Sponsored by:

Removing SAT wart on GT3T

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 AM
papayars4
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing SAT wart on GT3T

I couldn't find any info on this so I'm hoping someone out there may know.

I'm trying to remove the Sat antenna wart from my 2018 GT3 touring. The underside of the engine cover has a plastic plug and when removed it exposes a T25 torx screw. I loosened the screw but I can't remove the screw completely and the antenna doesn't seem to be any more loose.

Anyone know how to do this or have access to any guides to reference?

Thanks,
Markos
Old 05-05-2019, 12:11 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That screw comes all the way out and then the wart can be removed. What’s stumping you is in addition to the mechanical fastening the wart is also held in place by an adhesive pad.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:28 PM
papayars4
AutoX

Originally Posted by James Walker
That screw comes all the way out and then the wart can be removed. What’s stumping you is in addition to the mechanical fastening the wart is also held in place by an adhesive pad.
It worked! Thank you for your help.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:11 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Curious is there a hole you then have to cover after you remove it
Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Could you measure the hole? I am thinking of removing and adding a bumper plug type thing.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:28 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by papayars4
It worked! Thank you for your help.
Would you mind posting steps and/or any pictures of the process? I'd like to remove mine as well, but don't know where to start. Is it as simple as popping the engine cover, removing the plug + Torx, and yanking it off..?

Must the adhesive pad be replaced when you install a new antenna? I imagine it's not re-usable?

Last edited by carrerafanboy; 05-05-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Adding another quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Originally Posted by carrerafanboy
Would you mind posting steps and/or any pictures of the process? I'd like to remove mine as well, but don't know where to start. Is it as simple as popping the engine cover, removing the plug + Torx, and yanking it off..?

Must the adhesive pad be replaced when you install a new antenna? I imagine it's not re-usable?
It is more or less as easy as you describe, you have to be careful to not lose the fastener. When I did mine I was not able to save the adhesive pad so I bought a new antenna. Just for clarification I removed mine to match my PTS.

If the pad is removed very carefully it can be reused, if not I’m not aware that you can buy a new pad you’d have to buy a new antenna.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:52 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

It is more or less as easy as you describe, you have to be careful to not lose the fastener. When I did mine I was not able to save the adhesive pad so I bought a new antenna. Just for clarification I removed mine to match my PTS.

If the pad is removed very carefully it can be reused, if not I’m not aware that you can buy a new pad you’d have to buy a new antenna.
Thank you for clarifying! I have a PTS-matched antenna that I'd like to install as well, but don't have it in front of me so not sure it has the adhesive pad attached (it was ordered new from Porsche and painted by Eric at BumperPlugs)...

Do you happen to know the Torx bit number off the top of your head? Hopefully it's a common one?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:54 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Thank you for clarifying! I have a PTS-matched antenna that I'd like to install as well, but don't have it in front of me so not sure it has the adhesive pad attached (it was ordered new from Porsche and painted by Eric at BumperPlugs)...

Do you happen to know the Torx bit number off the top of your head? Hopefully it's a common one?
The new antennas come with a fresh adhesive pad so no worries there. I don’t know the torxs number but it is a common one
Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 PM
papayars4
AutoX

Originally Posted by FLGT
Curious is there a hole you then have to cover after you remove it
Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 PM
papayars4
AutoX

It’s a T25 torx
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 PM
papayars4
AutoX

Originally Posted by evilfij
Could you measure the hole? I am thinking of removing and adding a bumper plug type thing.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:03 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

The wart isn’t THAT offensive to justify either the effort or the look. My PTS Touring has a wart in black and I’ve made peace with it. Lol
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thanks! Now to find a suitable square plug. I guess they really don’t want you deleting it. I was hoping for a standard circular hole I could just put a plug in.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
The wart isn’t THAT offensive to justify either the effort or the look. My PTS Touring has a wart in black and I’ve made peace with it. Lol
No doubt...

Quick Reply: Removing SAT wart on GT3T