Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GT3 touring really a touring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Is GT3 touring really a touring?

I’ve spent some time/owned a gt3 manual and gt3 touring (same car minus wing). I’ve also owned a gt4 and spyder. The thing I loved about the spyder (other than open top) is that it felt like porsche setup the suspension for a true touring/road car. That thing would give good feedback, but glide through city streets, rough highways, etc. Its engine note was a little artificial and overall lacking if used to a gt, but its handling/steering/suspension were the best I’ve ever owned in a modern touring/road car. The touring feels like a car designed to take to the track, only it’s missing the wing and has some different interior options. It is NOT a joy to pass through cities on a log drive and/or harsh highway surfaces. It feels like a car that can get you to a track, but belongs on a track. So, the whole “touring” thing.....idk? Feels like a gt3 that I can see better out the window?

I haven’t owned an R. Maybe this is where some of the magic fairy dust comes into play (other than LE and LWFW)? If it floats over less-than-perfect surfaces similar to the 981 spyder, maybe it’s the true “touring” out of the lineup. I’d imagine the speedster could also be setup more for actual touring. But to me, the touring is a gt3 sans wing; not a touring???

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 04-08-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Right. I don’t think the GT3 Touring is a Touring in the traditional sense. It has stiff, firm, and tight suspension, more track focused than street, but I love that about it. For those that have been driving GT3s since at least the 997 days, the 991.2 suspension is overall better and more comfortable than ever before. Yet, nothing like an actual Touring car (BMW, MB, AM, etc). GT3, wing or not, I prefer the suspension the way it is, and I’m glad Porsche made it this way. If they had made it with a softer, more lose, and comfortable suspension to appeal to general public, I’d felt they sold their soul for money. Whatever Porsche does to allow the car to perform better (numbers rather than comfort), I’m 100% okay with.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (07-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I’ve spent some time/owned a gt3 manual and gt3 touring (same car minus wing). I’ve also owned a gt4 and spyder. The thing I loved about the spyder (other than open top) is that it felt like porsche setup the suspension for a true touring/road car. That thing would give good feedback, but glide through city streets, rough highways, etc. Its engine note was a little artificial and overall lacking if used to a gt, but its handling/steering/suspension were the best I’ve ever owned in a modern touring/road car. The touring feels like a car designed to take to the track, only it’s missing the wing and has some different interior options. It is NOT a joy to pass through cities on a log drive and/or harsh highway surfaces. It feels like a car that can get you to a track, but belongs on a track. So, the whole “touring” thing.....idk? Feels like a gt3 that I can see better out the window?

I haven’t owned an R. Maybe this is where some of the magic fairy dust comes into play (other than LE and LWFW)? If it floats over less-than-perfect surfaces similar to the 981 spyder, maybe it’s the true “touring” out of the lineup. I’d imagine the speedster could also be setup more for actual touring. But to me, the touring is a gt3 sans wing; not a touring???
Originally Posted by GT3
Right. I don’t think the GT3 Touring is a Touring in the traditional sense. It has stiff, firm, and tight suspension, more track focused than street, but I love that about it. For those that have been driving GT3s since at least the 997 days, the 991.2 suspension is overall better and more comfortable than ever before. Yet, nothing like an actual Touring car (BMW, MB, AM, etc). GT3, wing or not, I prefer the suspension the way it is, and I’m glad Porsche made it this way. If they had made it with a softer, more lose, and comfortable suspension to appeal to general public, I’d felt they sold their soul for money. Whatever Porsche does to allow the car to perform better (numbers rather than comfort), I’m 100% okay with.
Have to agree with you both, but then I've never really gotten the GT3 touring. The GT3 is a track car, I don't even enjoy driving it on most roads. You can't just take the wing off a GT3 and make it a car geared toward touring. I'm thinking of the weekend trips my wife and I do... I couldn't imagine taking my GT3 for them, never mind for serious touring excursions.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

This is why Porsche make TT and TTS cars.

For me the GT3 Touring concept nails it perfectly!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The GT3 Touring is a GT3 without a wing. Period! It is not set-up as a road-going touring car. Naming cars is more confusing than ever. GT originally stood for 'Gran Turismo' which denoted a higher performance model of a given make/model. Then manufacturers adopted the name GT for "Grand Tour" for their high performance, highway cruiser model variants. Now Porsche has chosen to call one of its GT3 models a "Touring", yet it is not tuned nor setup any differently than its winged sibling and is definitely not softer in any way. The only thing 'touring' about the GT3 Touring is its better rear visibility and understated looks. IMO, it's pure Porsche marketing/branding!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

It was modeled off the 73 RS “touring” so basically it means it has an interior.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

73rs touring is more than just interior trim package like the 991; not a ton different but more than the 991 Gt3 comparison. Ever drive a 73rs touring? It is a TOURING car. Suspension is pretty cushy compared to any Gt3.

Touring is modeled off of the 991-Gt3, sans wing, period.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
This is why Porsche make TT and TTS cars.

For me the GT3 Touring concept nails it perfectly!
Right. And I wouldn't want any other "Touring" Porsche, say 911T, 718T or if they come out with a Turbo, Targa, Cabrio, Cayenne, Macan Touring
Larry Cable (07-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

They could have done a 981 spyder-like tune. It's not Carrera or T soft. It's Goldilocks.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:58 AM
virdoc
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Love my GT3 touring for everyday 50 mi each way drives to work or weekend back roads carving. IMO the setup is perfect. It's just racy enough to feel special and exciting every time I drive it, but also supple enough for regular commuting. For me it's a totally perfect balance.
catdog2 (01-30-2023)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

That's just it: what is it the balance between? its 100% just a Gt3. Gt3 is a wonderful car but no tourer.

R owners: is the R-to-Gt3 more like spyder-to-gt4 on suspension being tuned more for street?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I'm probably just getting hung up on the naming. In the future, I think it would be cool if they truly built a touring suspension car with a GT engine and transmission, similar to the spider concept is in the 981.

Oh wait, maybe that's the speedster?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
That's just it: what is it the balance between? its 100% just a Gt3. Gt3 is a wonderful car but no tourer.

R owners: is the R-to-Gt3 more like spyder-to-gt4 on suspension being tuned more for street?
The balance is between a Cup car, and a standard Carrera. Some of us like a loud, stiff riding, harsh daily driver. What is balanced for some would be ridiculous for many.

I bet a lot of people would say the same thing about DDing a Carrera.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:17 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Freakin' Rennlisters. The "Touring" is not a different model. It's a Touring "package." It's just a standard GT3 with the rear wing removed. People keep saying how Porsche gave this name to a new model, blah blha blah. It's not a new model. It's a GT3 with a touring package = rear wing delete. That's it. It's like getting the luxury package on some other car that includes leather interior and fake chorme trim on the exterior. It's not a different model.
Larry Cable (07-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Freakin' Rennlisters. The "Touring" is not a different model. It's a Touring "package." It's just a standard GT3 with the rear wing removed. People keep saying how Porsche gave this name to a new model, blah blha blah. It's not a new model. It's a GT3 with a touring package = rear wing delete. That's it. It's like getting the luxury package on some other car that includes leather interior and fake chorme trim on the exterior. It's not a different model.
Fair. It's an incognito package. Making a GT3 indistinguishable from a Carrera to a casual observer.

Quick Reply: Is GT3 touring really a touring?