Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is sound to your driving experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:59 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound is huge for me
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 57 Posts

Sound is absolutely critical to my enjoyment whether driving in my GT3 or riding my Ducati. In fact the only modification I have made to both was installing an Akrapovic Exhaust. They’re also. an OEM supplier to several VW Group Brands including Porsche, Audi and Ducati which says something about the quality. The first thing I do when I get in my car is lower the windows so I can hear as much of that tuned perfection as possible.

Sound also plays a significant role in the enjoyment of F1 and sports car racing and for me the height of the sport was the amazing scream of the 10 cylinder cars. Formula E will never cultivate similar popularity if for no other reason than that spectators are cheated of the noises that make motor racing so special to experience. Try muting the sound while watching the cars run through the tunnel at Monaco and tell me the experience isn’t diminished.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Nothing like a great sounding car. It is such a huge part of my GT3. It is the heart of the car.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:55 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Extremely important. First mod for any car is PPF and ceramic coating to protect the car. Second is ceramic window tint to protect my pretty skin. Third is exhaust.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes very important indeed and part of the whole driving experience ,,your sight ,ears , and the feeling of what the car is doing in your finger tips and your back side are all the essence of driving ,,,,,taking away the sound is taking a major part of what gives the pleasure of driving away ......
it is like watching a great movie on mute ,,,,,just takes away from the whole experience
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 AM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sound is important. Quality of sound is even more. I drove my friends 488 and it sounded horrible. It sounded so artificial and forced like a BMW M4. Not refined like older fcars. But if you have never driven a GT3RS perhaps you wouldn't know any better.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:18 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I like my cars fairly quiet at low rpm and highway cruising but enjoy a higher rpm noise, whether NA or blower whine — I really like blower whine. I will probably catch flak for this, but I think my supercharged V8 jag sounds better than the GT3. I also don’t like the valved exhausts. I rely on sound as part of driving and the dramatic shift in noise always throws me off. I very much prefer linear power increases that correlate with sound. The valved exhaust makes me think of my former Elise and the second cam kicking in (which was a noticeable power increase), but in a GT3 there is no additional power — at least not noticeably — when the valves open. The 993 seems about perfect in sound level and linearity.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I believe that sound is important for all sports car enthusiasts, but some who drive cars that are sound deficient will rationalize that sound isn't all that important.
The STP-Paxton Turbocar designed by Ken Wallis was the first turbo entry in the Indianapolis 500, and it was relatively quiet, especially when compared to the NA cars. Parnelli Jones drove it in 1967. After leading for much of the race, a transmission failure with only eight miles left ended its race. When it became apparent that the turbo car was doomed, 200K spectators rose to their feet and cheered. The turbo car was very fast, but race fans hated it because it was so quiet.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:41 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

The sound of the car is essential. My obsession with the GT3 started at an F1 race where the support race was the GT3 Super Cup race and the first time I heard that while walking under a tunnel at the circuit I was locked and it was over. Ever since then as an early 20 something I aspired to having a car as close to that as possible. I can't imagine the idea of turning the sound down as some have suggested. There are so many brands and models out there with more torque, less sound, more induction noise (see the 600LT roof scoop MSO option and others), more acceleration, more features, fancier interior, that you can have exactly what you want a la carte with whatever brand your heart desires.
The essence of the GT3 is the motor and as the designers have described very appropriately in the past, the sound produced is intentionally a "Meisterstück." Downplaying this is blasphemous.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Sound is huge for me
LFA 😱
like old V10 F1 days!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Sound Quality is very important to me. I’m not talking about volume in decibels but the quality of the exhaust/engine note. I enjoy a engine that the sound changes throughout the rev range.

Add that to a great steering feel, great brake feel and a great tuned suspension and I’m in heaven!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:12 PM
msimon9
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Power 1
handling 2
sound 3.
Id say it’s super important.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Also, it has to be real engine sound and not those with sound actuator or through the sound systems.
+1
Old 05-05-2019, 01:18 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound is extremely important to me....that's why my modo is "No carbon footprint, No interest"
I'm also big on smell....here me out....there is nothing better than the smell of a vintage car interior....all that patina'd leather mixed with the smell of petrol, oil, transmission fluid, and heated iron. When I finish a nice run in one the vintage cars, there is nothing better than walking into the garage an hour later....
I also think that the sound of vintage cars is more pure, the modern cars have a fabricated sound that engineers worked on, which bugs me a bit....it's not real per say.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:27 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Sound is extremely important to me....that's why my modo is "No carbon footprint, No interest"
I'm also big on smell....here me out....there is nothing better than the smell of a vintage car interior....all that patina'd leather mixed with the smell of petrol, oil, transmission fluid, and heated iron. When I finish a nice run in one the vintage cars, there is nothing better than walking into the garage an hour later....
I also think that the sound of vintage cars is more pure, the modern cars have a fabricated sound that engineers worked on, which bugs me a bit....it's not real per say.

+1

I had an old timer say to me “These new cars are like watching a **** video of a super hot woman - a classic car is like having sex with that hot woman”...... lol. I will never forget that conversation that I had with him.

Quick Reply: How important is sound to your driving experience?