Sponsored by:

Best track weapon value: heavily modded .1 GT3 or stock-ish .1 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Best track weapon value: heavily modded .1 GT3 or stock-ish .1 GT3RS

In a similar vein to the recent thread on the .1 GT3RS vs .2 GT3, if one were to strictly extract maximum performance on the track, is a .1 GT3 that can be modded (excluding power mods) to surpass the performance and track feel of a .1 GT3 RS with minimal mods, a better overall value including long term resale after extended track use/ownership. Right now the .1 GT3s are running $40k-50k below the .1 GT3RS which leaves a lot of room for various performance improvements, but the RS has the advantage of having wider track/wheels and of course superior aero right out of the box. What would be the go-to mods’ approximate cost, assuming Cup type suspensions, damper/DSC remaps, wider wheels (limited of course by .1GT3 bodywork), canards, wing, anything else other than power to reach performance parity? Considering the pros and cons of each choice prior to purchase. Thx in advance.

Edit: want the car to be street legal (no trailering).

Last edited by FogCitySF; 04-11-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

If u are buying just for track

Get a 997 cup with KMP

No reason to beat up street car
Old 04-11-2019, 04:51 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Thx. Want to keep it street legal. Should have mentioned in thread.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Tires are going to be the most important thing rather than power. That is why a GT4 Clubsport can lap certain tracks faster than a 918 Spyder. From that perspective, assuming you don't run into any RWS issues, a .1 GT3 + $40k of mods (much less $4-5k) is probably going to be faster than a stock .1 RS.

Whether you are considering resale in your determination of value or not may change things. Mod money is pretty much down the drain at time of resale.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

.1 GT3. No question. 10 yr or 120k mile engine warranty for the win.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Thx. Is it possible to get more rubber on the .1 GT3 and widening the track (lower offset) despite not having the flared fenders? The .1 GT3RS has advantage of extra half inch of rim.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe not the answer you are looking for.
Mods are not going to make you significantly faster, just a lot poorer.
Driver is usually the major variable.
You need:
car you can easily afford...
so that you can use $$$ for
1. LOTS of track time
2.Professional coaching
3.consumables
Old 04-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

So true... my experience (even on fast tracks): all 991 GT3 are more capable than a minor/medium experienced driver. If you are in a group of drivers with similar experience and mixed through the palette of .1GT3, RS and .2 GT3. You will notice some are a bit faster than others but no correlation to the cars. If the material is a factor, than the tires. I run pilot sport 4S (.1 GT3) and I'm usually as fast as RS/.2 with same experienced drivers on fast tracks. On slower tracks with tight corners this is only possible for certain laps because the tires become to hot then.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Agree driver is the biggest driver of who is faster in any group of 991 GT's. Also, it's not apples and oranges to look at a 991.1-3+mod costs vs a 991.1-3rs purchase price. If you smashed both into a wall and totaled them and/or you literally kept the car forever, it would be a valid calculation. All other scenarios, the costs of mods you make at best keep the value of the car you own flat vs stock, but usually make it worth less come time to sell. The extra dough you roll into an RS stays there, market fluctuations adjusted (but you have mkt movement/depreciation on both). Biggest difference on running costs is if you buy track insurance. But 130k+40k mods 991.1gt3 is not the same money as 170k 991.1-3rs.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

1. Coaching
2. Simulator training
3. Tires
4. Brakes

It took me too long to realize the value and benefit of good coaching and simulator training. For me it very helpful. Then selecting the proper tires and brake set up. Everything else to me was just slightly incremental. YMMV.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

The above comments are definitely correct.

But to answer your question - for my money I think the .1 GT3 w/ cash to spare on is the better option. The majority of my "mod" money would go in to safety - harness bar, proper seats, six point harness.

Not that you asked: but for your purpose I'd avoid PCCB in either version.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Absolutely agree with what others are saying. Its all down to seat time and then more seat time with coaching. Either car is insanely capable right out of the factory. Don't mess with it until you are truly extracting the most of out the car. On my cars I really only change a few things in effort to keep it still street legal and not to mess with the warranty...upgrade brake fluid, upgrade brake pads, add half cage and harnesses. That's it. If you start getting too fancy you will spend insane amounts of money for negligible gains. Keep it simple, the biggest variable that can be improved is the driver.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

RS, all you need are off road tubular exhaust manifolds, a harness bar and harnesses, and a track alignment. 95% of the RS cars came with light weight buckets as well.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Totally agree and plan on continuing to do what you suggested (coaching from race pros, etc). I’m an advanced driver, track two vehicles (BMW and Shelby) and I’m generally able to take advantage of performance modifications/enhancements.

Originally Posted by Captain Scurry
Maybe not the answer you are looking for.
Mods are not going to make you significantly faster, just a lot poorer.
Driver is usually the major variable.
You need:
car you can easily afford...
so that you can use $$$ for
1. LOTS of track time
2.Professional coaching
3.consumables
Old 04-12-2019, 01:07 PM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with the overall suggestions here. Made safety improvements first, seat, bar and harnesses. Drove the car until I knew what it wanted. Tires first, spare wheels. AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam. The PCCBs became the obvious Achilles heel quickly so I added the AP braking setup. Through all of this I had other instructors ride with me every time I went to the track to help me sort whether the changes were me or the car. Now it is just tweaking things like adding caster pucks to run larger front tires and solid joints to improve turn in response. Maybe next year we add coil overs and DSC.

The one thing no one has mentioned that made a noticeable difference early is that a better driving experience can be realized by getting a proper alignment. The car came alive for me after TPC worked their magic and for example, I could put power down much earlier after setting the car up for this.

I always tell my students not to make changes until they can demonstrate why they need them and I try to do that myself. And try to change only one thing at a time or you may have trouble telling which changes are contributing the most.

Quick Reply: Best track weapon value: heavily modded .1 GT3 or stock-ish .1 GT3RS