CharlottesBest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
bravo,OP
my dead father was an a**hole
bought me used scirocco and not even a 16v

buy my an RS too

Atleast your father bought you something! Mine told me to **** off when I turned 18
Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlottesBest
Please explain how navigating Stuttgart and having a rapidly depreciating asset correlate?
Also, this level of disrespect is supposed to be against the rules of this forum, but I guess not. Let me clear some things up. I am not a doctor nor dentist nor engineer. My wife is only a couple of years younger than me, and talking about my wife like that is extremely disrespectful. I have never been arrested nor have I even ever taken a sip of alcohol (religious reasons). My son has a few shares in some great companies, you are correct. My wife is an extremely intelligent lady and does not deserve to be talked to this way.

seriously dude? false indignation, ok let me start, nobody who knows enough about cars to go to ED and AMG needs to ask about insurance, and cost to change oil, nobody who's kid kart races would buy him a new RS, you said the money was family money,I created a scenario to explain how what you claim could possibly be true, difficult first 13 years implies you are a step dad to the "child" Please post pictures of wife so we can assess her "intelligences"

most AMG models do not get 7% off ,some none for ED, if you've done it which hotel did you stay at and which mercedes facility di you pick up at, and if you've been to AMG what special thing do they do for the visitors of each day?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

I think the OP and I are soulmates!!!!! Judging from some of the replies on this thread I’m gonna get roasted like the OP, but I don’t care. I’m a loving dad who also wanted his son to have a GT3RS. I feel you OP

100% telling the truth: I actually recently bought my 15 month old son a 991.1 GT3RS. I didn’t let him spec it (I’m an a$*hole, I know). Actually I didn’t even spec it, I just sent my wife and told her to buy whatever new GT3RS they had in stock. She was 100% onboard and supportive as well. As soon as she brought it home we bubble wrapped it, because if he doesn’t like it when he’s older we can hopefully sell it for more money than we paid because RS values always go up! If he likes it I’m not going to let him unwrap it until around his 12th birthday as I think starting him driving it early will only help for when he gets older. In my wife’s and my opinion 16 years old is only a “recommendation” and he can drive it legally earlier on our private property under our direct supervision. I’m really looking forward to the hours of enjoyment we can spend together with it.

For those of you fellow Rennlisters who don’t believe me and think I’m a troll too; as the kids now a days say “pic or it didn’t happen”, here’s a picture of my little guy’s GT3RS and apologies for the crappy pic, took it quickly on my iPhone before we put it into storage:

Last edited by Rxpert; 04-21-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:09 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

For the record this GT3RS has the same age requirement as the real thing, hilarious! Bottom left corner “16+”

If the OP is a troll, thanks for the laughs and unique thread; it’s a breath of fresh air from all the ADM & value threads here! If you’re serious and not a troll, one day in the future when you’re asking yourself where you messed up as a parent please come back and read this thread. There’s a lot of great and true advice here that will make sense once you grow up.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
Why all the hate? I don't get it. This poor guy came here asking for some advice and instead is getting bombarded by insults. Listen my friend. Don't listen to these clowns. If you can do it and you think your son deserves it and is mature enough to not only be able to drive a car like this but also stay grounded and hungry. Go ahead. More power to you. I never had anything handed to me. But don't hate people who do. Life is short. Do what you think is right.
Say a family member says that he wants to do something really special for your birthday and give you a $200K gift just because he cares about you. What would you do?

Would you say “thanks but I think I’m gonna need $260K actually, and it better come in a color so rare that it doesn’t exist yet, and I don’t want to do any of the work when it comes to helping search for this gift”?

No? Then you are more grateful and mature than the kid in question. OP’s intentions are good and come from the heart, but the kid doesn’t see that.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I called a fairly well known dealer on a fairly rare 911 one day. Dealer told me unfortunately, he had sold it a couple weeks earlier. And, also, unfortunately, that already rare 911 was one rarer now. The buyer gave it to his son for his 16th b-day; the son totaled it his first drive, a few block from his house (nobody hurt). And that’s not the best/worst part of the story; dad was back on the hunt for a replacement! (commenting this time he’d make sure it had brand new tires). I tried to convince myself that the dealer was just trying to make a scarce car that much more scarce with an entertaining story, but I kinda think it was true??

When I was around 18, I started making noises about buying a motor cycle with some money I had saved up. my dad “gave” me a $5k truck (no radio, no ac, no power anything) using that money I’d saved for the down payment AND a payment book for the remaining owed on the truck. They thought it was a better idea I have a truck I could make money with than a motorcycle I’d likely kill myself on. I did make some money with it. I did wreck it a couple times. And, while I am still alive, I’ve never owned a motorcycle! Thanks a lot Dad!

Good luck to OP, troll or nice/crazy dad, entertaining post regardless.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Kid only wants an RS and only wants it in a difficult to obtain color. Dad is too scared of wife and kid to say no and is willing to blow his inheritance on a teenagers whims. First 13 years of life may have been difficult for the kid but the next 60 are gonna be even tougher when reality hits this family between the eyes.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

OP,

I live in (near) Charlotte, too. My first job was also in a Harris Teeter at 16 years old but alas I only made $3.35 an hour ($3.50 on Sundays!!).

For the love of God, and your fellow Charlottean drivers, do not buy your young son such a high-performance car.

If you are serious about him affording the cost of this car, it's doubtful he could do that at $11 an hour. Property Tax - $4k a year. Insurance if you are honest and report him as the primary driver - at least $5k a year. Other stuff - $2k a year. So, either you are not serious about him paying for the car's ongoing costs, or you aren't buying him the car, or he works 40 hours a week at a grocery store in order to drive a GT3 :-)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert

For the record this GT3RS has the same age requirement as the real thing, hilarious! Bottom left corner “16+”

If the OP is a troll, thanks for the laughs and unique thread; it’s a breath of fresh air from all the ADM & value threads here! If you’re serious and not a troll, one day in the future when you’re asking yourself where you messed up as a parent please come back and read this thread. There’s a lot of great and true advice here that will make sense once you grow up.
there apparently is a better way to do the transmission than the instructions show, Lego has said the mod is something they considered, not addressing it early makes it hard to do later, the forums show it apparently. have you seen the counterfeit? in green and black and white https://theblockzone.com/products/neon
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Here's an idea if you want to make this a meaningful experience:

Step 1) Buy an old 914/944/Boxster for 6K.
Step 2) Put 25K aside for repairs, painting, reconditioning, etc...make it a father-son "project" to make the car right.
Step 3) Put another 50K aside for driver schools for you both (Barber, etc) -- do them together -- learn together.
Step 4) Put the rest of the money in an investment account

If by the time you get done with Step 3, if you are both comfortable with a GT3RS, buy it together.

cheers!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Invest the money.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone that fell for this post should be banned. Cringe worthy.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Brain dead as fvck.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

This thread reminded me of this show (courtesy of Wikipedia)

"My Super Sweet 16 is an MTV reality TV series documenting the lives of teenagers, usually in the United States, Canada and United Kingdom, generally with wealthy parents who throw excessive coming of age celebrations. Parties include the quinceañera (a sweet 15), the sweet 16, and other birthdays including a My Super Sweet 21 (which was broadcast during MTV's Spring Break party) and My Super Swag 18. The show premiered on January 18, 2005, and ended its run on June 15, 2008. The opening theme is "Sweet Sixteen" sung by Hilary Duff.

In retrospect, Bustle identified "the main 14 elements [or tropes] which happened in most episodes which made it the supernova of a show that it truly is"
  • "birthday tantrum[s]" ("the birthday boy or girl would be crying, screaming, stomping, or complaining about the fact that it's their birthday and they'll do what they want")
  • the birthday boy or girl's "constant belligerence" against their parents in demanding more money
  • "excessively decadent outfits"
  • the party planner who is "tasked with organizing these unachievable birthday parties"
  • overrunning the party budget
  • "the obligatory party fight" when uninvited guests turn up
  • large, expensive cars as birthday gifts
  • a musical celebrity guest performing at the party"

The best part of this show was you couldn't dream this stuff up, one of the great examples of "Reality TV"
Old 04-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Best investment you can make is in your family, so buy the car for your son.

Actually best investments are:

1.) your family
2.) GT3 RS

so this is a no brainer...literally

Well actually

1.) Beer
2.) your family
3.) GT3 RS

are the best investments.

Your wife should be commended for being on board with this. Every cool thing my father bought for my... my mother made him return...minibike when I was 8 ( bitched it wasn't "safe" in Manhattan), gun when I was nine, Playboy when I was ten and a car when I was 12. Totally destroyed our relationship. My Mom threw a fit about buying a 12 year old a car ( an E type Jaguar, by the way, because that is what I wanted) She went nuts because I didn't have a license. My father said "Any dim witted idiot could get a license so who cares if some kid has one or not"

Anyways...go for it...get the 2016 before it trades away. It's the perfect starter car and he'll appreciate the upgrade later with the 991.2 even more.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS for my son!