991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS

Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Surprise to see the rear camber is more negative than the front while my 3RS looks to have more camber in front.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
And foiled by RL photo uploader again. Super slow, and then the image just disappears, with the "upload" button not coming live either.

In the meantime, sat down with Andrew Lennon from PCNA and went through the questions posted here. Began to work from memory, but think it would be better to have his questions transcribed. as for alignments and settings:

Aero: Maximum downforce for our time at RA
ARB: Both set to middle
Setup: Per alignment below, which was recommended by Weissach as a basis for optimum track performance, as set up by Kellen Miller at PECATL, who I can attest is very thorough. Not a "sufficient" kind of guy. From my own observation, both the 2RS and 3RSs on hand were very low—particularly at the rear. Gotta say they handled brilliantly...very confidence inspiring.

Alignment specs for the Guards Red GT2 RS, Lizard Green GT3 RS, and Lava Orange GT3 RS:

· Front camber: -2°
· Rear camber -2,5°
· Front toe: 0-+1‘ (per side)
· Rear toe +10‘-12‘ (per side with 8mm shims 991 331 543 84 installed)
· Re-connect anti-roll bars in the zero (center hole) position.

GT3RS Ride Height
· Front ride height: 112mm
· Rear ride height: 267mm

GT3RS Ride Height
· Front ride height: 110mm
· Rear ride height: 265mm

Obviously, one of the ride height specs above is supposed to have a "2" in it. Will endeavor to get that…

In any event, for those looking for a baseline from Weissach like we had with the 996 GT3, here it is.

Cheers,
Thanks for those numbers. And I agree on your endorsement of Kellen. Great guy.

Looking forward to pics and writeup!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I have some of these answers from Road Atlanta

1. For the lap record run it was full aero mode

2. All ran within factory alignment specs but on the more aggressive side of camber, ride height, toe and castor.

3. Randy Pobst ran Road Atlanta in sport suspension mode

4. Again RANDY ran with ESC and TC off. He posted image on Instagram of the lights all lit up.

5. Middle settings front and rear

6. Don’t have that one
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

Interesting info. The RS cars (GT2 and GT3) are shipped with the rear bar at full stiff and the front in the middle, and this is the second instance of a well driven RS running the rear bar away from full stiff (the first one I knew about was Gavin's new .2 GT3 RS, he owns AutoQuest and tracks Sebring a lot, former Rally driver and awesome driver).

I concur from my own experience with the 991 Turbo S, 991.1 GT3RS and 991.2 GT3 RS that all nannies off is what gives me the fastest lap times, but disables LC in the GT cars and I would like to have LC for time trials from a standing start.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

And foiled by RL photo uploader again. Super slow, and then the image just disappears, with the "upload" button not coming live either.

In the meantime, sat down with Andrew Lennon from PCNA and went through the questions posted here. Began to work from memory, but think it would be better to have his questions transcribed. as for alignments and settings:

Setup: Per alignment below, which was recommended by Weissach as a basis for optimum track performance, as set up by Kellen Miller at PECATL, who I can attest is very thorough. Not a "sufficient" kind of guy. From my own observation, both the 2RS and 3RSs on hand were very low—particularly at the rear. Gotta say they handled brilliantly...very confidence inspiring.

Alignment specs for the Guards Red GT2 RS, Lizard Green GT3 RS, and Lava Orange GT3 RS:

· Rear camber -2,5°

GT3RS Ride Height

GT3RS Ride Height

Obviously, one of the ride height specs above is supposed to have a "2" in it. Will endeavor to get that…

In any event, for those looking for a baseline from Weissach like we had with the 996 GT3, here it is.

Cheers,
Pete

Perfect. Thank you so much.

Pranqster
Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Those camber specs surprised me too. I'll be running at Road America over Memorial Day with my .2 GT3 and am wondering what to do for suspension setup. Any thoughts on if these values would translate well to a GT3 considering the reduced aero?
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

Interesting info. The RS cars (GT2 and GT3) are shipped with the rear bar at full stiff and the front in the middle, and this is the second instance of a well driven RS running the rear bar away from full stiff (the first one I knew about was Gavin's new .2 GT3 RS, he owns AutoQuest and tracks Sebring a lot, former Rally driver and awesome driver).

I concur from my own experience with the 991 Turbo S, 991.1 GT3RS and 991.2 GT3 RS that all nannies off is what gives me the fastest lap times, but disables LC in the GT cars and I would like to have LC for time trials from a standing start.
My car directly ex factory came exactly like the GT3RS spec, except -1.5 Camber front and rear. I will change it to -1.7F and -2.5R based on tire wear of Michelins MPSC N2.
Bars middle; It is the best setup I've ever driven.
Will add camber for the Dunlop Maxx Race 2.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:29 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

· Rear camber -2,5°

GT3RS Ride Height

GT3RS Ride Height

Cheers,
Pete this is very valuable, and it gets pretty close to what I'm running now, and I'm going to reset the car for a 6th time next week as I have been fine tuning the alignment for my track tire of choice (my Indiana Continental owned race tires).

In my 991.1 GT3 RS I needed to run -0.8 degrees more camber in the front compared to the rear (-4.0 and -3.2). My .2 on the same wheels and tires requires totally different camber based on my pyrometer reads, I'm running even camber all around, but the front says it should run a little less, so it is good to know that PCNA is already running less camber in the front compared to the back in the RS, I was puzzled as the previous RS was the total opposite.

For the general 6+ billion public that visits this site, the alignment specs above are strictly 991.2 GT3 RS and 991.2 GT2 RS. Every other 991 GT car, and the 991 R, and the Touring run on way softer springs, they have rubber in all the suspension joints, and the camber numbers are identical to what plenty of track guys with 991.1 GT3 and GT3RS have already documented quite well.

Factory GT2RS/GT3RS toe-in at the rear axle is 0.17-0.2 degrees per corner, I have gone as low as 0.15 and as high as 0.25, and my preference is 0.2 degrees (12') per corner.

Per pictures, those press cars are slammed, they have been lowered in the back, I would like to see a picture of their inner fender lips, fender liners because a 10mm drop I made in the rear gave me a nice Guard Red stripe on my MPSC2 tires just driving around town.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

First thing I noticed was how low mine was sitting in the rear on the 21"
Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How is max aero achieved?

In one of the YouTube videos, there is talk of removing something from the front end?
I imagine from the rear, its the maximum tilt of the wing?
Old 04-25-2019, 03:52 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My car directly ex factory came exactly like the GT3RS spec, except -1.5 Camber front and rear. I will change it to -1.7F and -2.5R based on tire wear of Michelins MPSC N2.
Bars middle; It is the best setup I've ever driven.
Will add camber for the Dunlop Maxx Race 2.
Mine came at -1.5 degrees camber at each corner. For the MPSC2-N2 I went -2.0 front and -2.5 rear.

I ran a time trial at PBIR a few weeks back, ran the bars in the factory setting (rear full stiff, front middle), second session stiffened the front (full stiff), last session went to my normal setting, full soft front/full stiff rear, love the rotation on my normal setting, set my fastest lap on my normal setting, and put like 6 seconds on the 2nd fastest driver at the event among all the classes, we are forced to run on 200TW tires with SCCA. The three sway bar settings best laps were 0.4 secs apart, as always sway bars are more about fine tuning and driving style than one setting that works for all.

The .1 needed toe-out in the front, the .2 RS doesn't, I'm going back to 0 toe again.

Rear toe at 0.2 degrees per corner (0.4 degrees total) is factory spec and is perfect, no need to play with other setting as I did (0.15 made 2 very good drivers comment that my car was too loose on exit, a combination of less toe and that stiff rear bar).
Old 04-25-2019, 03:56 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06
How is max aero achieved?

In one of the YouTube videos, there is talk of removing something from the front end?
I imagine from the rear, its the maximum tilt of the wing?
Well documented on Orthojoe's journal.

4 adjustments available for the rear wing, use hole closest to wing element, loosen up the rear bolts, remove and reinstall the front bolts on the desired position. Remove inner grills from both fenders. Remove 10" wide flaps ahead of the bottom of the front tires. Done.

Can we go back to discuss Resale Value, Trade-In Value, what's my car worth, a GT3RS for my teenage son, and what options carry the best resale (and a Touring is not GT3)?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S

Can we go back to discuss Resale Value, Trade-In Value, what's my car worth, a GT3RS for my teenage son, and what options carry the best resale (and a Touring is not GT3)?

I like the way you think!......... lol
Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I find this very interesting as I just met with the Michelin engineers and Randy Pobst at Road Atlanta and spoke with them about doing a new comparison with a 3RS,2RS and Cup Car like I did last year with the 2RS and Cup Car. Additionally, I mentioned it to a friend that works with Porsche about doing it at Road Atlanta and magically a lap time shows up before the David Murry event we had planned to roll it out.

Seems quite the coincidence that these ideas keep coming up after I try to plan them. I have Road America in September lined up with David Murry and my friends 991.2 Cup and now there is a press day at Road America. I am fairly confident Porsche would not have a Cup Car compete, as I would for a reference but rather maybe a Corvette.

So much for trying to get some outside support. Next time I will let everyone know shortly before we do something and keep this quiet!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
Default GT2RS v Cup

Here is the video from last year

https://teamspeed.com/articles/porsc...-ultimate-911/
Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Great info...HOWEVER....I truly wish I had this type of info for my .2 GT3.....every bit of alignment and ride height info I have read about is always for the RS and not 1 thing is test or written about for the regular GT3.

Currently my 2018 991.2 GT3 is:
Say Bars Front and rear in middle hole as it was delivered from factory
Ride Height was lowered by Vortex Motorsports in Tampa equally all 4 corners by 5mm. We didn't do corner balance though...might in the future...but was in a time crunch.
Front Camber -1.7
Front Toe at 0
Rear Camber -1.7
Rear Toe at 2mm in each side

Minimal DE day at Sebring learning new car seemed fine. MPSC2 tire wear seemed fine. I run tire pressures higher than other due to talking to Michelin engineer...I run hot at 34 front and 36 rear is my goal. I start out at 29 front and 30 rear and bleed from there...never had any MPSC2 tire issues on my 2017 Carrera GTS or this .2 GT3. I feel that as I get more use to this GT3 and especially if I ran lower pressure maybe -2 camber would be better. But I see slightly more edge wear on my rears than fronts so I can see how running more rear camber with MPSC2 is beneficial...which is TOTALLY opposite than most other cars set up for the track. This is probably a MPSC2 tire deal due to the multi-compound rubber.

If ANYONE....has any tested .2 GT3 set up info ...PLEASE....post it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS