Sponsored by:

Side Muffler By Pass Install [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Side Muffler By Pass Install [PICS]

Kinda a little click bait. (Not installed yet- But will update this thread with install once done in a couple days)

Well, i ordered my Side Muffler Bypass from SOUL Performance.

I have 1.1 RS.

I already installed SOUL Centre Muffler ByPass couple months ago. Very happy with it. See [THIS THREAD] for details / pics/ videos

Was very happy with SOUL product, so went back for some more!
John @Soul Performance is a pleasure to work with always. Takes his time to help & listen. Helped me out with the shipping to Australia. And also helped me out with the brackets & exhaust tips i wanted.

So this time around, i ordered Side Muffler Deletes, which i will be installing in conjunction with the SOUL CMB that i already have fitted.
I chose the valved ones as you can see.

You can see in the pic, i also ordered the attachment, which will allow me to use the SOUL custom exhaust tips, on my OEM Titanium centre muffler.
This is purchased as an option. I have heard a-lot of people saying Side Mufflers & Centre muffler by passes together will create drone. In anticipation of this, and if i decide to retain the side muffler bypass, but choose to swap back in my OEM Centre Muffler, i can still use my Black SOUL tips.

The SOUL tips that John hooked me up with are exactly what i want. Black with GT3RS etched into them. They are going to look fantastic. 4" "Slash Cut" tips.

Since it only arrived today, i haven't installed it. Though i will in the coming days, and will provide some clips etc.
I wont be doing a full instructional install video / pics / write up.
I admire those that do though. What a headache to do it. Hands are all dirty, **** everywhere. And yet people still have the patience to take pics and document it. Sorry not me! But its a pretty straight forward process which has been covered my times.

Anyway, i just want to shout out again John from SOUL. Im not being paid or compensated in any way. But he really is a gentleman in helping me out, and deserves all the good words and credit.

With my CMB install months ago, i broke one of the clamps. Not his fault. Nor a manufacturing fault. Just me being too rough. He offered to ship another one out to me in Australia! I declined at the time. But in this shipment he included 2 extra clamps to replace the one i broke & a spare one!

Packaging of the side mufflers was fantastic.
The quality of the product is also fantastic. The finish. Everything about them.

Im very excited to install them and see how they sound.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:52 AM
goldberg
Racer

Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Sweet....pics of those tips when installed please!
Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I did the same except I have the Sharkwerks Center Bypass. Cold start (or any start) is LOUD, but once it warms up in a few minutes it sounds perfect!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 02:52 PM
goldberg
Racer

OKAY!

I was too excited. I installed it! LOL

On my garage floor with rear lifted on jack stands.

Total install time took me 7hrs (this is from walking into the garage, and positioning my car etc, to the end AFTER cleaning up the garage and putting all tools away again)
This also includes many breaks + a dinner break + phone calls etc.
I also worked really slow. I wasn't rushing at all.

Id say comfortably could be done in 3 hrs if you had the car on a hoist and didn't mess about like i did.

Pretty straight forward install all in all. Alot of jiggling and positioning etc.
The OEM side mufflers are surprisingly heavy.

First impressions.
Its loud!
I took the car for a 30 min drive, and its a massive difference from just the CMB.

I think its actually too loud for my liking. But i will keep it this way for at least a few weeks. Drive it. Let it bed in etc.

There is quite a bit of drone in my opinion. Highway cruising speeds, and throughout most of the rev range. Will report back on this.

The transition when accelerating from valves closed to open (like when you leave valves closed, and accelerate) is pretty much non-existant anymore. I think i will miss that. I loved how it would do that change in tone. Well, i dont appear to hear it anymore.

I do feel a bit more vibrations in the cabin also. Slightly. I will go back under tomorrow and check nothing is rubbing. And since that initial drive, i havnt gone back under to check everything is still buttoned down. But will do all that tomorrow.

Look, first impressions for me personally. Its LOUD. Again, maybe TOO loud for my liking.
I will have to hear it outside of the car to get a better idea.

Anyhow, any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 04-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

How does that support bracket for the side muffler delete attach? Does the curved end just slide under one of the clamps?
Old 04-27-2019, 04:38 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

That's a great looking system but, you are correct in stating that side bypass + center bypass is loud. I cobbled together a similar system using a FVD side bypass and GRP center bypass. I had the center bypass on first (valves disconnected) and really liked the sound but wanted it 10% louder. Added the side bypass and it became 40% louder (seemed too loud to sneak out of my neighborhood or go through any drive-thru) and I also got some sort of vibration/buzz around 2K RPM that was very annoying. So I have moved to side bypass + factory center muffler and it's about the same as factory side mufflers + GRP center bypass. After just a few weeks, I am longing for that increased sound again so maybe I will try to chase down the vibration/buzz........
Keep us posted as to what you end up running. (It is fun trying variations though and once you put on/take off a few times, the process becomes quick and easy)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

My Cup2 Tires on a badly paved freeway is louder than the exhaust.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:01 AM
goldberg
Racer

This is a very short video just after the install.
Didnt want to rev it too much as i didnt want the car to fall off the jack stands.
You can hear when i press the exhaust button and the tone changes.

More vids will follow soon

Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I just did the side muffler (Fabspeed) install also. Took me about 7 hours also with the rear tires hanging down while rear of car on jacks.
The sound is louder but I don't feel any drone. It's loudest from mid 2K RPM to 3K RPM, after that the system quiets down and makes cruising and carrying on a quiet conversation a non issue. Again no drone at any speed.
I don't have any sound clips just on the exhaust but someone taped this using my phone earlier today. Car had only 400 miles so I short shifted. Once I get to 1000 miles, I'll be able to track this car properly and open him up and hear him (this one is not a her) sing.

Forgot to mention, once the side mufflers are replaces, they leave behind a gaping hole behind the rear tire on each side of the car and I bet lots of mud and crap will get thrown back into the engine bay and may even corrode whatever is back there. Does anyone make some kind of a close out panel to cover the openings?
Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 AM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone ever seen another option, that I believe would be ideal. An old fashioned mechanical or electric flap cutout. It would need to install between the back of the cat and the entrance to the factory side muffler. That would allow "regular" valved, PSE function using all factory muffling equip but then flip the cutout open and should screeeaam like a straight pipe......perfect for underpass or tunnel runs.
(and I'm running cup twos and they aren't quiet at all but I'm sure the neighbors can't hear their noise over the full-open exhaust even when I'm slow rolling the couple of blocks to a main road.)
Old 04-28-2019, 03:53 AM
goldberg
Racer

Old 04-28-2019, 03:58 AM
goldberg
Racer

Okay,
So took the car for a bit of a drive today.

Exhaust sounds AMAZING at high revs.

At lower revs it sounds a little too "burbly" for me.
There is definite drone. But now im starting to think there could be an exhaust leak somewhere.

I will determine this later this week. Put it up on a lift, and see if there is any leaks, and adjust accordingly.

As i said earlier, i will drive for the next month, and report back. But look all in all im very happy. But i just need to figure out how to get this drone volume down.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:59 AM
goldberg
Racer

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
Anyone ever seen another option, that I believe would be ideal. An old fashioned mechanical or electric flap cutout. It would need to install between the back of the cat and the entrance to the factory side muffler. That would allow "regular" valved, PSE function using all factory muffling equip but then flip the cutout open and should screeeaam like a straight pipe......perfect for underpass or tunnel runs.
As i was installing this exhaust, i thought that exactly. Have electronic flap installed BEFORE the cats, with dump pipes under the car. Press button, and BANG- Catless straight exhaust!

Quick Reply: Side Muffler By Pass Install [PICS]