Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Crazy Germans. Love it.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people in the USA don’t follow the proper rules of the road, especially on highways. Anyone who has driven in Western Europe would agree. Notice the turn signals on the GT2 RS and Lambo when passing.Notice the awareness of most of the drivers when being passed. Great vid- thanks for posting. I think most of the negative comments are due to people in the US being unfamiliar with driving rules and abilities on the ring and in Europe in general vs our experience driving in the US
Old 04-24-2019, 05:40 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
They clearly have different risk tolerance levels there. Clearly.
Why not just hop on a plane from NJ, rent a car and try it out yourself?

Risk in driving is a factor of awareness of the participants. The ring isn't devoid of it's "heroes" but generally less so due to the lack of run off, the length of the track and quality of the surface (in areas).

There is an additional financial penalty to having a crash at the ring outside of the car damage. You're liable for the clean up and the god forbid if they have to close the track, then the clock really starts ticking. As a bonus, you'll likely end up on youtube also.

The general awareness of the drivers, as Whoopsy mentioned, is a step above of what you'd find on any public road in NA and frankly above what you'd find at a lot of trackdays outside of the race group.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Cool video. But also illustrates why I don’t do TF anymore (even after many years doing VLN and 24h). Risk/reward has become too high.

Seb is clearly a very good and controlled driver. Performante driven well too (of course compared to pro drivers most of us show room for improvement).

But the chap sitting next to driver wearing a helmet should really watch a video of what happens when the car starts rolling. The effect of head with helmet against head with no helmet would not be pretty.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Why not just hop on a plane from NJ, rent a car and try it out yourself?

Risk in driving is a factor of awareness of the participants. The ring isn't devoid of it's "heroes" but generally less so due to the lack of run off, the length of the track and quality of the surface (in areas).

There is an additional financial penalty to having a crash at the ring outside of the car damage. You're liable for the clean up and the god forbid if they have to close the track, then the clock really starts ticking. As a bonus, you'll likely end up on youtube also.

The general awareness of the drivers, as Whoopsy mentioned, is a step above of what you'd find on any public road in NA and frankly above what you'd find at a lot of trackdays outside of the race group.
Yeah. On my bucket list. I’ll be nervous for sure 😬
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a couple of ride along laps with locals. there's a ton to choose from and they all drive fast but within a safety margin.

Also, get some driving done on a sim at home with a decent wheel and pedals. The track is the same as on a good sim such as Assetto Corsa. Once you know the track, the intimidation factor is removed quickly.

I've only done 3 tourist laps (so far!) and it wasn't overwhelming due to having track knowledge. I took it easy the first lap to shake off the cobwebs and make sure nothing was too different from the sim. It wasn't. Then I just drove at a pace that I enjoyed.

Going there without track knowledge will probably mean a couple of days spent just learning the layout. It's very long.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Seriously: Do it

Join me on the 17th of May: JFK-FRA 16:10-06:05, back home on Monday the 20th FRA-EWR 13:20-15:50 Lufthansa $800
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Seriously: Do it

Join me on the 17th of May: JFK-FRA 16:10-06:05, back home on Monday the 20th FRA-EWR 13:20-15:50 Lufthansa $800
Hmmm. Tempting. I’ll be back. See if I can rearrange schedule. Court date have to move.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:31 AM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

From an other point of view

Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

In the famous words of R.Kelley

" I Don't See Nothin Wrong... With a Little Bump and Grind "!!

lol
Old 04-27-2019, 12:15 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Lambo looked to be over-driven at times although I do wonder if some of those times when the driver threw up debris from the side of the track if he wasn’t trying to make some kind of statement. Meaning trying to get the GT2 RS driver to back off?
No, they are friends. The lambo driver is quite good too, pretty fast with his gt3 rs as well.

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs Performante on the Nordschleife