Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty shifting to 2nd gear under braking on track for .2GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Don’t you guys just do a diagonal flick? Always works in my manual Porsches.

Last edited by Manifold; 04-23-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:56 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what's a manual transmission?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Guys, this is most likely G forces acting on the car, the motor and transmission. As you brake, turn in and rev match, your engine and transmission torque in the chassis- this causes a misalignment between the shifter mounted in the chassis, the shift cables and the transmission. Theoretically we have dynamic engine mounts that are stiffening in this situation, but in extreme situations they still allow enough movement to cause a balked shift. Or the dynamic engine mounts have worn out- the 997 GT3 versions wore out quickly in my experience.

In in any case I recommend solid or semi solid engine mounts for aggressive track work, then tighter shift cables like the old cup cables. Numeric has the cables and a tighter shifter, but don’t do either without better engine mounts and transmission mounts. Good luck and be careful, the same forces happen accelerating out of a corner as well, and that misshift is more $$$
I can't speak for others but I'm not trying to shift mid-corner, during a turn. But as you're braking into the turn. So there are no lateral Gs. And once I try to get into 2nd and it doesn't work, by that point you've already missed the shift point and you're going so slow with the car not in gear that you're basically dead in the water in the turn. Have to shift to 3rd and lug the engine by that point. Going like 25mph.

There have been times where I've thought it's because I've gone past the gate into the reverse gate, but other times I've intentionally focused on what I'm doing there and it won't go into 2nd. Even when not on a track and just on the highway, for example, trying to down shift to 2nd to punch it at low speed. So something else is going on.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I can't speak for others but I'm not trying to shift mid-corner, during a turn. But as you're braking into the turn. So there are no lateral Gs. And once I try to get into 2nd and it doesn't work, by that point you've already missed the shift point and you're going so slow with the car not in gear that you're basically dead in the water in the turn. Have to shift to 3rd and lug the engine by that point. Going like 25mph.

There have been times where I've thought it's because I've gone past the gate into the reverse gate, but other times I've intentionally focused on what I'm doing there and it won't go into 2nd. Even when not on a track and just on the highway, for example, trying to down shift to 2nd to punch it at low speed. So something else is going on.
Longitudinal G’s and torque on the engine and transmission from a rev match can have the same impact, even if you aren’t trail braking into the corner.

Since you specifically focused on the shift it is most likely a misalignment as discussed in my earlier post. I was amazed at what a difference solid engine mounts did to completely eliminate blocked and balky shifts in my 997.2 GT3.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Exactly above
i have pdk now but my 997 rs had this exact problem
i sold the car before I figured it out and wrote it off as my inability to precisely heal and toe and match the revs.

OP I feel your pain. I felt it was something more like a synchro or something like that. The dealers and other drivers had the same problem and said the Porsche manuals had to be gently caressed to shift not like any other manual.

I had active motor mounts as well. The new cars with their rev match electronically should get this perfect.

Are you an aggressive shifter or an egg in your hand slow shifter?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ Dynamic engine mounts 997.2 Gen wear out quickly- like 5 -10 track days. No idea if new versions in 991.2 are better. One thing to note, you shouldn’t be able to “trick” them by shifting too quickly. They ‘harden’ up when the car is accelerating, or cornering - more or less like the PASM shocks. They aren’t waiting for you to shift to stiffen the engine mounts in other words.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
what's a manual transmission?
Whatever it is, it sounds like work.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:01 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have had the same issue in my gt4, its as if the transmission is to "bound up" to allow a downshift. I've noticed that it always happened when I had the car under heavy load turning...I was in the corner. I just learned to apply string theory....same as braking and throttle in straight line...I get all of my shifting done before turn in. That has solved it for me.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ Quick search for semi or solid engine mounts and found this: http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tun...oaAlTNEALw_wcB

Does not specifically mention GT3 fit, and Pelican parts does not show it fits. Lot’s of options for 997 GT3. Hmmmm, maybe aftermarket engine mounts are not available yet for the 991 GT3....
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I haven't had the problem going into 2nd while being on the track. However, I experience something maybe connected:

On Friday I attended a driver training, arranged by Porsche here in Sweden. As a buyer of Porsche from a Porsche dealer, you are invited to a half day "introduction" to your car and the systems. So Cayennes are mixed with GT3:s etc, and it's not a track day as such but it's still good fun and I will jump at any or all opportunities to drive the car on a track

The first exercise was ABS-braking while avoding an obstacle (cones). Entry speed is incrementally increased, start at 70km/h, next time at 80, and so on. I got to 120 and had no problems during the braking even with that speed and also an evasive manouver is quite violent and a lot happens. After stopping to standstill I put the car in neutral and lifted the clutch while I listened to the instructor. When I then wanted to leave, I selected what I thought was 1st, but I was in fact in reverse... Car moved just a few cm before I realised my "mistake". I then pressed the clutch, went to neutral and chose 1st again. Lifted clutch and AGAIN I was in reverse. It was as if the gear selector "notch" was not there at all... On third attempt, very carefully sliding into 1st (and also looking at gear indicator) I got it right.

I was very surprised by this, I regard myself as a quite experienced M/T driver, since more than 30 yrs and I have driven M/T Porsches since 2010. I checked the "reverse notch" a little later and it is so heavy weigthed that there is no chance I would have moved "through" it by mistake.

I can't think of any other explanation than that the engine/gbx moved during the violent manouver and "overrided" the reverse-notch. After accelerating away everything must have then settled into nominal position, at least it now feels perfectly fine again. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

The car is just bound up

Shift with patience, move the shifter into the gate in lieu of pulling it

Or learn to double clutch.,problem solved

Quick Reply: Difficulty shifting to 2nd gear under braking on track for .2GT3?