Sponsored by:

Northeast US; Spring weather reveals Massive Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:55 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Northeast US; Spring weather reveals Massive Potholes

Now that the Northeast snows (New Jersey specifically) are over the annual potholes (more like sinkholes) are everywhere. They're worse than I can ever recall. You just can't get away from them, or even around them. Choosing an alternate route doesn't help. If you're going slow enough you can sometimes minimize their affect or avoid them, but even then there's so many that sometimes you have no alternative but to run right over them. And I'm talking humungous, repetitive potholes at critical road sections. Even the malls and supermarkets have them. Some are very dangerous. At night I have to use my truck.

I want to street drive my new GT3 and I have to plan alternate routes just to avoid the potholes. Do potholes ever form on Northeast tracks?

It's going to be months until they're repaired, if at all. Besides going slow is there anything I can do to avoid tire, rim damage, and mis-alignment? For now I'm trying to memorize where they're located, but that doesn't always work. Can anyone offer any practical advice besides moving (reduce tire pressure)? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I did buy the tire protection plan, but that doesn't cover rims or sidewalls.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Meh, you should come to Boston. Our highways look like the Baja 1000 course.

To your question, downsize your wheels to allow fitment of a higher profile tire. Other than that weave.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Here in Western Mass it's not as bad as in years past....not great but not horrible
Old 04-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To avoid pot holes perhaps trailer ?. Teaches you to look ahead? Unavoidable at times- I get multiple wheel straightening discounts. lol
Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Same story here in Chicagoland..
Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Boston not much better either
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes you wonder where all the tax dollars are going.. Rich states and bad roads.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:50 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

That's why my GT3 is in FLA. RI really sucks because the thieves lay 1 -2 inches of asphalt and say they laid 5-6 inches. Thievery at its finest
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
That's why my GT3 is in FLA. RI really sucks because the thieves lay 1 -2 inches of asphalt and say they laid 5-6 inches. Thievery at its finest
haha. True... Time to move, when you cant drive your GT3/RS or whatever else you got due to poor roads. So solution is not to wrap or buy tire protection but get out of the state..
Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

[QUOTE=sdm100;15764231]That's why my GT3 is in FLA. RI really sucks because the thieves lay 1 -2 inches of asphalt and say they laid 5-6 inches. Thievery at its finest[QUOTE]
Not different situation here in Italy... In the south (where i live) especially
Old 04-10-2019, 05:19 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Connecticut payed for the damage if from a state road and it’s not posted as limited liability because of construction. Perhaps that has changed.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Now that the Northeast snows (New Jersey specifically) are over the annual potholes (more like sinkholes) are everywhere. They're worse than I can ever recall. You just can't get away from them, or even around them. Choosing an alternate route doesn't help. If you're going slow enough you can sometimes minimize their affect or avoid them, but even then there's so many that sometimes you have no alternative but to run right over them. And I'm talking humungous, repetitive potholes at critical road sections. Even the malls and supermarkets have them. Some are very dangerous. At night I have to use my truck.

I want to street drive my new GT3 and I have to plan alternate routes just to avoid the potholes. Do potholes ever form on Northeast tracks?

It's going to be months until they're repaired, if at all. Besides going slow is there anything I can do to avoid tire, rim damage, and mis-alignment? For now I'm trying to memorize where they're located, but that doesn't always work. Can anyone offer any practical advice besides moving (reduce tire pressure)? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Took two tires out on my Cayenne GTS not long ago going towards Summit on 24 and that was a effing crater! New Jersey should use all the high taxes we pay and put it to the freaking roads! I live in Jersey City just outside the city, I have 295/35r21s and that's definitely not enough side wall. My tire plan does cover sidewalls and wheels, are you sure that yours does not?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK

While reduced tire pressure will soften the ride it'll also make your wheels more susceptible to damage because the tire's sidewall will flex easier.

I'm from New York and remember driving down some roads there wondering just how many car parts rattle off. The roads are MUCH better out west.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I’m in Central Jersey. The roads are terrible. Takes until mid May before they rise to the level of “fair”.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Ohio is big on raising gasoline taxes and running lotteries for better schools and roads. Haven't observed either in the last ten years. The shortest drive to my local dealer in Cincinnati looks like a tank proving ground.

Quick Reply: Northeast US; Spring weather reveals Massive Potholes