Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 - Fun in daily driving in populated city setting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 857 Posts
Default GT3 - Fun in daily driving in populated city setting?

I live in the northeast. I dont have the texas or north carolina roads. How bad is the torque situation down low around 1000-4500 rpm? I dont think its practical to wind up the engine to 9000 rpm during weekend driving 80% of the time. We dont have the cali canyons here either.

I did drive a 991.2 GT3 and yes its punchy down low vs 991.1 but I dont know if it will get boring and underwhelming on a long term basis.

Is this why there are so many used cars with very low miles? Is it because people buy these cars buying into the hype, first few hundred miles its cool then it wears off and they realize they have this $180,000 car that you cant really properly enjoy 80% of the time?

Current car : 2019 ZR1. Yes it makes more than 2X the torque of GT3. But i m ready to give it up just not sure if i will miss that sheer power. Car hits 98 in 2nd gear, 135 in 3rd gear. I think its a gear higher than GT3 in any gear.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Is this why there are so many used cars with very low miles? Is it because people buy these cars buying into the hype, first few hundred miles its cool then it wears off and they realize they have this $180,000 car that you cant really properly enjoy 80% of the time?
This is why there is autocross, driver's education, and track days. Or you can use it for spirited trips in the countryside.

Check out your local Porsche club. They should have many different activities of all sorts that will let you enjoy your car and meet some great people.

In the end it just depends on you. I have 135K miles on my '04, 130K of those miles are mine, virtually 100% daily driven street miles. I have no interest in stopping and I would be bored in a regular Carrera, but your needs and wants may be different.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course you're going to miss the power - but you can only use it for 3 seconds or you're speeding just about anywhere in the Northeast. This is the case for the GT3 as well, however it is much more manageable than with the ZR-1. Both are fast cars but you're going to get arrested quicker in the Corvette. I had a Z06 and sold it because it just wasn't enjoyable unless I was flogging it. My GT3 is still enjoyable at slower speeds but much more "exhilarating" than the Corvette ever was. It's not just about horsepower for me, If it isn't for you then keep your Corvette.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

r.
GTs are objects of extreme speculation... because of its (theoretical) limited production number, some people with access to an allocation buy it for resale w/ gains or for unlocking new allocations for another P model... or both. I bough mine last year at a modest premium and I love driving it every chance I have...
Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

The answer is more fun in a manual than PDK, but still no overall. Engine is asleep below 5k and you can't use its potential in town. I would go with a Spyder instead if no intention to ever track
Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you are so focused on the torque then go and buy a tractor
Old 04-09-2019, 06:43 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,552 Likes on 857 Posts

I am not focused on torque but I want intoxicating raw drama. I dont know how much drama GT3 provides below high rpm ranges

Just being transparent with my thinking here.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I got hooked on track days for this very reason. These cars cannot be driven in a spirited way that is legal on public roads. I like my drivers license, plus I am not willing to put innocent people at risk wringing out my car heaven forbid something happens. I joined our local track as a club member...I don't like golf, so its essentially my country club. I can take out my toys all year round and drive as fast as I want. Plus, I now hit tracks all over the country for additional thrills as my skills have improved. Tracks are where GT cars belong. Have fun!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I am not focused on torque but I want intoxicating raw drama. I dont know how much drama GT3 provides below high rpm ranges

Just being transparent with my thinking here.
Stick with your Corvette if it is HP/Torque that stirs you

For me- I do not like Corvette styling and it does not get the blood pumping.

The Porsche is not about just about power and the high revving engine. For me I love the styling, the steering is impeccable, the throttle response is nothing you have experienced, and you just feel like you are in some thing Special.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You said you drove one. What did you think? Why do you think others opinions will be more relevant than your own experience driving one?

That said, for daily driving in a city setting, neither the GT3 or the Vette are going to be great choices.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

All modern sports cars are too fast for streets anyways. A base civic is fast if you floor it all the time. My old GT4 was beyond fast for the streets and the GT3 is uber fast. Can't imagine how McLarens and Ferraris feel. Which brings me to the next point. A GT car on the streets is definitely not a waste of money. You're paying for style, quality, reliability, and FEEL. Even going slow, the GT3 sounds and feels amazing. The manual transmission puts it in another league for street driving enjoyment if you are going in that direction. I've never felt lacking for power in a GT3 on the road. If you are, you might be missing the point of a GT3.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

GT cars are not enjoyable for street use unless you drive them just to get looked at. Track days are the only enjoyable and safe place to use these cars to theirs and your potential. If you do enjoy track days you will suffer withdrawal symptoms in the off season.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
The manual transmission puts it in another league for street driving enjoyment if you are going in that direction.
Not in stop and go traffic.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I went from a C5 ZO6 to my GT3 and yes, there's less torque, but I don't miss it, as the GT3 is so good in every other way. And when you do get into the higher RPM's, it's intoxicating! They're very different cars.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:12 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

I guess it all depends. The GT3 clutch is light so it's not burdensome. But I definitely wouldn't choose to do a stop and go commute with it unless it was my only car.
Originally Posted by Marv
Not in stop and go traffic.

Quick Reply: GT3 - Fun in daily driving in populated city setting?