Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the 'accelerated' course at PEC. How does this compare with a real track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Took the 'accelerated' course at PEC. How does this compare with a real track?

I have not really experienced track days or even auto X with my local PCA so figured this would be a good way to learn some basic skills. Ran into this guy out front who was gracious enough to take a picture with us. We started out with a couple of times around the low friction surfaces and a couple of passes over the skid plate, I think so the instructor could make sure I could catch myself. Then it was off to the track for about 3 1/2 hrs. I think I counted about 5 sessions of 20-25 minutes pushing as hard as I could around the track. It was Friday in Los Angeles so I was pretty amazed to be the only one on the track most of the time. A big part of the experience is using the Porsche track app and reviewing the data between sessions. I think you are expected to better your times with each session which I suppose adds a little stress. Overall it was a lot of fun, and my instructor Joey was great. SO different from the street and canyon driving I am used to around home. It took me really the whole time to 'get' the track concept of either being always on the gas or hard on the brakes at the threshold of ABS. Round and around on the really tight track its probably a good idea not to eat right before you go out. We went through I think about a tank or a tank and a half of fuel over the couple of hours. The other thing that amazed me was the bulletproof nature of these cars. It basically just sat running with the air conditioner blowing full the entire afternoon, even between sessions. I can't imagine abusing my personal car like this over and over although the cars will obviously take it. Mine had about 3400 miles on the clock and they do this all day every day. He said they do check oil and tires between sessions while we were reviewing data so I suppose this is a luxury that I would otherwise have to do myself at the track. I hope I am ready to join the novice group now at a good track like Laguna Seca or Buttonwillow. I know with lots of other cars around you it is probably more stressful in a way, but this seemed pretty decent prep/introduction for me.

Jim

Last edited by 96redLT4; 04-28-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Had you taken any prior PEC LA courses? I noticed they require previous course attendance as a prerequisite for the accelerated courses, but wondering if they actually enforce that.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Had you taken any prior PEC LA courses? I noticed they require previous course attendance as a prerequisite for the accelerated courses, but wondering if they actually enforce that.
I had taken the GT3/Turbo and 'master the manual' classes last year. Not sure if they asked or checked though.

J
Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

How was the GT3/Turbo experience? I was looking at it on the website minutes ago.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
How was the GT3/Turbo experience? I was looking at it on the website minutes ago.
Pretty crazy expensive for 90 min of driving, but you'll probably get out of the cars thinking 's*it what a ride'....it really is a great way to drive the cars in anger before you buy. You could never take a dealership or friend's car for a drive like this. I remember exiting the turbo thinking luxurious, fast but ehh. I got out of the RS and thought, wow I get it now.

J
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Check out speedventures.com for track days around LA and I highly recommend an instructor; you've already seen the value. Honestly though, the most cost effective way to develop the fundamentals is to get a simulator. You can get a basic setup with a seat/steering/pedals setup and start playing iracing, gran turismo, etc. You can start working on driving line, throttle application, threshold braking, and lots of crashing without any real damage
Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Pretty crazy expensive for 90 min of driving, but you'll probably get out of the cars thinking 's*it what a ride'....it really is a great way to drive the cars in anger before you buy. You could never take a dealership or friend's car for a drive like this. I remember exiting the turbo thinking luxurious, fast but ehh. I got out of the RS and thought, wow I get it now.
J
It's actually only an hour of driving. 30 minutes are reserved for pics, chats, briefing etc.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I've driven 4 different times here (Carrera S, GT3, and Cayman S) and always had a blast! I'm an experienced autoxer and have always learned new driving skills while here. I had an instructor once tell me that they do launch control starts all the time here, and the cars never break...amazing.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:02 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Check out speedventures.com for track days around LA and I highly recommend an instructor; you've already seen the value. Honestly though, the most cost effective way to develop the fundamentals is to get a simulator. You can get a basic setup with a seat/steering/pedals setup and start playing iracing, gran turismo, etc. You can start working on driving line, throttle application, threshold braking, and lots of crashing without any real damage
Thanks for the tip. That speedventures looks like a good group of guys, down to earth and way cheaper than anything sponsored by PCNA.

J
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ Speed Ventures is great if you like to play adult bumper cars! Seriously...on-track contact/damage is not an issue for them.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 05-06-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Took the 'accelerated' course at PEC. How does this compare with a real track?