Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991.2 GT3 service bulletin - rear suspension (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1138831-991-2-gt3-service-bulletin-rear-suspension.html)

JRidge 04-16-2019 06:24 PM

991.2 GT3 service bulletin - rear suspension

Took my car in for service at the dealership and asked them to track down an annoying rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear interior. I'd had asked on a previous visit and they were unable to reproduce. I thought it might be loose glass or a loose interior panel so I brought it to their attention again today. This time they called me back and said the noise I was hearing was coming from the rear suspension and was caused by the "springs touching." (I assume he meant the main and helper springs?) Anyway, he said they had "just gotten" a service bulletin on this and would be replacing the springs at no cost under warranty/recall.

I had searched up previous threads about rattling noises in the rear but none seemed similar to mine. Most described "clunks" under rebound while mine was more of a constant drone. Regardless, I haven't seen or heard anything else here or elsewhere about this service bulletin and wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and/or has heard from their dealer about this bulletin. FWIW mine was a pretty early build - took delivery Oct/Nov '17. Not sure if the bulletin is specific to early builds as I haven't seen the actual bulletin yet. Any feedback/insight/similar experiences appreciated. When I know more specifics about what they are swapping out (and if it actually resolves the rattle) I'll post it here. Was told the replacement springs would arrive in 5-10 days.

jimmermd 04-16-2019 06:39 PM

Do you have a reference number for the service bulletin?
Thanks

tstafford 04-16-2019 06:51 PM

Mine clunks from time to time and not under a lot of load either. I wonder if it needs to service. Will need to check in to that.

mdrums 04-16-2019 07:08 PM

That’s for the heads up. My .2 GT3 doesn’t clunk...but I’m wonder what the difference in the springs is?

Dougr743 04-16-2019 07:11 PM

if there is a service bulletin, they should contact us?

n2cars 04-16-2019 07:12 PM

My car is going into tomorrow for exhaust problems. I will ask about the springs

The Pope 04-16-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dougr743 (Post 15778440)
if there is a service bulletin, they should contact us?

No, they have to contact us in case it's a recall, usually safety related.

StanfordCardGT3 04-16-2019 07:38 PM

Might only be affecting some GT3s depending on production month and not all as well. I took delivery of mine in Sept 2018 and was at dealer very recently (last 2 weeks) with no bulletins.

Matrog 04-16-2019 08:16 PM

How bulletins are used ...

Only if you were to complain about a specific problem that is addressed by a bulletin, would the remedy outlined in the bulletin be performed. As noted above, this is different than a safety recall or voluntary campaign where all potentially covered vehicles receive the upgrade. The latter are usually safety related. As you can imagine, noise doesn't fall under the heading of safety.

If the suspension noise issue discussed above is just covered by a technical service "bulletin," don't expect any action unless you make a specific complaint covered by the bulletin.

That being said, my late production GT3 definitely makes a rear suspension "clunk" when hitting even small potholes. Sounds/feels like the rear shocks bottoming out. Perhaps it is the springs being fully compressed with no more compliance available. I don't know.

If anyone can get his hands on the bulletin, I would be very interested in what it addresses and how.

Thanks !

FourT6and2 04-16-2019 08:42 PM

My car has 6K miles. I've not experienced any noises, clunks, or rattles. If it's from the springs, I'd be interested in knowing how a new set of springs fixes this.

JRidge 04-16-2019 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by jimmermd (Post 15778391)
Do you have a reference number for the service bulletin?
Thanks

I don't have the ref. # and the service advisor was light on details. Was hoping I could learn more here. But when I hear more from the dealer, find out anything about how many cars might be affected, what the difference in the spring is, etc., I'll share it here.

n2cars 04-16-2019 11:58 PM

I spoke with my service manager late tonight and he is not aware of any bulletin but will check on it for me. taking my car in tomorrow

csfastp 04-17-2019 09:07 AM

I had the same issue with my car. Had it back to the dealer several times. The dealer loosened some rear suspension bolts then re torque the bolts and fixed the noise in rear of the car. I was in the dealer yesterday and asked about service bulletin and they could find anything.

JRidge 04-17-2019 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
bulletin attached

cox1974 04-17-2019 11:54 AM

Thanks a lot.. Very helpful :-)