Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Is GT3 touring really a touring?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Jrtaylor9
Super User

After owning both gen 991 RS's (and gt4, spyder), I picked up a manual Gt3 in UK; kinda hoping it might be that Goldilocks fun road toy like my spyder was + that insane 4.0. It was a stop-gap track toy for me plus test trial for maybe buying a touring when i got back to states.

The 981 spyder felt incredible as a street/touring car and a little squishy at the track. After putting on some miles on the manual-3 (mostly to and from track), it dawns on me that "oh, yeah, duh, touring is just a Gt3!" It's a brilliant track focused car. But lots of things I'd rather actually tour in. I could swear the 991.1rs was even more compliant on street than 1.2-3? Am I crazy?

Maybe since I just passed 45 I'm a soft old man now? But seriously, I'm no stranger to rough riding street cars (I own a few). I guess I long for a car in my lineup that's a 981 spyder with this insane new 4.0; I might sell everything i own if Porsche made that car!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM
bluehorseshoe
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, the Touring is a lazy effort by Porsche to appease a different audience. Try on some Pilot 4 tires, and it'll definitely feel more like a 'Touring.'

Touring is a silly name, but a brilliant car nonetheless.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 04-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Super User

I loved my GT4 for the street and my .2 Manual is even better for the same usage.

I find the suspension to be supple.

LOVE IT!!!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM
djcxxx
Addict
Rennlist Member

My father though his 73 T had a luxurious and comfortable ride compared to his previous............. Triumph TR4A. Touring is a relative term.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Jrtaylor9
Super User

Yeah true, my 69-e is softest ride I own.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Mr. Adair
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
Iíve spent some time/owned a gt3 manual and gt3 touring (same car minus wing). Iíve also owned a gt4 and spyder. The thing I loved about the spyder (other than open top) is that it felt like porsche setup the suspension for a true touring/road car. That thing would give good feedback, but glide through city streets, rough highways, etc. Its engine note was a little artificial and overall lacking if used to a gt, but its handling/steering/suspension were the best Iíve ever owned in a modern touring/road car. The touring feels like a car designed to take to the track, only itís missing the wing and has some different interior options. It is NOT a joy to pass through cities on a log drive and/or harsh highway surfaces. It feels like a car that can get you to a track, but belongs on a track. So, the whole ďtouringĒ thing.....idk? Feels like a gt3 that I can see better out the window?

I havenít owned an R. Maybe this is where some of the magic fairy dust comes into play (other than LE and LWFW)? If it floats over less-than-perfect surfaces similar to the 981 spyder, maybe itís the true ďtouringĒ out of the lineup. Iíd imagine the speedster could also be setup more for actual touring. But to me, the touring is a gt3 sans wing; not a touring???
Definitely not a true Touring car. That said, the 991 chassis can sure work that way with its larger size and added comfort. Itís really a marketing play for buyers who canít deal with the wing or want a classic look.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Porsch
User

//

Last edited by Porsch; 04-25-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
-eztrader-
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
I'm probably just getting hung up on the naming. In the future, I think it would be cool if they truly built a touring suspension car with a GT engine and transmission, similar to the spider concept is in the 981.

Oh wait, maybe that's the speedster?

Tour suspension, GT engine / trans, better clutch, and a big ducktail. Perfect daily driver. Sign me up
Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM
FourT6and2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Touring is a silly model designation, but a brilliant car nonetheless.
It's not a model designation. It's an optional package. If you put PCCBs on your car does it make it a new model? The GT3 PCCB edition?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM
bluehorseshoe
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^You are right.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 PM
catpat8000
User

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
It's not a model designation. It's an optional package. If you put PCCBs on your car does it make it a new model? The GT3 PCCB edition?
Your posts remind me of my immature teenage son who feels compelled to nitpick every little thing people say.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM
CAlexio
Super User

Porsche needs to get with the times and use magnetorheologic suspension like Cadillac and Ferrari and a few others now. The old school Valved suspension tuning that Porsche uses really makes a minuscule and insignificant difference between regular and sport mods... In comparison to Ferrari for example, where "bumpy road" setting allows for a truly comfortable ride, and then regular mode is completely at home on the track. Porsche needs to up its game in suspension management.. of course I'm not expecting mclaren sports series level of refinement, but if even Cadillac can afford to put these awesome dampers in their cars...
Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM
FourT6and2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
Your posts remind me of my immature teenage son who feels compelled to nitpick every little thing people say.
When the thread is about how the GT3 "Touring" is a silly new "model" I think it's ok to nitpick the fact that it's not a different model.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Archimedes
Super User

Originally Posted by Argon_ View Post
Fair. It's an incognito package. Making a GT3 indistinguishable from a Carrera to a casual observer.
Having driven behind one on Highway 1 the other day, I don't think even the casual observer will think it's a standard Carrera. It's so wide and low and mean looking, it looks special even to the untrained eye. The Touring is simply a GT3 for people who don't want to drive around with a big wing on the back all the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Porsche should have just made a wing delete option rather than a 'touring' package.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM
cbrett
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got back from doing ED with my new GT3T. Racked up over 1500km between Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. I agree with the fact that its "just a GT3 without a wing", but with 4 way sofas it was absolutely fantastic and a phenomenal touring car for me. One day we were in the car for 8.5 hours as we got stuck in a blizzard. My wife and I could not believe how comfortable the car was. I could not imagine spending 8.5 hours in the .2 RS with LWBs. I have a feeling that the GT3T is going to be a great daily driver for me and not attract crazy attention like the Lizard RS does. That being said, traffic in OKC is nothing like that in bigger cities, and I could see the manual getting old in that scenario. I am anxious to drive the RS at the Smokies this year after just coming off the ED experience in the GT3T.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: