Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine power after empty fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM
amgmuch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reduced Engine power after empty fuel tank

Not too proud admitting this but my gt3 ran out of fuel as I was literally 0.05 miles from the gas station. "Reduced Engine power but permitted to drive" light came on and obviously the car wouldn't start. Ran to the station, filled up a gallon bottle and refueled the car. The car started just fine with no warning lights. So that brings me to my question, has this happened to any of you Porsche Gods? Should I take the car to the dealership for a quick check up or anything that I should keep an eye on?

P.S. Porsche doesn't fool around with its fuel range feature. When it says a mile, it means a freaking mile. No extra juice available.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:12 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by amgmuch
The car started just fine with no warning lights.
Good. Now, just keep driving it and don't run out of gas again.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Not too proud admitting this but my gt3 ran out of fuel as I was literally 0.05 miles from the gas station. "Reduced Engine power but permitted to drive" light came on and obviously the car wouldn't start. Ran to the station, filled up a gallon bottle and refueled the car. The car started just fine with no warning lights. So that brings me to my question, has this happened to any of you Porsche Gods? Should I take the car to the dealership for a quick check up or anything that I should keep an eye on?

P.S. Porsche doesn't fool around with its fuel range feature. When it says a mile, it means a freaking mile. No extra juice available.
How old is the car?

Typically when you completely empty the tank you suck all the sludge at the bottom into the fuel filter. That then makes the fuel pump work harder and potentially limits peak flow (which can cause you to go lean at full throttle and potentially damage the engine). If the car's brand new I wouldn't worry, but if you've got some years/ miles on it I'd have the fuel filter changed as a precaution.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:24 PM
amgmuch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
How old is the car?

Typically when you completely empty the tank you suck all the sludge at the bottom into the fuel filter. That then makes the fuel pump work harder and potentially limits peak flow (which can cause you to go lean at full throttle and potentially damage the engine). If the car's brand new I wouldn't worry, but if you've got some years/ miles on it I'd have the fuel filter changed as a precaution.
Again, this is very hard to admit lol but that was supposed to be my first refuel since picking up the car last week. It’s a ‘19 gt3. So I am guessing no need to visit the dealership haha.

Wearing a dunce hat!
Old 05-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Again, this is very hard to admit lol but that was supposed to be my first refuel since picking up the car last week. It’s a ‘19 gt3. So I am guessing no need to visit the dealership haha.

Wearing a dunce hat!
Lol. Console yourself with the knowledge that this was far from the worst thing that could happen just after taking delivery. No harm no foul...
Old 05-06-2019, 06:08 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Before you feel too dumb I ran out of gas in my daily driver, a new Honda CRV, but at the timeI thought I had an ECU malfunction as well because every system in the car was still giving me failure warnings even after putting gas in it so Honda had it towed to a dealer. (tow truck guy didn't know what the deal was either) Turns out it needed 5 or more restarts before all the codes cleared themselves.

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine power after empty fuel tank