Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 PTS GT3 Euro Delivery...done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts

This looks tight indeed ! I leave between Aix en Provence and the bay area and the GT3 is not an easy car to own in provence.... Lots of speed bumps and many many dirt roads leading to properties.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Looks like a great trip! Sent you a PM...

Originally Posted by Nan P
Excellent thread!
You definitely have an eye for photography.

A snapshot of unique locations and delicious food all enjoyed while driving a GT3 - bravo!

Bucket list.
Thanks! Most of the pics were documentation, with some being more..."artistic."

Originally Posted by LionelB
This looks tight indeed ! I leave between Aix en Provence and the bay area and the GT3 is not an easy car to own in provence.... Lots of speed bumps and many many dirt roads leading to properties.
It definitely would be a challenge as well as access to a track!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Awesome trip, thanks for sharing!

Will definitely have to ED something one of these days...
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Yikes!! The road to your hotel... ummm you are very brave! I would just say no, LOL!

We used Google Earth to scout properties before we booked making sure everything was paved. We did pass up several places that looked phenomenal, but had dirt roads, super tight paved goat paths or both....
Old 05-08-2019, 05:16 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5driver

It definitely would be a challenge as well as access to a track!
Le Castellet is close by !
Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

TL/DR...Holy cow...what an amazing experience! .....I think I sprained my face grinning as much as I did!
Rightly so, what a car and what an epic experience. Thank you so much for sharing in detail!

This may look like a white jacket, but it's actually 3 tanks of fuel. I never understand how women's clothes can cost as much as they do, but every time I bring this up, she reminds me of the GT3 we just picked up.
Haha, love it. Most of us will recognise this kind of pain.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montoya
Yikes!! The road to your hotel... ummm you are very brave! I would just say no, LOL!

We used Google Earth to scout properties before we booked making sure everything was paved. We did pass up several places that looked phenomenal, but had dirt roads, super tight paved goat paths or both....
I did the same, but thought the road into the cave wasn't as rough as it was IRL. The ruts, bushes, exposed rock, and standing water was a surprise, but the backup plan was to just leave the car near the gate and walk in. Everything worked out, but this was a one and done type experience. The next trip will be a villa with central heating, a pool, and a flat screen with HDMI inputs for Ninetendo NES

Le Castellet is close by !
True! How could I forget that

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Rightly so, what a car and what an epic experience. Thank you so much for sharing in detail!

Haha, love it. Most of us will recognise this kind of pain.
We all have our vices, so I understand. All joking aside, all of us on this board exist in a socioeconomic bubble that 98.whatever percentage of the world population would never understand and all this "stuff" resets my perspective at times and is a good reminder of the humbling nature of life
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (09-04-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:30 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

True! How could I forget that

Well, if you are still here you should head over there. There are 2 very good reasons:

1- Get a few laps on your new car
2- The 3 star Michelin restaurant in the hotel in front of it !
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Our breakfast each morning would be set up on the patio right outside the room. Warm tea, toast, home made jam, and fresh strawberries did a nice job to offset the 40 degree chill!

Morning pre-ignition. Lowering the FAL each evening was something I had to consciously remember, having come from cars without this feature. My dealer has already ordered and received the clear front markers and will be swapping out the ambers during prep. I may be in the minority, but I really don't mind the wart, the red reflectors on the rear, or any other minor exterior cosmetics, with the exception of the side markers.

The nearest village to where we were staying was Bonnieux, a small, charming village that was relatively off the beaten path and thus not terribly commercialized with 2 Starbucks and a McDonalds. As a testament to a different time, most of these small villages would be perched on hilltops, with some heavily fortified, a measure of protection from attacks.

A random Roman bridge that dated to 3 BC survived world wars, mother nature and father time, but like most things Roman, it was quite the feat of engineering.

The town of Gordes, arguably one of the most picturesque of the hilltop villages in Provence, and made famous by such artists as Marc Chagall, Ridley Scott, and Mr. Bean, was simply breathtaking. As an active part of the French resistance during WWII, the village was bombed and attacked by German patrols, with more than 20 homes destroyed. Subsequent rebuilding efforts required all new buildings to be made from local stone. The small hamlets in the valley below were all named after the
families that occupied them...Gros, Imbert, Martin, Cortasse, etc....

Apparently her new shoes were #instaworthy

Travelling off season had the side benefit of not having to park next to random Fiats and busses, but when you have the space, why take that chance!

The village of Rousillon has one of the world's largest deposits of ochre, which was mined at its peak during the 18th century.

Throughout France, we would see a surprising number of Citroen 2CV's, but this was the first and only Dyane we saw.

We were the first and only ones at a local restaurant for about an hour, which was really nice, considering the location and quality of the meal...again, one of the benefits of off season travel!

Heading out the next morning for Avignon, a medium sized city of 90,000 people, but the largest one we visited in Provence. The morning routine would include the 10 minute crawl on rocks and dirt, doing my best to minimize scratches on the PTS Carbon Grey Metallic paint from random bushes, while avoiding standing pools of muddy water. Fun stuff!

Palais de Papes in Avignon, the largest Gothic palace in the world and once the seat of Christianity for 800 years, ending with the Antipope Benedict XIII.

Various cobblestone tech within a few hundred yards.

Yes?

Yes

Wasn't too bad. Weather would come and weather would go.

Fitting pic for wing Wednesday. This was a local resort about 5 minutes from where we were staying.

It's a nice place, but nothing outstanding, with the exception of this...one of the top three things we had the entire three weeks in Europe: the bread in Rapallo, the spaghetti and clams in Santa Margherita Ligure, and now this, a white truffle flatbread. Two words to describe this masterpiece: balance and texture. Unlike any truffle dish I've had.

Back home and tucked in for the night. FAL down.

Monsieur le chat checking out our stuff before heading out into the night to kill things!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Our last days in Provence.

This was our view, leaving the cave. Navigating the bushes, the rocks and watching the ruts and not getting high centered is better than 2 Monster shots! That may look like a right hand sweeper ahead, but it's really a 4 point turn and more caffeine.

Someone was getting seat time and some familiarity with the car.

Foreign roads can be a tad confusing

The best parking spots were those that minimized door dings! Yes, I'm over the line, but there was an RV in front and the silver Mini was over his.

The castle ruins at Les Baux de Provence.

A couple of kilometers hoping a truck wouldn't be approaching!

Yeah, this may look like a parking spot, but it's actually me parking in the very last slot and then some random Le Hole de **** slotting their SUV and almost blocking our exit.

Much better parking. Farm dog approved.

These two big boys were probably 500 horsepower at the hoof

From sunny to rain in 2.9 seconds and hoping the Cup 2s didn't send us into a ditch.

The last time packing up the beast. With the exception of large hard sided luggage, the rear was surprisingly easy to load, even with the buckets, and not once did I wish I had folding seats.

The filthy animal showing off her best side.

Unetched PCCBs are best PCCBs.

Someone getting antsy...

...for more one last retail therapy session before leaving.

And the final tally (ROW style):

And for us metric-challenged Americans:

Au revoir GT3. See you in 12 weeks!

Nice/Amsterdam/USA!

Last edited by C5driver; 05-14-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

So cool- thanks for taking us along!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:15 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montoya
So cool- thanks for taking us along!
Returning the favor
Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 107 Posts

looks like a great trip. this is definitely on my bucket list.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought this was Mooty's thread with all the food pics. Thanks for sharing.

PTS Rimowa luggage?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM
idyfohu
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome post and journey. Envious and looks like you two had such a blast and amazing experience!

Quick Reply: 2019 PTS GT3 Euro Delivery...done!