Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything to worry with a Replaced 991.1 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anything to worry with a Replaced 991.1 Engine?

As my search for my perfect spec boxster spyder is not turning up, I am going to divert my attention to finding a 991.1 GT3 Spec as I'm more open to colors and options on that one - to hold me over.

I'm seeing quite a few of the ones I'm interested in (even 15s and 16s) with a replaced engine. Im aware of certain issues or causes that would lead the engine to be replaced - but my question is do I have anything to worry about with a swapped motor? Does that affect the cars pricing at all, either positive or negative? Do I have to do anything extra when looking over this car? With mileage sub 20K, and factory warranty (or CPO) on some of these cars, should I still PPI them?

I understand that the engine has a 10 year warranty - replaced or not (correct?). Certain cars were also CPOd post engine swap.

Looking for your input !!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:39 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

If you like the car and the price is right, dive in. These are luxury items and damn few luxury items come with a 10/120 warranty.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If it is a G engine I would pay more.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

7-8 years warranty left? Take one with the oldst possible engine and hope for replacement in 5 years ;D

Joking. The car is incredibble. Buy one and have fun with it. Most bulletproof GT3 because of the warranty.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I'd be indifferent to whether it had a motor swap or not. Plus side - it has a new motor, which is good. Minus side - it probably was tracked because I doubt the first motor would have blown otherwise. I'd want to know how much track time was on the car only because of time on the hubs and preparing for (and pricing in) the hub service. Note: It's definitely possible for the finger follower problem to show up w/o track time, but it seems far less likely.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Edovol
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand you very well as I was considering too a GT3 during my search for the perfect Spyder...and I had exactly the same question (with no answer).
Finally I did't give up and I managed to find the right Spyder (and I'm glad I didn't give up).
Is the Spyder flawless and perfectly reliable? Probably not, but the open roof, the manual gearbox, a centrally mounted (and hopefully more reliable) engine make my day; in addition, the Spyders I saw around were normally with lower milage and in better conditions vs the GT3s (less track?).
Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
If it is a G engine I would pay more.
More specifically, second revision G series. First revision G series still has cam follower failure. Someone just posted there G series 991.1 GT3 RS motor failing due to excessive cam-follower wear.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
More specifically, second revision G series. First revision G series still has cam follower failure. Someone just posted there G series 991.1 GT3 RS motor failing due to excessive cam-follower wear.
Awesome thanks for everyones reply. So in terms of 'warranty' or future engine issues, I would have nothing to worry about it seems like for 10 years then (outside of some time in the shop perhaps). Are these 'G' engines (second vs first revision) are dependent on time the engine was put in? If it was in the last year is it safe to assume its a second revision?

Good point advise to check / see if car was tracked prior to engine swap.

I'm happy to hear that an engine swap is not a negative on this car, and pending that I've never had a car with engine issues - wondering how justifiable it is to pay 100K+ for something with this caliber of issues. Seems there is not much to worry about (at least for 10 years).
Old 04-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Socialpro
Awesome thanks for everyones reply. So in terms of 'warranty' or future engine issues, I would have nothing to worry about it seems like for 10 years then (outside of some time in the shop perhaps). Are these 'G' engines (second vs first revision) are dependent on time the engine was put in? If it was in the last year is it safe to assume its a second revision?

Good point advise to check / see if car was tracked prior to engine swap.

I'm happy to hear that an engine swap is not a negative on this car, and pending that I've never had a car with engine issues - wondering how justifiable it is to pay 100K+ for something with this caliber of issues. Seems there is not much to worry about (at least for 10 years).
Not 100%, but pretty positive the REV 2 G engine was never an original motor, could be wrong here. It was a replacement engine at some point. There is "COG" sticky on this with a lot more info though.

Also, the "10 years" is from the original in service date. So, it's really more like a ~5-6 year warranty at this point. Something to keep in mind.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

So the GT3 engine warranty is good due to the finger follower issue. What happens when the underlying cause of the problem isn't related to the finger follower, ie cylinder coatings, oil starvation under load, premature bearing wear, and some of the other causes of engine failures. Has Porsche demonstrated that it will stand up to all major causes of engine failures?

Also, after which point do the VIN numbers reflect REV 2 G engine?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you get a car with the issue you will most certainly have the FF problem during the warranty period, and get a new engine. The new engine fixes the problem IF your car had it. My 2015 has 31k miles on it and runs very strong. The vast majority of .1 GT3 owners will never need a new engine because of this. The really good news is the engine is warrantied for the next 5 to 6 years regardless of the problem the engine develops. The FF wear issue is not the only thing that can go wrong, although these cars have been very solid outside of the FF issue. I needed my thermostat replaced. That was it. I guess I don't have the FF issue with my engine, given that it gets driven pretty spirited every time out. But that doesn't mean it can't throw a rod in the new few years! That is covered too.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
If you get a car with the issue you will most certainly have the FF problem during the warranty period, and get a new engine. The new engine fixes the problem IF your car had it. My 2015 has 31k miles on it and runs very strong. The vast majority of .1 GT3 owners will never need a new engine because of this. The really good news is the engine is warrantied for the next 5 to 6 years regardless of the problem the engine develops. The FF wear issue is not the only thing that can go wrong, although these cars have been very solid outside of the FF issue. I needed my thermostat replaced. That was it. I guess I don't have the FF issue with my engine, given that it gets driven pretty spirited every time out. But that doesn't mean it can't throw a rod in the new few years!
Just out of curiosity, what oil are you running?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Just out of curiosity, what oil are you running?
Mobil 1. Making sure I am good with the warranty is more important than using the best. In 5.5 years I will change to something better. Hopefully I will be on a new engine by then.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Mobil 1. Making sure I am good with the warranty is more important than using the best. In 5.5 years I will change to something better. Hopefully I will be on a new engine by then.
Haha. I actually think you being at altitude is prolonging the life of your engine due to reduced compression/stresses. Bring it down to sea-level for some good thrashing and get that new motor
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Haha. I actually think you being at altitude is prolonging the life of your engine due to reduced compression/stresses. Bring it down to sea-level for some good thrashing and get that new motor
Good idea lol!

Quick Reply: Anything to worry with a Replaced 991.1 Engine?