rear spoiler deploy speed (would prefer higher, ~90).
Size (slightly big)

Would like:
Lighter flywheel option
Folding carbon bucket option
Mag wheel option
Li battery option
RS suspension option w/ mono-*****
Tires that need less heat (still sticky and low tread but more street/ autocross biased than big track)
Ability to fit 19" wheels without modification
Rear seat option

Love:
Pretty much everything else
Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

i've heard GT3 Touring owners say the cabin is louder. is that true -- and if so, what would explain that?
Actually, over dinner in Mallorca, at the release of the 992, Dr Walliser confided that the Touring does indeed have less sound insulation material than the winged Gt3.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Actually, over dinner in Mallorca, at the release of the 992, Dr Walliser confided that the Touring does indeed have less sound insulation material than the winged Gt3.
That is odd - I wonder what the rationale for that would be?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That is odd - I wonder what the rationale for that would be?
To further ding the value of the 911R...

I don't think the Touring is loud enough. In fact, unless it's raining, I crack the windows a couple inches to let more noise in...
Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Coming from a TTS, the noise is one of the things I love about my Touring (including cruising on Autobahns here in Germany).
Most cars are only going to get quieter in the future so enjoy it while it lasts.

Hard to think of anything I don't like, actually. Amazing car. Very thankful I can own and drive one.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
He's got no idea what he's talking about re most of that. PET confirms suspension, etc are identical.

Touring dislikes:
Center-locks
Driveline shutter on 1-2 flat shift.
Slightly tall gearing, would prefer 997.2 RS style shorter 1st, 2nd, etc.
Noise at freeway speed
Stock radio
Price of replacement PCCB disks
Instrument cluster and infotainment complexity (all analog instrument cluster and simpler interface with easy blackout of the center screen preferred)
Rear wheel steering calibration (would prefer less)
The fact that the engine is software detuned 20 hp from the RS
Rear spoiler deploy speed (would prefer higher, ~90).
Size (slightly big)

Would like:
Lighter flywheel option
Folding carbon bucket option
Mag wheel option
Li battery option
RS suspension option w/ mono-*****
Tires that need less heat (still sticky and low tread but more street/ autocross biased than big track)
Ability to fit 19" wheels without modification
Rear seat option

Love:
Pretty much everything else
One point I agree

Want RS monoball on touring
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by arek

Hard to think of anything I don't like, actually. Amazing car. Very thankful I can own and drive one.

Amen!!! My feelings exactly.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
Don't know why but from memory my Touring seems to be louder inside than my .2 Winged GT3 Manual (sold in January), so I'm going to add sound deadening mats to the rear of the car to quiet it down a little - to make it perfect for touring. I did the same to the RS to compensate for the side muffler delete and the interior noise level is now quieter than stock when cruising, but louder when hauling butt. It took about 6 hours on the RS, but this time around, 4 hours would be sufficient as I can get to the back with the sofas folded.
So you just lay the mats down on top of the carpet in the back of the car?
Which mats do you use? How do they stay in place?. I"m interested in making my GT3 quieter when cruising.

I do plan to do a side muffler delete in the future as I want the car to be lighter and the engine noise loud when hauling butt. However just cruising on the highway, I'd prefer much less highway noise.

Engine noise-good, highway noise-bad
Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
So you just lay the mats down on top of the carpet in the back of the car?
Which mats do you use? How do they stay in place?. I"m interested in making my GT3 quieter when cruising.

I do plan to do a side muffler delete in the future as I want the car to be lighter and the engine noise loud when hauling butt. However just cruising on the highway, I'd prefer much less highway noise.

Engine noise-good, highway noise-bad
I can't see how it has less sound deadung

RS has none and it sounds fantastic at full tilt. The stock exhaust is perfect

Touring is too muted...I wish it was same as RS

I switch between both as my daily..when I get time I plan on doing a comparison thread

Ultimate daily..RS running gear ( including Pdk) in a touring body w folding seats and back seat

Yes..Pdk. The Pdk in the RS is magic, I wasn't a believer until I bought one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3T Likes/Dislikes/Loves/Hates ???