Sponsored by:

Cali Registration Renewal Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 PM
StanfordCardGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Let’s define “driving” your car. If by “driving” you mean sunny days, well maintained roads and minimal traffic, in California that number is basically zero. In Colorado that number is well over 100. Personally, I don’t consider sitting in traffic and/or dodging potholes to be “driving.“

Consider this. Went out driving with a couple of friends. Sunny, 45 to 55 degrees, well maintained, awesome twisty road. Think 30 miles of some of the best roads and scenery short of the Swiss Alps. And....NO TRAFFIC. Not ONE CAR the entire way there. And no cops.

I did another drive two weeks ago. This one was 40 miles. Saw two cars the whole way there. Both pulled over to let me pass. This road is nothing like anything you are going to see just about anywhere in this country. Bucket list scenery. High speed turns. Straight sections for triple digit runs. Serious elevation changes. Technical sections. Streams. Everything you could ever want from a driving perspective is on that 40 mile road. Very well maintained.

These drives are impossible in California. And they are 20 minutes from my house. There are 3 more shockers maybe 30 minutes from my house, but they have some traffic usually. An hour away is Pikes Peak. In all, maybe 15 solid routes close.

Also, remember that you don’t need great weather to get out and drive. The Jeep is for the other days.
Depends where you live. Some places in Cali do have decent roads and sunny weather
Old 04-07-2019, 05:41 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Let’s define “driving” your car. If by “driving” you mean sunny days, well maintained roads and minimal traffic, in California that number is basically zero. In Colorado that number is well over 100. Personally, I don’t consider sitting in traffic and/or dodging potholes to be “driving.“

Consider this. Went out driving with a couple of friends. Sunny, 45 to 55 degrees, well maintained, awesome twisty road. Think 30 miles of some of the best roads and scenery short of the Swiss Alps. And....NO TRAFFIC. Not ONE CAR the entire way there. And no cops.

I did another drive two weeks ago. This one was 40 miles. Saw two cars the whole way there. Both pulled over to let me pass. This road is nothing like anything you are going to see just about anywhere in this country. Bucket list scenery. High speed turns. Straight sections for triple digit runs. Serious elevation changes. Technical sections. Streams. Everything you could ever want from a driving perspective is on that 40 mile road. Very well maintained.

These drives are impossible in California. And they are 20 minutes from my house. There are 3 more shockers maybe 30 minutes from my house, but they have some traffic usually. An hour away is Pikes Peak. In all, maybe 15 solid routes close.

Also, remember that you don’t need great weather to get out and drive. The Jeep is for the other days.
Where in Colorado do you live?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Here is another perspective. For those states with low registration fee, how many days out of the year can you drive your car? In CA, it’s 365 days a year. So you should do a divide on that and see what is your cost per day?
you are forgetting about fire/santa ana days and torrential rain / mudslide days.

most of the remaining days have too much traffic, congestion, potholes, uninsured drivers, and CHP to be able to enjoy, but by all means, carry on!

yes, this is turning into another "California Lifestyle" thread. Why does this happen???
Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Where in Colorado do you live?
Evergreen.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
Depends where you live. Some places in Cali do have decent roads and sunny weather
And no traffic? Because otherwise that is a show stopper.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
you are forgetting about fire/santa ana days and torrential rain / mudslide days.

most of the remaining days have too much traffic, congestion, potholes, uninsured drivers, and CHP to be able to enjoy, but by all means, carry on!

yes, this is turning into another "California Lifestyle" thread. Why does this happen???
and don’t forget on those remaining days you have to get on the roads at 5 am and by 7 am they are all filled with cyclists all over.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:53 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 04-07-2019, 08:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mchrono
Consider it a PSA for the California guys. I honestly think many of them believe there is no place that compares to California. I say that because i too thought that for a long time.

There is life after California and it is really good. Here is a pic right now off my deck. Plenty of sun, 55 degrees and no humidity. Quiet. Wildlife around. Great driving roads. Reasonable cost of living. Not too crowded in the foothills. Every possible creature comfort you could need is 30 minutes away in Denver. Solid food scene. Off-road heaven. Low taxes relative to California. Winters are longer but totally bi-polar. One day you get a foot of snow. The next it is sunny and 50. But that makes the winters feel part-time compared to most places back east. Plus the people are friendly. Go into a grocery store and you will make friends. Broken down on the side of the road? People will stop to see if everything is okay. Cop pulls me over and we end up talking cars for 30 minutes. No ticket. Getting a reservation at a decent restaurant isn’t going to be brutal, but some places in Denver are still tough on weekends. But most places you have a very short wait, if any.

The last time we visited California the cashier said nothing at all. It was really strange, but i remember when i thought nothing of that. Obviously California has its strengths, and if you are in tech or entertainment it is the place to be. But i am in tech and sales are booming, so Colorado isn’t exactly in the stone age either.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:50 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

The good thing is that the Government doesn't force you to live in California, or any state, or even in this Country. So enjoy your Freedom and choose to live and drive where you want. It's a personal choice, for me, I like California as a whole (the pros outweigh the cons) and for some that is the other way around and they leave, which is OK too.

Arguing which state is better is like debating Coke vs Pepsi or Blonds Vs Brunettes or LWB vs Sofa or Centerlock vs 5-lug or being a garage queen vs driving your car or paying ADM or MSRP .. you all get to make the choice of what you like and why.

For the record: California, Coke, Brunettes, LWB, centerlock, driving and MSRP
Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Connecticut. 7.75%sales tax, cheap registration, and astronomical annual property tax, dependent upon which town your car is registered in. Mill rate varies in the state from 11.369 and higher. Therefore a gt3 can range from ~1500 to ~5k+ for property tax alone. At least we have a sales tax credit for trade ins, at this time. The new governor wants to mimic California by abolishing the credit and introducing a disposition tax. Just plain ridiculous if you ask me...
Old 04-07-2019, 09:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by iphilips
The good thing is that the Government doesn't force you to live in California, or any state, or even in this Country. So enjoy your Freedom and choose to live and drive where you want. It's a personal choice, for me, I like California as a whole (the pros outweigh the cons) and for some that is the other way around and they leave, which is OK too.

Arguing which state is better is like debating Coke vs Pepsi or Blonds Vs Brunettes or LWB vs Sofa or Centerlock vs 5-lug or being a garage queen vs driving your car or paying ADM or MSRP .. you all get to make the choice of what you like and why.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:25 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips

CL’s are a PITA but They look cool 😎
Old 04-07-2019, 10:46 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

When i moved to LA 20 years ago I had a black 911 coupe and a pair of yellow ducs(916 and monster).

Used to drive cars Saturday and bikes Sunday. Now too crowded for bikes. I still love the Malibu canyons but I am out when my son goes to college.

Will always have a place here but won't be my main residence.

I may follow goin2drt! Looked at 8000ft house on an acre for 1.1 million...
Old 04-07-2019, 11:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Let’s define “driving” your car. If by “driving” you mean sunny days, well maintained roads and minimal traffic, in California that number is basically zero.
Yeah, that's not true at all, except for the part about sunny days. We get a lot of those.

It was 65-75 today, perfectly sunny and I put 200 miles on the Spyder on a number of well maintained roads with very little traffic. Not hard to find them at all if you know where and when to go. There are plenty of epic roads all over California.

I can do a six hour loop of some of the most epic roads in the U.S. from my house, and have almost no traffic issues at all. There are tons of great roads outside of the major metropolitan areas.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

All these taxes and fees on top of ADM's. Crazy how anyone buys these cars, pays all these additional expenses to say nothing about the "mandatory" ppf and ceramic coating, and then sells them in less than a year with 1200 miles on the odometer. Lots of $$$ being thrown away.

How do these high fee/tax states handle the sales tax when the cars are traded in? Does the trade in value get subtracted from the new car price so only the difference gets taxed, like here in FL?

Quick Reply: Cali Registration Renewal Costs