Sponsored by:

Winter is over

Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 AM
997gr8
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Winter is over

Hi all,

Winter is finally over in the great white north, and I want to get the GT3 back on the road after 5 months of hibernation.

I’m sure the engine oil has all flowed to the bottom of the engine in that time, and the question is, should I just drain it (car is on a parking lift anyway) and replace it (and filter)?

OR, what I do with my older cars, is disconnect the HT leads and just crank the engine over a few times - this builds up oil pressure, and then I can start the car. Of course I’m not sure how to do this on the GT3 (991.2).

OR just start the car, warm it up and drive it like I stole it!

Of course I would love to just do the last option. But I once had a Mitsubishi Montero V6 - the sweetest V6 engine of any car I’ve had. Started it up after 6 months of lay-up and it made a painful loud clanging sound, for some 10 minutes thereafter. Might be my imagination, but that engine never felt as smooth again after that. Since then, I always like to turn the engines over without firing OR say in my 997, I have just changed the oil and filter before starting.

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated, especially how I might be able to turn engine over without starting - I can pull the fuel-pimp fuse out, but my experience with GDI engines has been that they still fire-up and then just stall a few seconds later when the fuel in the high pressure system runs dry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter is over