Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Swift Track Springs installed GT2RS (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1138761-swift-track-springs-installed-gt2rs.html)

Streetking 04-16-2019 10:40 AM

Swift Track Springs installed GT2RS

Had the Swift Track springs installed on my GT2, slightly firmer ride but good, feels more precise on turn in on the street. I will report back after my first track day. I've used Swift springs before on other cars and have had great luck...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...801933d608.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f4906aa324.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...29bce5dd97.jpg

FourT6and2 04-16-2019 11:33 AM

You should track the car stock first. Then make whatever modifications you think are needed, then track the car again and see if there are any improvements or if it actually made the car worse.

Streetking 04-16-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15777352)
You should track the car stock first. Then make whatever modifications you think are needed, then track the car again and see if there are any improvements or if it actually made the car worse.

Good point and I do get what your saying. I have a good friend who tracks a lot, extremely fast and has had a lot of time behind a wheel of a 2RS. His impressions were the car was too "soft". We both have very similar driving styles so I decided to just try these.. BBI uses them on their set ups also.. This is not going to be my track only car anyway, my ACR is..

Jickel180 04-16-2019 12:14 PM

Well, it looks the business at the very least. :D Did Porsche go with a softer spring rate on the 2RS?

FourT6and2 04-16-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jickel180 (Post 15777465)
Well, it looks the business at the very least. :D Did Porsche go with a softer spring rate on the 2RS?

I don't believe so. I think they're even stiffer than the 3RS. I can't find an exact number but one article states the springs rates are 30% higher than the .2 3RS, which are 100nm front and 160nm rear.

Hams955 04-16-2019 03:35 PM

Interestingly enough my 3RS and my friend's 2RS both went FASTER running the cars with the sport mode off and swaybars in full soft setting. This was at our home track in Cresson, TX on the 3.1 mile configuration.

COTA is pretty smooth and high speed but I would be curious to see. I'd run your car on both sport mode and non-sport mode to see the difference. COTA surface has improved but stiffer springs don't always translate into faster times. You increase turn-in but can reduce mechanical grip on a bumpy track.

Good luck.

Streetking 04-17-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hams955 (Post 15777983)
Interestingly enough my 3RS and my friend's 2RS both went FASTER running the cars with the sport mode off and swaybars in full soft setting. This was at our home track in Cresson, TX on the 3.1 mile configuration.

COTA is pretty smooth and high speed but I would be curious to see. I'd run your car on both sport mode and non-sport mode to see the difference. COTA surface has improved but stiffer springs don't always translate into faster times. You increase turn-in but can reduce mechanical grip on a bumpy track.

Good luck.

Thanks, I have run Cresson and Cota is a lot smoother. I actually stiffened up the settings in my ACR and went faster at Cota which is my home track. I have 1780 miles at Cota in my ACR, still on stock Khumos, so I experimented with a few settings, then again, the Viper is a different animal than the GT2..

Seth Thomas 04-17-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hams955 (Post 15777983)

Good luck.

Makes sense the cars were faster at Cresson with the softer settings since that track is very bumpy. At COTA with the smoother surface I would bet the sport mode and stiffer bar settings would be faster.

Make note that when Randy Pobst drove the 3RS and the 2RS at Road Atlanta for his record laps, Porsche had both the front and rear bars set in the medium setting along with running the laps with the sport suspension setting turned on.

Hams955 04-17-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas (Post 15780080)
Makes sense the cars were faster at Cresson with the softer settings since that track is very bumpy. At COTA with the smoother surface I would bet the sport mode and stiffer bar settings would be faster.

Make note that when Randy Pobst drove the 3RS and the 2RS at Road Atlanta for his record laps, Porsche had both the front and rear bars set in the medium setting along with running the laps with the sport suspension setting turned on.

Good points except I would not blindly assume that swapping to a stiffer spring package would result in a faster car on any track. If it were me I would have tested a baseline with the car un-modified before making a judgement call.

Side bar- do you happen to know what kind of setup angles the cars were running when Randy drove the cars? I have been curious to know if they set up with bar/aero changes only or if they adjusted the angles of the cars as well.

- Chris.

Seth Thomas 04-17-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hams955 (Post 15780100)
Good points except I would not blindly assume that swapping to a stiffer spring package would result in a faster car on any track. If it were me I would have tested a baseline with the car un-modified before making a judgement call.

Side bar- do you happen to know what kind of setup angles the cars were running when Randy drove the cars? I have been curious to know if they set up with bar/aero changes only or if they adjusted the angles of the cars as well.

- Chris.

What I do know on this is that Porsche adjusted the cars to the most aggressive factory specs. Camber was maxed within the factory recommended settings, ride height was lowered to minimum factory recommended settings, aero was maximum on the front and rear, but I do not know about the toe settings used on the cars. Randy did run with ESC+TC turned off along with sport suspension turned on. Hot tire pressures on the MPSC2R tire were 35 PSI

Hams955 04-17-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas (Post 15780826)
What I do know on this is that Porsche adjusted the cars to the most aggressive factory specs. Camber was maxed within the factory recommended settings, ride height was lowered to minimum factory recommended settings, aero was maximum on the front and rear, but I do not know about the toe settings used on the cars. Randy did run with ESC+TC turned off along with sport suspension turned on. Hot tire pressures on the MPSC2R tire were 35 PSI

Appreciate the feedback. I somewhat assumed this to be the case as Porsche would want to run a car pretty close to factory specs without being questioned. - Just goes to show how fast they are out of the box.

- Thank you sir.

mdrums 04-17-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas (Post 15780826)

thanks Seth, interesting info for sure....wonder what “factory” minimum ride height is? Nothing in my 2018 GT3 owners manual says anything about ride height.