991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins TTX on Touring GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Ohlins TTX on Touring GT3?

a$10k mod, not cheap
What do you think? Too stiff or better road driveability when tuned (?) to soft setting?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

You want the GT3T to be stiffer for road driving? Not saying that's bad, just trying to understand the question.

I think if I was unhappy with the road driving of my GT3(T) I'd look at a DSC controller before modding the suspension itself. Money, ease of install and ease of return to stock.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I think any suspension mod for anything other than a pure track car would be a waste of money and probably make the car worse rather than better.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
I think any suspension mod for anything other than a pure track car would be a waste of money and probably make the car worse rather than better.

This
Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Leave it stock...unless you like throwing money away
Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had those on my GT2, the race version, took a bit of time getting them to work, lots of trial and error for set-up, tried softer springs, car bounced on highway dips, then went stiffer, still was not crazy about them.
Would I do it again, I don't think so.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Completely.. if anything add the DSC module to make the range between the soft and hard more distinct
Old 04-28-2019, 05:23 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
You want the GT3T to be stiffer for road driving? Not saying that's bad, just trying to understand the question.

I think if I was unhappy with the road driving of my GT3(T) I'd look at a DSC controller before modding the suspension itself. Money, ease of install and ease of return to stock.
Originally Posted by CAlexio
Completely.. if anything add the DSC module to make the range between the soft and hard more distinct
I plan to pick up a DSC Sport module myself for exactly the reason @CAlexio mentioned — but FYI if you have a GT3T with FAL, they don't have the software ready for it yet...
Old 04-28-2019, 06:52 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that very much depends on the skill of the person setting up the aftermarket suspension for you. TTX is a much higher quality damper than the OEM pasm one - if setup correctly it's astonishing just good they can be on the road while still being decent on track.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:02 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The question, what are you trying to achieve (or said differently, what about the GT3T suspension don’t you like and are trying to rectify?). For a street driven Touring, I don’t think much is needed.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
a$10k mod, not cheap
What do you think? Too stiff or better road driveability when tuned (?) to soft setting?
Why not try the DSC Tractive DDA RT coilovers w/ controller. This will allow you to keep the in car adjustments. DSC has a few 991's they tested their coilovers on plus Mike, the owner, races cup cars professionally. I am sure they can get it all set up for you.

https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991
Old 04-28-2019, 10:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
that very much depends on the skill of the person setting up the aftermarket suspension for you. TTX is a much higher quality damper than the OEM pasm one - if setup correctly it's astonishing just good they can be on the road while still being decent on track.
°This

i guess relatively not too expensive options can really transform the car to the point that now i enjoy even driving few miles on normal roads, i.e. just to go to work at "legal" speed

few mods that transform the car
without going to a go-kart level
on Sound Weight and Performance
-200cells and side delete valved bypass Done
-Ceramic PCCB or ST rotors Done
Low weight battery Done
-Numeric short shift lever Soon

remain the suspensions, which will push the car steering driveability and feeling to the next and ultimate level

i don t know DSC, for sure rather than factory they better and dynamically modulate through their controller the suspensions

but the TTX are made with very high grade metallurgy (titanium etc.) and twin tube technology than cheap "chinese grade" factory ones which cannot compare with

not a random fact that race/super and hyper cars mount the TTXs

10k not cheap but who tested drove them on a 991 on the road ? Car feeling is really transformed ?

with the amazing 991 2 NA 4liters engine
and the above mods you can say bye bye to 991 R/997RS/ etc.. ...bla bla bla

anyway TTXs reference for 991.1.2 GT3/RS

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-track/porsche-gt3-rs-2016-2017-991-ttx/

Last edited by fxz; 04-29-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
well said
suspension is black magic
everyone can tune it, almost no one get it right.
forget cars, even on simple MTB. you be AMAZED at how opposite the opinions are from all the world experts and winning riders.
I love simple non adjustable stuff. just drive it.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
°This

i guess relatively not too expensive options can really transform the car to the point that now i enjoy even driving few miles on normal roads, i.e. just to go to work at "legal" speed

few mods that transform the car
without going to a go-kart level
on Sound Weight and Performance
-200cells and side delete valved bypass Done
-Ceramic PCCB or ST rotors Done
Low weight battery Done
-Numeric short shift lever Soon

remain the suspensions, which will push the car steering driveability and feeling to the next and ultimate level

i don t know DSC, for sure rather than factory they better and dynamically modulate through their controller the suspensions

but the TTX are made with very high grade metallurgy (titanium etc.) and twin tube technology than cheap "chinese grade" factory ones which cannot compare with

not a random fact that race/super and hyper cars mount the TTXs

10k not cheap but who tested drove them on a 991 on the road ? Car feeling is really transformed ?

with the amazing 991 2 NA 4liters engine
and the above mods you can say bye bye to 991 R/997RS/ etc.. ...bla bla bla

anyway TTXs reference for 991.1.2 GT3/RS

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...-2017-991-ttx/
I have not seen anybody put a set of Ohlins/MCS/JRZ/KW Racing shocks on a 991 GT3 or GT3RS yet. The reason I mentioned all of these different brands of shocks is because they are all in similar categories with each other and have similar build qualities. The only exception to this is that Manthey Racing does have a KW 3-way setup for the 991 chassis they developed to run at the Nurburgring. I don't know the specs of the shocks or springs but this can make a huge difference in track only vs. street/track car. Manthey is keeping this information under wraps unless you buy a set of the shocks from them which I fully understand since they developed the shocks.

To expand a little on the Manthey setup and they silence around what they are using for setup. This is something I feel is very important that you do some homework if you are going to install a set of shocks like the Ohlins TTX. They are not a product that you can install and immediately feel a positive difference in the car such as your other mods. They are a setup of springs and shocks that need to be dialed in. It takes some track time to get them properly dialed in so they suit you. And the one things with shocks is that when you turn the **** a few clicks in the wrong direction the suspension can go from good to bad very quickly. I have seen guys throw a set of shocks on a car, go out on track and complain about how the car handles compared to stock. When asked where the shocks are set they usually give me two answers. 1. I don't know, where ever the shop that installed them set them. 2. They are on the recommended settings and I made the Reb/Bump stiffer because I was having grip issues..... These answers a both very wrong with a finely tuned suspension like the Ohlins. Each **** does a very specific function on the shock to help it control the compressing or decompressing of the springs. And this event occurs differently for braking/acceleration and when going over curbs/bumps around the track. Manthey and most quality race shops know this information and is why they don't share their setups openly on the internet or with other people. And this fact is very important that the quality of the shocks you buy depend on the support behind the shocks from your shop or the manufacturer of the shocks themselves. The shocks aren't a cure all for making the car better handling unless the shop behind them knows how to tune them, works with a pro to help get your car tuned, or is willing to take the time to help you get them dialed in to how you like them.

An example of knowing what to tune for you: Was working at Road Atlanta with a PCA Club Racing GTB1 Cayman driver one weekend at Road Atlanta. His shop had his car setup how they like to set the car up and it probably worked for most the tracks they had raced the previous year (Watkins, Road America). When we got to Road Atlanta the car was quick but it was not very confidence inspiring. The car was good until we hit any kind of bump in the track when it would feel like we hit a brick with the supsension. I could drive through this issue but coming down the hill in T12 it would hit a couple of small bumps that would really upset the car. So we turned a few ***** and turned a few more throughout the day. Finally got it dialed in but the shock settings were a lot different than when the car rolled off the trailer. Rebound was about half of what we started out with and the low speed and high speed bump (these were 3-Way MCS) were almost double of where we started out. The owner of the car loved it after we got it dialed in and the car was doing times close to the track record at Road Atlanta for GTB1

Hope this helps. If you have any questions on this please ask.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I have not seen anybody put a set of Ohlins/MCS/JRZ/KW Racing shocks on a 991 GT3 or GT3RS yet. The reason I mentioned all of these different brands of shocks is because they are all in similar categories with each other and have similar build qualities. The only exception to this is that Manthey Racing does have a KW 3-way setup for the 991 chassis they developed to run at the Nurburgring. I don't know the specs of the shocks or springs but this can make a huge difference in track only vs. street/track car. Manthey is keeping this information under wraps unless you buy a set of the shocks from them which I fully understand since they developed the shocks.

To expand a little on the Manthey setup and they silence around what they are using for setup. This is something I feel is very important that you do some homework if you are going to install a set of shocks like the Ohlins TTX. They are not a product that you can install and immediately feel a positive difference in the car such as your other mods. They are a setup of springs and shocks that need to be dialed in. It takes some track time to get them properly dialed in so they suit you. And the one things with shocks is that when you turn the **** a few clicks in the wrong direction the suspension can go from good to bad very quickly. I have seen guys throw a set of shocks on a car, go out on track and complain about how the car handles compared to stock. When asked where the shocks are set they usually give me two answers. 1. I don't know, where ever the shop that installed them set them. 2. They are on the recommended settings and I made the Reb/Bump stiffer because I was having grip issues..... These answers a both very wrong with a finely tuned suspension like the Ohlins. Each **** does a very specific function on the shock to help it control the compressing or decompressing of the springs. And this event occurs differently for braking/acceleration and when going over curbs/bumps around the track. Manthey and most quality race shops know this information and is why they don't share their setups openly on the internet or with other people. And this fact is very important that the quality of the shocks you buy depend on the support behind the shocks from your shop or the manufacturer of the shocks themselves. The shocks aren't a cure all for making the car better handling unless the shop behind them knows how to tune them, works with a pro to help get your car tuned, or is willing to take the time to help you get them dialed in to how you like them.

An example of knowing what to tune for you: Was working at Road Atlanta with a PCA Club Racing GTB1 Cayman driver one weekend at Road Atlanta. His shop had his car setup how they like to set the car up and it probably worked for most the tracks they had raced the previous year (Watkins, Road America). When we got to Road Atlanta the car was quick but it was not very confidence inspiring. The car was good until we hit any kind of bump in the track when it would feel like we hit a brick with the supsension. I could drive through this issue but coming down the hill in T12 it would hit a couple of small bumps that would really upset the car. So we turned a few ***** and turned a few more throughout the day. Finally got it dialed in but the shock settings were a lot different than when the car rolled off the trailer. Rebound was about half of what we started out with and the low speed and high speed bump (these were 3-Way MCS) were almost double of where we started out. The owner of the car loved it after we got it dialed in and the car was doing times close to the track record at Road Atlanta for GTB1

Hope this helps. If you have any questions on this please ask.
Well said, totally agree with you.

If I were to do anything, it would be the Manthey set up, having it tuned specific, and if it’s true Porsche owns 50 something % of Manthey, you know you’re getting something well tuned, will make life easy.

Quick Reply: Ohlins TTX on Touring GT3?