Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:45 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?

Hello guys,

I search a video system Like AIM or Racelogic.

For you what's the best choice or if you have an alternative or recommendation?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

i like AIM. have the 84 degree version and use a CPL on it as well. I alsonhave a solo 2 DL for data logging and use their software for analysis.

The following users liked this post:
mdrums (07-14-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:46 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

I love my race logic system - for me it matters that the analysis software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS - so I can use what ever computer I've brought to the track to download the data and review - also the graphic overlays are quite nice - here is a sample

https://vimeo.com/manage/327735422/general

I'm sure both systems are good - but I've got no complaints about my VBOX HD2 system w/Lap timer display.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

AiM takes the cake for the worst software UI ever. It is SO bad it’s laughable. From what I’ve seen the Racelogic UI is much better.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
AiM takes the cake for the worst software UI ever. It is SO bad it’s laughable. From what I’ve seen the Racelogic UI is much better.
This is true for sure but doesn't really pertain to the SmartyCam. Once the camera is set up properly there's little reason to use the AIM software. Now if the question is about the AIM dash (i.e MXL2) then I totally agree.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:33 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I agree with this statement 110%. The AIM UI is the worst ever and hopefully one day they scrap the whole thing and start from scratch.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
This is true for sure but doesn't really pertain to the SmartyCam. Once the camera is set up properly there's little reason to use the AIM software. Now if the question is about the AIM dash (i.e MXL2) then I totally agree.
True, but they do torture you with the software while you set up the camera. I had a SmartyCam for a short while but got too frustrated by the software and the lacking video quality, so I got rid of it and went to just manually creating video overpays with RaceRender and my SoloDL data + GoPro video when needed. Not a very efficient solution but it works.

When I see my friend’s Racelogic HD2 system running and comparing lap videos side by side in real time at the track, I’m jealous!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
Hello guys,

I search a video system Like AIM or Racelogic.

For you what's the best choice or if you have an alternative or recommendation?

Thanks
Aim Solo 2 DL / Smarty Cam versus HD2 from Racelogic. I actually have both units.

Here's my breakdown:

Aim Solo 2 DL / Smarty Cam:
+ Installation into car is easy
+ Uses your OBD-II Port for data
+ Once set up via RS3 software you don't have to mess with it
+ The data analysis I find meaningful
+ Solo2 lap timer is nice big display / easier to set up than 1st gen Solo
+ Solo2 connects to your laptop via wifi so can download data without removing from car
+ Package cost is about $2300.00 USD

- Software is not easy to use at first until you really get used to it (have been using it for 3 years now)
- File path saving is overly complex
- lack of integration between video and data overlay like HD2

HD2 by Racelogic/VBOX:
+ Software is seamless to download data/video once you have your laptop set up with the data installation
+ Can import another user's Vbox data/video to compare your runs side by side (really helpful actually)
+ Dual cameras and high video quality (higher than Aim but not GoPro 60fps @ 1080p)
+ Lots of add-on options from Racelogic to expand its capability
+ Data analysis is more intuitive to understand over AiM software for novice user

- Brain of the unit is large and hard to find a good place to mount if you want to permanently install
- GPS antenna is exterior piece and has to be stuck to exterior of car or on your dash (i have a solution to grab the GPS antenna in your car)
- Does not have can de-coded on OBD-II port of Porsche so you must tap into the CAN gateway with their layover harness (which has a short cord length)
- Brain gets HOT - cannot mount under your seat
- CABLES and CABLES everywhere; permanent mounting solution is good but hard to get everything tucked away
- Timer display on HD2 is fairy limited compared to functionality of Solo2
- COST: plan to spend $3000+ USD to get the proper setup

Summary thoughts:
For temp installation I like AiM better; I can more easily hide the brain for the camera system down low on my bar behind the seat. I have personally used the AiM setups for a few years and feel very acquainted with the software now. I know a lot of folks find it to be cumbersome but I really don't have this issue.

For permanent install the Vbox HD2 is really a nice piece.

Couple of tips on Vbox HD2:
First, the CAN layover harness to pick up data from the car is a real trick. Access to the CAN gateway is easy to grab the wires, but un-twisting the wires enough to get the CAN layover filter over them is not easy in the space constraints. IF you go HD2 I would definitely recommend you install that harness into your car and plan to leave it in place. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the CAN wires which really scares me. If Racelogic would go through the trouble to decode the gateway signal and pull in the channels via OBD-II like AiM has done, then Racelogic would be the CLEAR choice since they have a bluetooth OBD-II transmitter that will communicate with the brain.

Secondly, if I was going to do HD2 I have found a solution to pull signal from the integral GPS antenna from your car. I found a FAKRA to coax cable with a splitter so you can plug it in between your radio and the antenna, thereby grabbing a signal from your car. I found that when I use the integral GPS antenna in the car the HD2 picked up its satellites 2-3x faster than using their external pod.

Third, I have found a solution to permanently install the front facing camera for HD2 under your mirror. It is rather slick and I like it a lot. Hard to explain fully but I paired the top half of a "Blendmount" solution for GoPro with a 1" rollbar mount from Joe's Racing. I can post pictures sometime if anyone is interested to know more.

Fourth, I mount the HD2 brain in the glove box so I can store the 2nd camera when not being used and I power the HD2 using the +12v adapter port in your glove box. Plus, the gps antenna adapter I noted above? I routed that cable into the glove box to the brain. Makes for a closed off installation but completely fills up your glove box.

As for the AiM - the Solo2 DL mounts on a Ram mount which is nice because you can install it in minutes. I leave the camera system permanently installed on the roll bar and rotate the camera down when not in use. The brain is permanently installed on the front vertical bar behind the driver's seat. I can quickly/easily access the SD car by sliding the seat forward after my runs.

I personally like them both. I think at the end of the day I would ask yourself the following questions that I think will help you attain a better idea on the direction you should go:

1. Permanent install or temp install for track days only? - See my notes above for your answers

2. Are you new to data acquisition and comfy playing around to learning software? - HD2 will get you running faster but I get more from AiM data personally

3. Timer Display a big deal to you? - Solo2 DL display is way more advanced than HD2

4. Expandability? - HD2 offers more expansion options over AiM

5. Budget? - AiM is cheaper solution and can be done in steps (can get Solo2 DL first and add camera later)

Candidly as I noted - I have both and use both. I like both. I think they both have strengths.

I sincerely hope my response helps you.

I am happy to provide more information on my setup to anyone who has any other questions.

- Chris.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hams955:
BlazinPond (09-17-2019), crayon991 (08-29-2019), Hermes911 (08-13-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

i agree with chris @Hams955

but i have the VBOX HD2 - mounting is less of an issue if you have a roll bar - i added their roll bar kit and my unit is mounted behind the drivers seat on the rollbar - the roll bar also provides a nice place to mount the magnetic GPS Antenna and i get good signal..i’ve tapped mine in to the can bus with an actual splice - we were not able to get the spliceless reader to work

highly recommend @Hams955 front camera mount solution it works great - but i taped the cable to headliner to reach back to main unit behind drivers seat - cable routing might be an issue - black gorilla tape works really well
Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Sort of but not really off topic, but where do people like to mount their Solo 2 DL head units? I plan to use a Ram mount suction cup which would theoretically allow a lot of freedom, but since you have to run the cables to the CAN bus in reality you have to plan in advance and pick a spot and stick to it. I see most people mount the unit in the lower left corner of the windshield, but having put other lap timers in that spot in the past I'm worried it will make it tough to pick up apexes in left hand turns. One thought I have is I could mount it up high on the windshield either to the left or right of the rear view mirror, which has the added benefit of being able to run the cables up the A-pillar and under the header for the headliner where it meets the windshield, which I think would allow you to tuck the cables under the headliner when not in use making the install really stealth. Any input?

Also, Chris/Hams955-- Thanks for your very thorough and thoughtful comparison between the Aim and RL options. But I'm confused by one thing-- I thought the Solo 2 DL/Smartycam was a two box solution (plus cable), meaning the only hardware is the head unit with the LCD display and the self contained camera. But you refer to a "brain" unit. What is this?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I love my race logic system - for me it matters that the analysis software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS - so I can use what ever computer I've brought to the track to download the data and review - also the graphic overlays are quite nice - here is a sample

https://vimeo.com/manage/327735422/general

I'm sure both systems are good - but I've got no complaints about my VBOX HD2 system w/Lap timer display.
Wanted top check out the quality of your video but it says I am unauthorized. I want at least Go Pro HD video quality...which Aim claims to have but these videos posted all look like 80's VHS to me. Go Pro HD video with the over lay that Aim or VBox has would be great...plus data squiggly lines data.

I had Race Keeper back in the day....claimed HD video but horrible video, easy to use but could not really use on my McBook Pro so I had to buy a PC laptop. Data analysis was great and easy for me though.

I wish someone had a true HD camera that pulled into the OBDII for car info and then down load to MacBook was simple and quick for squiggly lines data. Something simple like this with out cables running everywhere is key for me.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all infos
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This might be helpful.

Same track, about 9 months apart. MSR Cresson, 3.1 mile configuration. Both laps are me; one in my 991.1 RS and the other in the 991.2 RS.

991.1 RS; Racelogic/Vbox HD:

991.2RS; AiM Smarty Cam GP Revision 2.2:

- Chris.
The following users liked this post:
amalitsky (12-24-2023)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

updated link

Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks Dave video looks good..like the graphics look

Last edited by mdrums; 05-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?