Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS for my son!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe a nice new F150 or something for street (4 doors; safe, can haul friends, dirtbikes, etc.) and then a Cayman Clubsport for track events/racing. I bet you can get both for same price as RS.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlottesBest
The money for my sons car is from my fathers land.
Im sure you are making your father proud.....
Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 PM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Ill bite just in case this is real but hope its not

1) doubt you can still even order a pts rs
2) not the best car to start out on, safety wise or enjoyment wise
3) if you’re set on spoiling a kid with sports car, and you really want it to be something in the premium exotic-ish market, 2006-2017 v8 vantage, lotus evora, v8 R8, bmw i8 are all safer to learn on, plenty fast and exotic enough to make a 16yr old feel spoiled
4) carrera 4 if it must be a 911
5) do you realize how fast a 911 Turbo is?
Answer to #5 - To be honest, I do not. I have never owned a Porsche in my life.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

subscribed
Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 PM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Semitone
How much is it to change the oil?? LOL
Thats a serious question. I’ll gladly pay for insurance and the car, but paying for everything my son has to do is a bad idea. He has a job at a local grocery store paying $11/hour. He can pay for everything else. I want to spoil him in some aspects, but he can’t be reliant on me. If he decides to do stupid things like burnouts, he can pay for the tires. He’s almost an adult.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

You certainly don't want to get a young kid a 718. It's way too slow.

If you are concerned about the cost of oil changes then you are obviously a smart dollar wise guy. You certainly don't want to pay more for insurance than you have to. In my experience. a faster car will give your son a much better chance of outrunning the police if he is caught speeding or drinking. You don't want your kid to have points on his license and take on that extra expense. Maybe a GT2RS might be a better choice.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

lol @ the thought of anyone thinking buying their teenage kid a $250k race car is a good idea. I don't have any kids but JFC what are you thinking? That thing gonna be wrapped around a tree soon as he picks it up....and then someone is gonna have to scrape his brains off the road, it's gonna really suck for the guy who has to do that. Oh, and it's gonna suck for your son too....cuz you know, he'll be dead and all. Buy him a Civic and teach him some life lessons.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

OP needs a new wife, a brain, and a book or two on parenting.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Thats a serious question. I’ll gladly pay for insurance and the car, but paying for everything my son has to do is a bad idea. He has a job at a local grocery store paying $11/hour. He can pay for everything else. I want to spoil him in some aspects, but he can’t be reliant on me. If he decides to do stupid things like burnouts, he can pay for the tires. He’s almost an adult.
Ok now this has to be a troll.....OP's son gonna roll up to his $11/hour job in a $250k car? Right...
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Ok now this has to be a troll.....OP's son gonna roll up to his $11/hour job in a $250k car? Right...
is my son having a job a bad thing? It’s his first job, he doesn’t make 600k a year. He works at a cashier at a Harris Teeter that is within walking distance of our house. That’s how he currently gets there. He crosses the street, on foot. Sure he can drive to work, but that would actually take longer. Also we live right next to the SC border, and gas in the station closest to us this morning was $2.59 for a gallon of premium, so he can afford it based on the 6.3 g/100miles rating by the EPA. Again why wouldn’t I lie about a GT2RS or 918 if I wanted to lie on a Porsche forum on a brand new account?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 PM
CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Semitone
You certainly don't want to get a young kid a 718. It's way too slow.

If you are concerned about the cost of oil changes then you are obviously a smart dollar wise guy. You certainly don't want to pay more for insurance than you have to. In my experience. a faster car will give your son a much better chance of outrunning the police if he is caught speeding or drinking. You don't want your kid to have points on his license and take on that extra expense. Maybe a GT2RS might be a better choice.

He’s going to be paying for his own oil changes, but my local police department has a policy to not chase motorcycles for minor offenses, so I might aswell buy him a 1000cc while I’m at it! But in all seriousness, I agree with most people here that it’s a stupid idea to get a track car as a first car, but my son and wife really like the GT3RS, and I need to make sure the car is affordable for my son because he’s going to be paying for his own oil changes, so that’s why I asked that question.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

is my son having a job a bad thing? It’s his first job, he doesn’t make 600k a year. He works at a cashier at a Harris Teeter that is within walking distance of our house. That’s how he currently gets there. He crosses the street, on foot. Sure he can drive to work, but that would actually take longer. Also we live right next to the SC border, and gas in the station closest to us this morning was $2.59 for a gallon of premium, so he can afford it based on the 6.3 g/100miles rating by the EPA. Again why wouldn’t I lie about a GT2RS or 918 if I wanted to lie on a Porsche forum on a brand new account?
lol @ worrying about the cost of gas and oil changes after giving someone that makes $11/hour a $250k car. This can't be real because nobody's wife would ever want their teenage kid driving a $250k race car, among other reasons
Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

He’s going to be paying for his own oil changes, but my local police department has a policy to not chase motorcycles for minor offenses, so I might aswell buy him a 1000cc while I’m at it! But in all seriousness, I agree with most people here that it’s a stupid idea to get a track car as a first car, but my son and wife really like the GT3RS, and I need to make sure the car is affordable for my son because he’s going to be paying for his own oil changes, so that’s why I asked that question.
I got into a serious accident as a kid when I was 16, I was in my mom's Benz speeding very fast. Walked away ok and no harm to anyone or anything but the car thankfully. I loved cars growing up, but had a small SUV at the time

My mom's Benz was 1/100th the car that a GT3RS is, hard to imagine that I would have still been alive in that situation if the cars were switched

so in all seriousness I would highly advise you against buying your son this insanely powerful car, not a great idea IMO. there will be a time inevitably that he wants to test the car's speed and limits and the car can bite
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I say go for it.

A lot safer than what I was rolling around in as a young kid. My truck did not even have seat belts.

However, a $50-75k used Carrera 4 of the vintage of your choice and $200k in investments or a starter house when he is ready to move out seems like a better idea.

So far PTS has not opened up in the US for 991.2 GT3RS so if he really wants a voodoo car, you would have to find a used 991.1 RS (which will save some serious coin for what is basically an as new used one).
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a very bad idea! giving your son a car like a GT3RS at his age is like giving him a loaded gun. Let me give you my actually observation, I was 18 years old when I bot my first Porsche ,it was a 1970 Conda green 911T, I had the down payment and my Father co signed for the loan which I paid off full in 3 years. My parents paid for the insurance and services on the car. My 911T at the time was a rather fast car, top speed 128MPH, 8.1 0-60 and here is the problem just about every weekend I would be driving on the freeways here in California between 100-120MPH, at 1 or 2a.m in the morning, it seemed like so much fun, but I was a young kid and did not grasp the danger I was putting myself in every weekend. I look back and think how lucky I am to be alive these days. Now the car your are talking about is insanely fast compared to my old 911T, you can get yourself into so much trouble so fast your head would spin. The GT3 RS IS NO CAR FOR A NOVICE LIKE YOUR SON PERIOD!. Take my advice I was his age once with a 911, buy him a truck or some other car but not a GT3RS!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS for my son!