Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drive in 991 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Keep it simple. Buy it and try it for yourself. If you don't like it, trade it in for something else.

Originally Posted by mooty
I am a very slow reader
not an English major
and bike lagged
I need cliff notes
to buy or not to buy, Pete?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pete Stout 401k

We should all contribute to Pete’s retirement or children’s college fund.

Or just subscribe to 000.

Thanks Pete!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Keep it simple. Buy it and try it for yourself. If you don't like it, trade it in for something else.
that’s what I do
i was hoping pete is smarter and shed some light
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Even though Pete Stout is not allowed to share any driving impressions,I thought he hinted at some point the sound is not all that it could be. Perhaps I misunderstood... However,I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were true...we've been waiting for months now for the 718 GT4 release and the spy videos have been nothing but confusing...to the point some actually believe it is a Turbo engine in there! This particulate filter is really messing up the sound in these cars!
Perhaps the market is too small on the Speedster,but I can only imagine the potential in the sound department that can be exploited by a good tuner : less restrictive headers,remove those particulate filters/mesh,a tune to eliminate CEL and to control the ITBs geared on performance rather than fuel economy. Let the Speedster sing,top down,beautiful roads...and put 200K miles/patina on it. Dreams,of course...
I suppose "sound" is not a driving impression per se, and therefore a gray area, but I don't think I have commented on it? And I do have some comments...and suspect they will prompt some discussion. But you are exactly right about the challenges surrounding PFs, and no one in the industry has suggested otherwise. I do think tuners are going to face a learning curve on trying to "uncork" these engines, for a few reasons but mainly related to the required back pressure. And something no one seems to know (outside of Porsche) is how the new system will sound in NA trim.

As for 200k miles/patina?

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Awesome. That was pretty much my build minus the lift and some of the leather bits.

Would love to see a different color interior package with the car besides the heritage cognac package. It was be awesome to the Ascot Brown from the CGT because to me that is what the interior of the old speedsters looks closer to. I love the color contrast this creates with the metallic on the outside. True Speedster style.

What would really be nice to me is if they offered a more spartan interior with some aluminum bits to mimic the sparse interior of the original 356 Speedster. Less leather and less plastic. In the grand scheme I understand why this doesn't work but it would be so cool to have something with the old school painted dash and nothing much extra other than what is needed.

Funny story is that my IMSA co-driver Dan has some funny original speedster stories as his dad used to fix them up and sell them in the 60's/70's. He has told me a lot of times that his dad quit buying them at some point because the price got too high. His dad couldn't believe anyone would pay over $5k for the no frills Speedster.
Fully agreed. The Speedster really likes GT Silver...would love to see one in Arctic or one with even a bit more warmth in it. Ascot would be a no-brainer...would be neat to see square-weave carpet but I can imagine there is all kinds of legislative red tape with something like that as well as more metal in the interior. LOL about no Speedsters above $5k...I found the one I drove worth every bit of whatever it's worth while driving along the roads next to the coast of Sardinia. Not so sure I'd want it for freeway use, however. It's like the love child of a tractor and an old Jeep but with better lines...

I am a very slow reader
not an English major
and bike lagged
I need cliff notes
to buy or not to buy, Pete?
^ Short form/purchase advice, not your guy. But you'll know if they nailed the brief or not (IMO) and hopefully get an eye into what it drives like—and the close readers can usually tell if I had fun...

Originally Posted by 928cs
A funny thing about the official weight is that the norm has changed between the introduction of the R, and the Speedster.
For the R, it was possible to indicate the weight in the lightest configuration.
For the Speedster, it must be the "base" (no option) configuration.

Why do you think that the bucket seats, AC delete and radio delete were options for the R, and this is the opposite for the Speedster?
^ Precisely right, as usual...

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Haha... also funny, with the .2 GT3 engines they made the power curve less sharp for better everyday-drivability by using a 3-stage-intake and now with the speedster they go again for a more racelike power delivery with peak torque / power on higher revs. Curious to see how the torque curve really went with the new STB.
Excited to add some comment this Wednesday...

Originally Posted by unotaz
^ The best advice on the whole thread.

that’s what I do
i was hoping pete is smarter and shed some light
Pete not smarter, but will shed light soon...

Last edited by stout; 05-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:40 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

@stout Will you tell us about the driving impressions today?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Certainly, according to this:

Originally Posted by stout

Just got a note that says driving impressions are embargoed until May 14 @ 3:01pm PST.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Wrote wrong but it will be exciting news we hope today

Last edited by 80s; 05-14-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Wrongly written
Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 80s
Yep.

Last edited by stout; 05-14-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Yep.
Cant wait
Old 05-14-2019, 02:48 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I can't afford the Speedster (at least not with the ADM that I was offered) but I'm still dying to read your driving impressions Stout.
Alexa timer for 5 hours and 12 minutes....
Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bli8
I can't afford the Speedster (at least not with the ADM that I was offered) but I'm still dying to read your driving impressions Stout.
Alexa timer for 5 hours and 12 minutes....
Word doc sitting on desktop, ready for a copy and paste. Will load up, format, and upload at 3:01pm.

Back to editing a rather massive piece for 000 on an entirely different subject. I'd better set myself an alarm, as I just closed the office door and turned up the music...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

We know it's a great car. How will it compare to the recent greats? - 997.2 RS', 911R, 991.2 GT3/Touring. I am waiting for what Pete has to say and also the other journalists that got to drive it.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

Word doc sitting on desktop, ready for a copy and paste. Will load up, format, and upload at 3:01pm.

Back to editing a rather massive piece for 000 on an entirely different subject. I'd better set myself an alarm, as I just closed the office door and turned up the music...
What time is 3.01PM PST in GMT..
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^They will all kiss Porsche's rear

Quick Reply: First drive in 991 Speedster