Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 IS faster

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:21 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

- GT2RS is vastly faster on acceleration past 60mph (and so is my 991 Turbo S, 720S, and plenty others by a lot).

- The massive power difference helps a lot on lap times.

- GT3RS is slightly better at braking because of: around 150 lbs less weight (real cars weight, no brochure weight), more downforce, better weight distribution.

- GT3RS is slightly better at all turns, because of weight, downforce, weight distribution.

- Both cars use the same suspension and brake components.

- 99% of the owners here can't get anywhere close to a Pro driver on the same day/car/tires/racetrack, I call close 1 second per minute (or better) on a racetrack.

- At Road Atlanta, the two cars on same driver/tires were only 1.3 seconds apart, despite of three straights were the GT2RS can build the gap (before running out of distilled water).

- At the Nurburgring, for about 4 minutes, the GT2RS only builds 2.7 secs on the GT3RS, despite of the many full throttle sections everywhere at the Ring.

- The GT2RS will produce better lap times (before running out of water) at most tracks.

- I would bet that Mid-Ohio, Roebling Road, Sonoma, Optima Challenge AutoX and Speed-Stops, The Dragon, and anything similar would be places where the GT2RS and GT3RS are too close in performance.

- GT2RS is the King of all 911s, but only a few drivers can truly explore its performance. For the few GT2RS I have had on my track sessions the last 3 months, all I get is an occasional point-by and color-blind attitude towards Blue flags (McLaren and Corvette drivers tend to do the same).

....and because this forum is the "New Marketplace", the GT2RS is depreciating faster than the GT3RS, so I wait patiently to trade my 991TTS for the King of all 911s.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
Please refresh my memory. How many track records does the GT3RS hold now? The GT2RS holds so many now it's hard to keep up with the list, and it's accomplished this impressive record against everything, including hypercars. Here's a little wake up call marker for you. At Laguna Seca, which is not a long, fast track, the GT2RS set a lap time five seconds faster than the GT3RS. Unlike a lot of you guys, I'm not out to denigrate one of the cars, I really like the GT3RS and I respect what it can do with less, but when it comes to the king of the 911's, the GT2RS is it.
Whoohoo! You win. Lol.
But, but....we still have that video.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A/S
- GT2RS is vastly faster on acceleration past 60mph (and so is my 991 Turbo S, 720S, and plenty others by a lot).

- The massive power difference helps a lot on lap times.

- GT3RS is slightly better at braking because of: around 150 lbs less weight (real cars weight, no brochure weight), more downforce, better weight distribution.

- GT3RS is slightly better at all turns, because of weight, downforce, weight distribution.

- Both cars use the same suspension and brake components.

- 99% of the owners here can't get anywhere close to a Pro driver on the same day/car/tires/racetrack, I call close 1 second per minute (or better) on a racetrack.

- At Road Atlanta, the two cars on same driver/tires were only 1.3 seconds apart, despite of three straights were the GT2RS can build the gap (before running out of distilled water).

- At the Nurburgring, for about 4 minutes, the GT2RS only builds 2.7 secs on the GT3RS, despite of the many full throttle sections everywhere at the Ring.

- The GT2RS will produce better lap times (before running out of water) at most tracks.

- I would bet that Mid-Ohio, Roebling Road, Sonoma, Optima Challenge AutoX and Speed-Stops, The Dragon, and anything similar would be places where the GT2RS and GT3RS are too close in performance.

- GT2RS is the King of all 911s, but only a few drivers can truly explore its performance. For the few GT2RS I have had on my track sessions the last 3 months, all I get is an occasional point-by and color-blind attitude towards Blue flags (McLaren and Corvette drivers tend to do the same).

....and because this forum is the "New Marketplace", the GT2RS is depreciating faster than the GT3RS, so I wait patiently to trade my 991TTS for the King of all 911s.
Bingo. We have a winner and someone else calling it straight. 👍
Old 04-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Driver plus weight and weight distribution. They don't handle identical but handling alone won't close that Hp and torque gap!
Wait it just did. It’s right there on film. I’m confused. Oh, I forgot 2RS driver sucks.

More excuses.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Driver plus weight and weight distribution. They don't handle identical but handling alone won't close that Hp and torque gap!
Wait it just did. It’s right there on film. I’m confused. Oh, I forgot 2RS driver sucks.

More excuses.

Both seemed like the fastest guys out there...by far.

Maybe i I need an eye exam??? Lol

No doubt the 2RS is the King when it comes to brute power and acceleration. Stipulate to that. But as far as King of the track Evo had a different take despite all the track records you can collect with 700hp. In the real world it seems the 3RS is for many the better track weapon and fully capable of collecting its share of point by’s from 2RSs in Open passing DEs.

When I see the 2RS as an IMSA or FIA homlogation basis for a PAG Motorsport entry then I’ll be interested. Only the 3RS holds that card despite all the “track records” the 3RS holds with its 700 hp which it should be collecting with that amount of twist.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JFC. Is there a way to block a user so that you don't have to waste time with their garbage opinions and commentary?

Edit: Yes! You can. https://rennlist.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist
The benefits are immediate and amazing!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
JFC. Is there a way to block a user so that you don't have to waste time with their garbage opinions and commentary?
Funny you should ask was just wondering same. Lol.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:18 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AhsanU
Thanks for the video! 3RS is slower, but a much more fun car to track I bet
Yes....as the saying goes..."much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow...."

In all seriousness...Waxer, if you are ever out on the west coast, send me a PM and you can drive the 2RS to see that it's not as bad as you think.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Come on, I have a 3RS.2 and would straight up trade in a second for a 2RS....most 3Rs.2 owners would. I think that is the first turbo Porsche I really lust after.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

GT3/GT3RS drivers find out that they are in way over their head when stepping up to cars over 600 H.P... Especially when moving to 720s/GT2rs/Pista.

Noting so magical about just smashing the accelerator to 100% every chance one gets. A lot more patience is needed to drive the higher horse power cars and a lot harder to get consistent when modulating a throttle. It'll probably take many, many track days to even adjust to cars like 720s/gt2rs/pista... but once a person does then its lights out.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Come on, I have a 3RS.2 and would straight up trade in a second for a 2RS....most 3Rs.2 owners would. I think that is the first turbo Porsche I really lust after.
I suspect you're right. I was skeptical about the 2RS but became a believer on my first drive. I won't sell my 3RS as the engine is a masterpiece, but as Chris Harris said - the 2RS is one of the most exciting cars of the decade.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ak432
Yes....as the saying goes..."much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow...."

In all seriousness...Waxer, if you are ever out on the west coast, send me a PM and you can drive the 2RS to see that it's not as bad as you think.
Would love to take your up on that. 👍

I’m an NA guy but I could be converted. 😁
Old 04-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
GT3/GT3RS drivers find out that they are in way over their head when stepping up to cars over 600 H.P... Especially when moving to 720s/GT2rs/Pista.

Noting so magical about just smashing the accelerator to 100% every chance one gets. A lot more patience is needed to drive the higher horse power cars and a lot harder to get consistent when modulating a throttle. It'll probably take many, many track days to even adjust to cars like 720s/gt2rs/pista... but once a person does then its lights out.
i know your a track junkie like me. Throttle Dogs just ran the 720S and other Macs along with 3RS. Interesting impressive results for 3RS.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

After watching that, I have new respect for the accuracy of AssettoCorsa. And I notice a few places where my lines have been wrong!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Actually, that's not true. I just passed up an opportunity to upgrade. Yes the GT2 is faster but the GT3 is just a touch more special in my opinion(and think it will be moving forward in a world of turbos). No offense to anyone out there but If I felt like I needed 'the biggest stick' I'd probably go and buy a 720S.

Quick Reply: GT2 IS faster