Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Is GT3 touring really a touring?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Jrtaylor9
Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick11 View Post
GT cars have wings, stiff suspensions, road noise, no back seats, pro-grade engines and limited gadgetry. Thats the whole point.
I can’t say I disagree. That describes almost every car in my small collection. For this one slot, I’ll either try an R, get lucky on a speedster or go back with a 981/718 spyder. After experiencing almost every gt in the 991 lineup, they all continue to be different versions of great drive-to-track-and-back cars for me.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Birel22
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time for someone to sample the 991R....
Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM
tonymission
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berjar View Post
For me Porsche nailed the perfect balance between race car and street car. Comfortable enough for road trips but still feels like a track ready car. I am amazed by what they have accomplished with the suspension! Perfection IMO. I don't want the attention, so the same car with no wing is exactly what I want. Looking at how few are for sale, seems like I am not alone.
I'm in an Instagram "chat group" of touring owners and it sure seems like the big difference with these cars is that the owners are actually driving them and largely thinking of them as "keeper cars" rather than something to flip and make some money on. Maybe that's because the market has changed and there's really no profit to be made, but I think if you're ordering a touring, you're doing it for yourself versus what you think the world will want to buy from you. These cars are getting miles, that's for sure.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Archimedes
Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick11 View Post
Feel like half this board should just buy a 991.1 GTS. NA, manual, softer than GT cars, more focused than a base, back seats, no wing. You lose 70HP and save half your money.
I'm guessing you haven't priced out a GTS recently...

A GT3T is simply for someone who wants a GT3 but thinks a big wing on a street car looks a bit ridiculous. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM
zee8
User

Ditto. The Touring is just the perfect blend for a visceral driving experience. I think Porsche nailed it.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner View Post
This is why Porsche make TT and TTS cars.

For me the GT3 Touring concept nails it perfectly!
Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM
TexasPorschelover
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally I don't know why you get a winged car and a manual gearbox if you are so concerned with downforce lap times, knowing its as fast as possible etc. Winged cars, to me, should be PDK. Touring cars are perfect with a manual gearbox ONLY.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
In my opinion, the Touring is a lazy effort by Porsche to appease a different audience. Try on some Pilot 4 tires, and it'll definitely feel more like a 'Touring.'

Touring is a silly name, but a brilliant car nonetheless.
After all of the 911R furor, I believe the point was to offer a wingless GT3 variant for 'the masses'; the decision to offer it as an option package after release of the 991.2 GT3 rather than a new model kept the VIP program members from taking allocations.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
The thing I loved about the spyder (other than open top) is that it felt like porsche setup the suspension for a true touring/road car. That thing would give good feedback, but glide through city streets, rough highways, etc. Its engine note was a little artificial and overall lacking if used to a gt, but its handling/steering/suspension were the best I’ve ever owned in a modern touring/road car.
What is unique about the Spyder (both 987 and 981) is the well tuned analog suspension. It is what used to make the German brands unique. 'Adaptive' suspensions are, IMO, somewhat of a cop-out, and have allowed cars to get heavier while appealing to a wider audience. While PASM development has progressed from the 997.1 to the point it cannot really be criticized, I agree that it would be great to have a well-tuned, conventionally damped 911 with Motorsports motor, manual transmission and no RWS; IMO that is what a car with the badge 911R should have been to make it truly lightweight and unique.

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
Porsche needs to get with the times and use magnetorheologic suspension like Cadillac and Ferrari and a few others now. The old school Valved suspension tuning that Porsche uses really makes a minuscule and insignificant difference between regular and sport mods... In comparison to Ferrari for example, where "bumpy road" setting allows for a truly comfortable ride, and then regular mode is completely at home on the track. Porsche needs to up its game in suspension management.. of course I'm not expecting mclaren sports series level of refinement, but if even Cadillac can afford to put these awesome dampers in their cars...
As somebody that had a 981 Spyder, I'm surprised to hear you say that...
Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Chris88
User

After owning my Touring for over a year now and 9,500 miles, I wouldn't change a thing. I did a 3,500 mile, 10 day road trip last summer, and other than the noise being a bit much after 2 8+ hour days in a row, the car was perfect!
Old 04-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Buddhamonk
Addict
Rennlist Member

it's just a GT3 that's been circumcised
Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 PM
GT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
I'm in an Instagram "chat group" of touring owners and it sure seems like the big difference with these cars is that the owners are actually driving them and largely thinking of them as "keeper cars" rather than something to flip and make some money on. Maybe that's because the market has changed and there's really no profit to be made, but I think if you're ordering a touring, you're doing it for yourself versus what you think the world will want to buy from you. These cars are getting miles, that's for sure.

Loving every mile

Last edited by GT3; 04-08-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Argon_
User

Glad to see people stacking on the mileage. The anti-Ferrari mindset.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Chris88
User

I think of it as the go out and drive/enjoy your car mindset
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
Loving every mile
Nice wheels...
Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Argon_
User

Originally Posted by Chris88 View Post
I think of it as the go out and drive/enjoy your car mindset
What it's meant for after all. Glad you're enjoying the GT3.

The old stereotype was that Porsche owners compete to drive the most miles, while Ferrari owners strive to have the least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: