Sponsored by:

First drive in 991 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
OT: that's one of my problems with the 996-3: Doesn't have that screaming "race car" sound the 997's do. I'm sure it can be rectified with some exhaust work but don't think it's just an easy center bypass swap? Maybe I'm wrong. As much as I'm tempted to add one, sound and looks always cause me to pause. But I had a co-pilot drive around Silverstone in one with a very good driver and I didn't once think about how it looked or sounded. Was amazing
Stock 6gt3 exhaust is “racy” enough for backroads work. Side muffler deletes really open it up and shed two mufflers’ weight. It’s the same Mezger 3.6 and a big chunk of the noise experience comes from the engine itself (vs exhaust). I think 6gt3 also has less noise insulation than 7gt3. Lack of exhaust noise would be the weirdest excuse not to get a 6gt3 I’ve ever heard.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Stock 6gt3 exhaust is “racy” enough for backroads work. Side muffler deletes really open it up and shed two mufflers’ weight. It’s the same Mezger 3.6 and a big chunk of the noise experience comes from the engine itself (vs exhaust). I think 6gt3 also has less noise insulation than 7gt3. Lack of exhaust noise would be the weirdest excuse not to get a 6gt3 I’ve ever heard.
Not an excuse. In a multi-car garage with a 3.6 997rs and a 4.0 997rs already; swapping out one of the 997's for a 996 or just adding, it absolutely comes into play. One person only has so much seat time.

Back to speedster talk.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I really miss the lumpy idle of my 6GT3, something I don't hear or feel anymore in the newer GT cars.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

OT: that's one of my problems with the 996-3: Doesn't have that screaming "race car" sound the 997's do. I'm sure it can be rectified with some exhaust work but don't think it's just an easy center bypass swap? Maybe I'm wrong. As much as I'm tempted to add one, sound and looks always cause me to pause. But I had a co-pilot drive around Silverstone in one with a very good driver and I didn't once think about how it looked or sounded. Was amazing
Originally Posted by hf1
These two posts perfectly illustrate the reasons "sounds great" is highly subjective. People place different values on different aspects of sound. Intake, mechanical, exhaust, what the driver hears inside the car, what the driver hears outside the car, what others hear, etc.

No surprise here—we don't all like the same music, either. Fwiw, I like the way the 996 GT3's tune—and love the 997 as well as 991 4.0s'.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Geometries and contours matter, and your 993 remains the best-sounding 993 I have tried....only contender is one with an Eaton spinning out back.

While final engine remains to be seen, you are not crazy—and your post reminds me: While Boxster also bury their flat sixes under soft tops, they not only have engines closer but a couple of holes poked in the sides of the body, just aft of the doors. There have been a lot of great-sounding Boxsters as a result…stretching all the way back to the original 2.5.

You are a glutton. I love it!

Another prod of the memory banks. My co-driver on the Speedster trip was on the North American trip for the 981 Boxster Spyder (there are many funny stories about that trip…), and as we were trying to check ourselves on our observations of the Speedster's noises, we thought back to the 981 Spyder in Hawaii—and I distinctly remember thinking "How can a car this loud be legal??" in the 981 Spyder. Never thought that once in the 991 Speedster. YMMV...

Another memory jogged, this time of a guy here on Rennlist who always panned the 991.2 Carrera...and now I remember that he was into 991 Cabrios. Maybe they need all the auditory help they can get? But I don't remember being bugged by how quiet 996 and 997 Cabrios were...maybe we've all been ruined by the 997.1 GT3 and so many loud Porsches since? Remember that Boxsters have port holes to either side, and put them to very good use.

We did, mainly out of curiosity/duty. Soundtrack wasn't better per se—that chamber behind the seats is very well sealed. So it wasn't down for long. Maybe 15-25 minutes of the day? The car wasn't as compelling as an experience with the top up, but I will say the top was uneventful—which is exactly what you want from a convertible top. Nicely sealed, quiet, etc.

They don't love to talk future product, and I have to admit that I've never made it my "thing" because I have watched so many get it wrong. Things change, sometimes later than you think they can or even could, and I find myself challenged enough in paying attention to what's in front of me on these things. You get one shot—usually on one day—to pull useful impressions for your readers/viewers.

Would have to disagree with that journalist on the sound. It may be quieter than a 911R or a GT3 Touring, but it's still a flat six back there, and a buttery one with an edge that happily races its way towards the big 9 on the tach. Been thinking about this a fair bit, and do think something fundamental changed with the 997.1 GT3. I remember listening to the US press car as JvO punted it around Sears Point years ago for an Excellence test back to back with a 996 GT3, and the difference was stunning. One sounded like a race car, and it wasn't the 996. From there forward, we moved away from Porsches tuned for the driver's enjoyment to Porsche's tuned for everyone's enjoyment. I like them, too, but our sense of "loud" and "quiet" when it comes to 911s seems a bit skewed these days. Speedster may disappoint those who are expecting a 911R/GT3T soundtrack, and I think it is quieter than the 981 Boxster Spyder, but I certainly thought about what the car behind me must be thinking every time I opened the thing up to make a pass. Quiet? No. Quite bad? Not sure I share that opinion...but would love to spend some time with a Speedster back to back with some other benchmarks.
Originally Posted by hf1
The 996 exhaust exits on the side, not together in the middle.

That probably drives a lot of the sound difference vs. the 997 and 991.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
The 996 exhaust exits on the side, not together in the middle.
Yes, and as a consequence there is no opportunity to merge the exhausts of the two banks together...
Old 05-29-2019, 03:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This 6gt3 sounds plenty racy to me

Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Porsche quotes their weight figures in the lightest possible spec according to one of their engineers, so the Touring you'd need to compare to would have PCCBs, etc.
Just updating for clarity. Apparently DIN has changed the way they weigh cars as of this year, so as of now Porsche is quoting weight in the base spec, not the spec with the lightest options. This change was worth roughly 40 kg with the Boxster Spyder, but given the fact that the Speedster includes PCCBs as standard and buckets as no cost options it’s not clear if it carries any artificial spec sheet weight penalty that would not have existed last year... FYI
Old 06-19-2019, 03:42 AM
dawgfan1214
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison

Pete, I’ve really appreciated all you insight and comments throughout this thread. Thank you. I am very interested in your candid thoughts on this comparison question.

How would you describe the driving differences between the GT3 and the Speedster? I’m not necessarily talking about things like throttle response (though as a GT3 owner I’m still baffled at how that could be any sharper - so maybe you could comment a little more on that) but rather the over all experience — from a pure driving enjoyment perspective.

Please ignore the cost differences and any other preconceived idea. You’re one of the few that has driven both ... and I appreciate and respect your opinion ... so please just tell me about your experiential differences ... and which one you’d rather drive through the years ... and why.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to your comments.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Just updating for clarity. Apparently DIN has changed the way they weigh cars as of this year, so as of now Porsche is quoting weight in the base spec, not the spec with the lightest options. This change was worth roughly 40 kg with the Boxster Spyder, but given the fact that the Speedster includes PCCBs as standard and buckets as no cost options it’s not clear if it carries any artificial spec sheet weight penalty that would not have existed last year... FYI
This is quite true and am surprised not more people know this..In terms of the Speedster which at its very high standard list price is at its very lightest possible configuration with LWBS,PCCBs and PCM delete as standard..This translates to its official 1465Kg DIN weight as also its lightest weight..In complete contrast the new Spyder is at its heaviest in terms of its official DIN weight at 1420Kg..The standard spec Spyder has the heavy sofas, steel brakes,PCM etc which easily accounts for 50Kg..
Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Spyder75
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
This is quite true and am surprised not more people know this..In terms of the Speedster which at its very high standard list price is at its very lightest possible configuration with LWBS,PCCBs and PCM delete as standard..This translates to its official 1465Kg DIN weight as also its lightest weight..In complete contrast the new Spyder is at its heaviest in terms of its official DIN weight at 1420Kg..The standard spec Spyder has the heavy sofas, steel brakes,PCM etc which easily accounts for 50Kg..
My 981 Spyder is 1420 exactly. Comforts seats, Steel’s, PCM / Bose and a full tank. I think that also might include the alignment gear which is approx 5kg per wheel, but can’t remember exactly.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder75
My 981 Spyder is 1420 exactly. Comforts seats, Steel’s, PCM / Bose and a full tank. I think that also might include the alignment gear which is approx 5kg per wheel, but can’t remember exactly.
Because the curb weight of the 981 Spyder was quoted by Porsche with A/C delete, radio delete, smaller 14.3 gallon fuel tank, PCCB's, etc., the weight savings achieved with these options would need to be added back into the 2,988 lbs quoted curb weight for the 981 Spyder before you could do an apples-to-apples weight comparison with the new 982 Spyder, and even then you would have to also factor in the weight of gas on board between the two models. Not sure if your 1420 figure takes into consideration these other factors.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Spyder75
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Because the curb weight of the 981 Spyder was quoted by Porsche with A/C delete, radio delete, smaller 14.3 gallon fuel tank, PCCB's, etc., the weight savings achieved with these options would need to be added back into the 2,988 lbs quoted curb weight for the 981 Spyder before you could do an apples-to-apples weight comparison with the new 982 Spyder, and even then you would have to also factor in the weight of gas on board between the two models. Not sure if your 1420 figure takes into consideration these other factors.
Not sure what you mean? That is it’s weight on a scales with the spec it has...
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure what you mean? That is it’s weight on a scales with the spec it has...
Understood. Just chiming in on the difficulties of doing an apples-to-apples weight comparison between the 982 and 981 Spyders given the new weight reporting criteria, as discussed above in the thread. Thought you might be using your 1420 figure as a baseline for comparison purposes, but now see that you weren't; you were just stating what your car weighs. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 193 Posts

That's very interesting..I have a 981 Spyder with LWBS,Steels,PCM/No Bose and i need to weigh it with a full tank to compare it with yours.

Quick Reply: First drive in 991 Speedster