Sponsored by:

Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
First feedback: Do I have to drive the GT3 RS again?

More to come...
That is the slum lifestyle when you are forced to drive a GT3RS .
Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

I can’t believe this is going on now at my home track and I’m stuck at work
Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Low 60s there today -- great track weather. Cars are probably loving the slightly cooler temps.

Can you share what this "media event' is?
PCNA trucks a fleet of manufacturer-owned cars from Atlanta or LA to whatever venue they are hosting the event.

PCNA employees, a few driving coaches, and maybe a big name factory driver (e.g., Hurley) are on hand to chaperone invited media guests through whatever driving experience they're offering: Targas on Route 66, GT3 RS/ GT2 RS at Road America, etc.

Pay attention to the usual internet suspects and you'll probably see other coverage of this event over the next few weeks.

Originally Posted by fskof
It's locked down like Fort Knox on a day like today ... there's no way in hell you'd get beyond any of the gates
Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

First feedback: Do I have to drive the GT3 RS again?

More to come...
no surprise there. big tracks like big power
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
That is the slum lifestyle when you are forced to drive a GT3RS .
LOL. Indeed. Rough day, emphasis on the rough....

A lot of fun people there today...don't want to blow their cover but your name was uttered along pit wall (don't worry, it was good stuff!).

Originally Posted by fskof
Don't worry, I was stuck at work too....

Originally Posted by Guest89
PCNA trucks a fleet of manufacturer-owned cars from Atlanta or LA to whatever venue they are hosting the event.

PCNA employees, a few driving coaches, and maybe a big name factory driver (e.g., Hurley) are on hand to chaperone invited media guests through whatever driving experience they're offering: Targas on Route 66, GT3 RS/ GT2 RS at Road America, etc.

Pay attention to the usual internet suspects and you'll probably see other coverage of this event over the next few weeks.
^ Nailed it. (Said in high voice)

Just add a very cool Michelin engineer and you're complete. And a RaceLogic guy, who was at work yesterday. Lap time is embargo'd, and I need to respect that, but sounds like they had fun yesterday, too.

It's locked down like Fort Knox on a day like today ... there's no way in hell you'd get beyond any of the gates
Probably right. I've never invited others to a PCNA media deal...feels like bad form. Wonder what would happen? I think I will invite Mooty next time. At the very least, would be interesting. Hell, maybe I will give Mooty a blond wig so I can sip unsweet tea while he makes me look quick.

Originally Posted by Nizer
no surprise there. big tracks like big power
Indeed. I asked every question in this thread on the record, and will either paraphrase (sooner) or transcribe (later)....but my take is: How spoiled are we right about now in the history of the automobile? I am surprised and not surprised by the dynamic similarities between these two. Surprised because they're closer than they were in the 996 & 997 GT era (thank a technology and a whole lotta lessons learned), and not surprised given the cars run such similar suspension.

I am also surprised, and not surprised, that I prefer the GT2 RS as a track-day toy. Those who like noise and small tracks may prefer the GT3 RS, but I'll take the GT2 RS, thank you. Little if any penalty in terms of linearity or predictability with biiiiiiig gains in torque and, oddly enough (at least for me) concentration. Without the racket (that I enjoy on the street), I find myself better focused. Feels less hectic—despite going faster. We didn't have anything in the way of traffic, but I suspect my preference for the GT2 RS would only increase at the average track day, as you can simply obliterate anything on the way to or out of a bend on the torque.

These are just some first, raw thoughts. Wanted to get them down. Will try to add some more and/or the answers to those questions before my flight leaves MKE—but first, I need to get some food in me for the flights back to SFO...

Best,
Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hey Joe, let me know if you need some great restaurant recommendations for tonight in nearby Sheboygan.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hey Joe, let me know if you need some great restaurant recommendations for tonight in nearby Sheboygan.
Alas, scarfing down a quick dinner at the airport. Plane boards in 10min. Pretty sure you would not approve of this salad...
Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Apparently something similar going on tomorrow at Summit Point which I will be at. I will post up pics and details afterwards.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Were they there trying to set lap times????

How cool would that be if true . . . damn I wish I would have known about this and been allowed in.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I am also surprised, and not surprised, that I prefer the GT2 RS as a track-day toy. Those who like noise and small tracks may prefer the GT3 RS, but I'll take the GT2 RS, thank you. Little if any penalty in terms of linearity or predictability with biiiiiiig gains in torque and, oddly enough (at least for me) concentration. Without the racket (that I enjoy on the street), I find myself better focused. Feels less hectic—despite going faster. We didn't have anything in the way of traffic, but I suspect my preference for the GT2 RS would only increase at the average track day, as you can simply obliterate anything on the way to or out of a bend on the torque.
This literally echoes my thoughts.

And really is why I'm planning on switching cars.

Thanks for the feedback, Pete.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This literally echoes my thoughts.

And really is why I'm planning on switching cars.

Thanks for the feedback, Pete.
The sound of the GT2RS is great. And, it’s ability to warp time and space is epic. I also agree with the thought that the sound of the 3RS, while delightful, could become a stimuli you don’t need at wide open throttle for extended periods. I must admit, however, I didn’t keep it long enough to find out as I bought a GT2RS.

Last edited by Hex; 04-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I have some of these answers from Road Atlanta

1. For the lap record run it was full aero mode

2. All ran within factory alignment specs but on the more aggressive side of camber, ride height, toe and castor.

3. Randy Pobst ran Road Atlanta in sport suspension mode

4. Again RANDY ran with ESC and TC off. He posted image on Instagram of the lights all lit up.

5. Middle settings front and rear

6. Don’t have that one

Originally Posted by A/S
1) Could you please have them adjust the aero package in the press GT3RS car? It takes 10 minutes, jack up the front axle from a corner and put a jack stand on the other, remove the fender grills (the mesh grills underneath), the little flaps ahead of the front wheels, and on the rear wing there are 4 positions put the bolts on the hole closest to the wing.

2) can they share the alignment specs for the press cars when used on racetracks, as well as target hot tire pressures for the stock tires?

3) Could you check if the hotshoes are running the car in comfort or sport suspension?

4) Could you check if the pro drivers at the event are running any ESC or TC assistance

5) what settings are they using on the front and rear anti-sway bars?

6) why is the car short-shifting at full throttle when driven on auto mode with the steering not straight?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

The LG 3RS shown in the picture that was posted from Road America has the same license plate as the car that Pobst ran at Road Atlanta. So . . . what's the lap time?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Okay, some quick snaps from yesterday…there will be plenty of pro photos to come online in the days to come, but most of the media was similarly focused on driving, as the speeds demanded it. What a great track—I'd have to think about whether I would trade Laguna, Sears, and Thunderhill for one Road America. Those of you within reach of this wonderful facility are super fortunate: Short of a roval (which isn't my thing), it's one of very few places you can truly stretch a Motorsport 911's legs.

Last edited by stout; 04-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

And foiled by RL photo uploader again. Super slow, and then the image just disappears, with the "upload" button not coming live either.

In the meantime, sat down with Andrew Lennon from PCNA and went through the questions posted here. Began to work from memory, but think it would be better to have his questions transcribed. as for alignments and settings:

Aero: Maximum downforce for our time at RA
ARB: Both set to middle
Setup: Per alignment below, which was recommended by Weissach as a basis for optimum track performance, as set up by Kellen Miller at PECATL, who I can attest is very thorough. Not a "sufficient" kind of guy. From my own observation, both the 2RS and 3RSs on hand were very low—particularly at the rear. Gotta say they handled brilliantly...very confidence inspiring.

Alignment specs for the Guards Red GT2 RS, Lizard Green GT3 RS, and Lava Orange GT3 RS:

· Front camber: -2°
· Rear camber -2,5°
· Front toe: 0-+1‘ (per side)
· Rear toe +10‘-12‘ (per side with 8mm shims 991 331 543 84 installed)
· Re-connect anti-roll bars in the zero (center hole) position.

GT3RS Ride Height
· Front ride height: 112mm
· Rear ride height: 267mm

GT3RS Ride Height
· Front ride height: 110mm
· Rear ride height: 265mm

Obviously, one of the ride height specs above is supposed to have a "2" in it. Will endeavor to get that…

In any event, for those looking for a baseline from Weissach like we had with the 996 GT3, here it is.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Road America in GT2 RS & GT3 RS