Sponsored by:

Is GT3 touring really a touring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:23 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Having driven behind one on Highway 1 the other day, I don't think even the casual observer will think it's a standard Carrera. It's so wide and low and mean looking, it looks special even to the untrained eye. The Touring is simply a GT3 for people who don't want to drive around with a big wing on the back all the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Porsche should have just made a wing delete option rather than a 'touring' package.

^^^^ yep. I won't be going over 150 mph so the loss of down force for me is not as noticeable. As far as "touring" goes - its great on drives. Mine is being shipped to Portland in early July. My wife and will tour the pacific northwest for a couple weeks in it with no more than a couple hours per day of driving planned. We will leave it in Seattle and have it shipped back to Texas. I'm sure I will love it and won't wish for something different.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Having driven behind one on Highway 1 the other day, I don't think even the casual observer will think it's a standard Carrera. It's so wide and low and mean looking, it looks special even to the untrained eye. The Touring is simply a GT3 for people who don't want to drive around with a big wing on the back all the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Porsche should have just made a wing delete option rather than a 'touring' package.
+1

Similar to "Model Designation Delete", they should have added "Wing Delete"

But then they added a tiny badge in back that says "Touring". They should have just left that off and everyone would be happy.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 141 Posts

To the non "enthusiast", the GT3T is a 911. A GT3 is a “supercar”...

I prefer to the attention the former attracts. The less people that ask me how much it costs, how fast it is, top speed, etc - the better. I want the satisfaction of driving it. No desire for the attention.

Last edited by Holdens; 04-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes the R is set up significantly softer, and is way more comfortable for daily anything. Actual suspension stiffness doesn't feel much of any different than a porsche with Spasm...and has alllll that feedback
Old 04-08-2019, 01:43 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Right. I don’t think the GT3 Touring is a Touring in the traditional sense. It has stiff, firm, and tight suspension, more track focused than street, but I love that about it. For those that have been driving GT3s since at least the 997 days, the 991.2 suspension is overall better and more comfortable than ever before. Yet, nothing like an actual Touring car (BMW, MB, AM, etc). GT3, wing or not, I prefer the suspension the way it is, and I’m glad Porsche made it this way. If they had made it with a softer, more lose, and comfortable suspension to appeal to general public, I’d felt they sold their soul for money. Whatever Porsche does to allow the car to perform better (numbers rather than comfort), I’m 100% okay with.
I concur. The GT3 would not be the same car with a softer suspension setup, though I have not driven an R yet. That said, my previous 981 Spyder was the best street car I've ever owned in terms of suspension balance.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Porsche needs to get with the times and use magnetorheologic suspension like Cadillac and Ferrari and a few others now. The old school Valved suspension tuning that Porsche uses really makes a minuscule and insignificant difference between regular and sport mods... In comparison to Ferrari for example, where "bumpy road" setting allows for a truly comfortable ride, and then regular mode is completely at home on the track. Porsche needs to up its game in suspension management.. of course I'm not expecting mclaren sports series level of refinement, but if even Cadillac can afford to put these awesome dampers in their cars...
This. Having a 2019 Touring as well as cars with electro-magnetic suspension, this will be the next "watershed" moment for Porsche.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
I concur. The GT3 would not be the same car with a softer suspension setup, though I have not driven an R yet. That said, my previous 981 Spyder was the best street car I've ever owned in terms of suspension balance.
That might be my problem: using the 981 Spyder as my new yardstick for a modern porsche street toy. Man, it was incredible street toy package, and that’s even before considering the price tag. Admittedly, it was missing the drama of the 1.2 4.0.

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Yes the R is set up significantly softer, and is way more comfortable for daily anything. Actual suspension stiffness doesn't feel much of any different than a porsche with Spasm...and has alllll that feedback
I need to try an R.

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
^^^^ yep. I won't be going over 150 mph so the loss of down force for me is not as noticeable. As far as "touring" goes - its great on drives. Mine is being shipped to Portland in early July. My wife and will tour the pacific northwest for a couple weeks in it with no more than a couple hours per day of driving planned. We will leave it in Seattle and have it shipped back to Texas. I'm sure I will love it and won't wish for something different.
Yeah, w/or w/out wing, most of us are fine because I’m rarely even hitting 150 on track . I got the wing in UK because I can get it w/clubsport package. If the roads are good quality, the 1.2-3 is amazing on street; I like it A LOT. If the pavement gets mediocre-to-rough, I am reminded that I’m in a track car (w/or w/out wing); sofas might help that some. And, again, the spyder would tell you that the pavement is rough, but float over it. I hope the upcoming 718 version doesn’t go full gt4 suspension settings. Because while I liked the gt4 on track, it didn’t do that much for me on the street, whereas the spyder was one of best cars on street I’ve ever owned.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Feel like half this board should just buy a 991.1 GTS. NA, manual, softer than GT cars, more focused than a base, back seats, no wing. You lose 70HP and save half your money. Haven't driven an R, sure its great. Sounds to me like a really cool GTS vs. the ultimate GT department car.

GT cars have wings, stiff suspensions, road noise, no back seats, pro-grade engines and limited gadgetry. Thats the whole point.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (07-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Good marketing once again realizing demand for a 'R" type car........not really a touring in the true sense..........T/TT/TTS are all much better for that purpose........
Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

If I was the Porsche product guy, would have gone with following nomenclature -

GT3 and GT3 RS for winged, PDK cars (optional manual)
Carrera R and Carrera RS for wingless, manual (optional PDK).
Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Berjar
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 139 Posts

For me Porsche nailed the perfect balance between race car and street car. Comfortable enough for road trips but still feels like a track ready car. I am amazed by what they have accomplished with the suspension! Perfection IMO. I don't want the attention, so the same car with no wing is exactly what I want. Looking at how few are for sale, seems like I am not alone.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I love my Touring. Wouldn’t change a thing, except I think it should have come standard with MPS4s instead of Cup 2s. Couldn’t care less if it’s a separate model or just an option package. It’s a keeper for me. Understated appearance, but pure GT3 through and through. Way harder edged than my C4GTS in every respect.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:54 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Could care less what it is called or what detractors may think of it. This modern GT car as it is, wingless, checks all the boxes for me.

I'd otherwise still be stuck in a 991.2 TTS and not completely satisfied with it's offering.

Thank you Porsche!!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 04-10-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

No, it's a GT3 with an option package.
Like a GT3 with full bucket seats. Or a GT3 with Bose sound. Suspension is the same, not exactly set up for 'touring'.
Still a GT3, even if a eunuch.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (07-28-2022)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Still a GT3, even if a eunuch.

Quick Reply: Is GT3 touring really a touring?