Sponsored by:

Cali Registration Renewal Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
$1150 for my '14 50th I just picked up and I am not including a penny of the 10% sales tax... sigh

I will have paid so much in CA sales tax over the past year or so, really a bummer but you gotta pay to play I guess. A very privileged and fortunate problem to have though

Agree with Archimedes and others that CA has such stunning stretches of roads/scenery that when I am bending over to let the state have its way with me, its what I think about
Good attitude Sam!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:01 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
All these taxes and fees on top of ADM's. Crazy how anyone buys these cars, pays all these additional expenses to say nothing about the "mandatory" ppf and ceramic coating, and then sells them in less than a year with 1200 miles on the odometer. Lots of $$$ being thrown away.

How do these high fee/tax states handle the sales tax when the cars are traded in? Does the trade in value get subtracted from the new car price so only the difference gets taxed, like here in FL?

I think I got it, but just in case, tell me the whole thing again. I wasn't listening... because of your avatar ;-)

The reg for my GT3 is somewhere around $1000 maybe more... We have far fewer than 365 driving days in MT.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:31 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 163 Posts

Seattle is no better. Just got hit for another $1800 for my 2016 RS and $1500 for my TTS. Can't wait to retire and move out of this state, unfortunately at 41 I'm a long way from retirement at least at the rate I buy my toys.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:39 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

^ I lived in Seattle for awhile. It is expensive no doubt about it, especially recently with how well amzn been doing. I forgot if WA allows trade in credit against new car purchase for sales tax calculation which would be nice. That being said the lack of state income tax is nice, and whether in WA or Hawaii etc I personally have not encountered a place with as prohibitive of a tax burden as CA. Sales tax income tax property tax reg fees you name it, all sky high. lol
Old 04-09-2019, 02:53 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

^ I lived in Seattle for awhile. It is expensive no doubt about it, especially recently with how well amzn been doing. I forgot if WA allows trade in credit against new car purchase for sales tax calculation which would be nice. That being said the lack of state income tax is nice, and whether in WA or Hawaii etc I personally have not encountered a place with as prohibitive of a tax burden as CA. Sales tax income tax property tax reg fees you name it, all sky high. lol
No doubt California and NY have us all beat when it comes to taxes and fees. And yes, we do fortunately get a tax credit on trade in, at least until they abolish that like they are trying to do with the no state income tax.

Last edited by jp884; 04-09-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Here is another perspective. For those states with low registration fee, how many days out of the year can you drive your car? In CA, it’s 365 days a year. So you should do a divide on that and see what is your cost per day?
Well, here in the Sunshine State, my 2004 GT3 that I bought 16 years ago was my only car for 14 years (I have 135K miles on it now). So, it was driven 365 days a year and used for a few trips.

My yearly registration is about $180, but that's because of my vanity plate.

Our house with pool would probably be greater than 1 million dollars in California. I don't know what property taxes would be in California, but ours are about $2,700 per year for our property sitting on three lots.

Not sure about income tax in California, but Florida's income tax is 0.0%. Our sales tax did go up to 7%.

On the flip side, we don't have mountains, but when the Cape launches a rocket I can watch it out of the window of my home office.

I should add, California is beautiful and has some awesome weather, but we simply could not afford to live there if we wanted to. If you are wealthy enough to afford it, you are blessed, I guess.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by jp884
No doubt California and NY have us all beat when it comes to taxes and fees. And yes, we do fortunately get a tax credit on trade in, at least until they abolish that like they are trying to do with the no state income tax.
if WA starts taxing income at the state level get out of there

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, here in the Sunshine State, my 2004 GT3 that I bought 16 years ago was my only car for 14 years (I have 135K miles on it now). So, it was driven 365 days a year and used for a few trips.

Our house with pool would probably be greater than 1 million dollars in California. I don't know what property taxes would be in California, but ours are about $2,700 per year for our property sitting on three lots.

Not sure about income tax in California, but Florida's income tax is 0.0%. Our sales tax did go up to 7%.

On the flip side, we don't have mountains, but when the Cape launches a rocket I can watch it out of the window of my home office.

I should add, California is beautiful and has some awesome weather, but we simply could not afford to live there if we wanted to. If you are wealthy enough to afford it, you are blessed, I guess.
yep.... gotta pay to play. I don't really want to think how much more "extravagant" my lifestyle could be in another state based on the $ saved across the board, but just appreciate I can make ends meet to live here in CA. At least for now...

one note - was looking at an apartment recently in Santa Monica (newer and more upscale), for $1.3m 1000 square feet 1 bedroom I want to say 16k in property taxes a year and HOA is 1400/mo which does not include that property tax lol. I declined.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

if WA starts taxing income at the state level get out of there.
I hear you Sam, they constantly propose a state income tax and every time it gets shot down by the voters, but the legislators and our Governor think they know what is best for us with our money, so they have been trying to ram it down our throats. Don't get me started on property taxes they supposedly think my house is worth $700k more than three years ago (I'm sure it's out of convenience to reach deeper into my pocket, pretty soon they'll be finding a hole there). And our roads that we get taxed so heavy on in Seattle? I'm sure they're better roads in Afghanistan, I'm just waiting to run over an IED hidden in one of the humongous potholes. I hate to complain, but it's been going to the dogs as of late and it feels like the wild west with the drug epidemic here.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

if WA starts taxing income at the state level get out of there

yep.... gotta pay to play. I don't really want to think how much more "extravagant" my lifestyle could be in another state based on the $ saved across the board, but just appreciate I can make ends meet to live here in CA. At least for now...

one note - was looking at an apartment recently in Santa Monica (newer and more upscale), for $1.3m 1000 square feet 1 bedroom I want to say 16k in property taxes a year and HOA is 1400/mo which does not include that property tax lol. I declined.
Wow! Simply stunning!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv

In California that GT3 today would run you about $18,000 in sales taxes when you buy it and another $1,750 per year for each of those 14 years, so another $24,500 just for the pleasure of driving it on public roads, paying $10 tolls on area bridges and $4.50+ for a gallon of gas (a material percentage of which is state tax add on). That house of yours would cost you between $2 and $5 million if it's in a nice area, and your property taxes would be $20k to $50k per year. You would be paying sales taxes of 8-10% depending upon your county, and state income taxes of 7 to 13 percent on your income, with a higher AGI than federal due to deduction restrictions. And if you make over $1 mil you pay another 1 percent. Oh and if you want homeowners' insurance and you live anywhere trees grow, get ready to fork over $2k+ per year to help the insurance companies cover their wildfire losses, assuming you can even get insurance currently where you live in California. Good times.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
In California that GT3 today would run you about $18,000 in sales taxes when you buy it and another $1,750 per year for each of those 14 years, so another $24,500 just for the pleasure of driving it on public roads, paying $10 tolls on area bridges and $4.50+ for a gallon of gas (a material percentage of which is state tax add on). That house of yours would cost you between $2 and $5 million if it's in a nice area, and your property taxes would be $20k to $50k per year. You would be paying sales taxes of 8-10% depending upon your county, and state income taxes of 7 to 13 percent on your income, with a higher AGI than federal due to deduction restrictions. And if you make over $1 mil you pay another 1 percent. Oh and if you want homeowners' insurance and you live anywhere trees grow, get ready to fork over $2k+ per year to help the insurance companies cover their wildfire losses, assuming you can even get insurance currently where you live in California. Good times.
Yeah, my wife is flabbergasted at those figures. She really appreciates what we have.

Also, my wife corrected me on our registration, it is about $100 per year with a vanity tag.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

TN, $26.50 for standard tag. I’d like to pay more! 😂
Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

This pretty much sums it up.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
that was so depressing to read

Originally Posted by Haku
TN, $26.50 for standard tag. I’d like to pay more! 😂
I hate you

Originally Posted by robmypro
This pretty much sums it up.

I must be a real idiot because I live in states ranked 48 and 50 lol
Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director