Sponsored by:

Help with getting on a track for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 AM
alwayshungry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with getting on a track for the first time

Can you guys educate on the process. I live in Miami area. I don’t know what I need to do, where to begin. I’d like to start with getting on the track with the GT3 but not looking to race it and not looking to damage other people’s cars.

I want to have some fun like you and put some miles on the car.

Trackcar videos are supurb.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

You have good options in Florida. HPDE events are held on weekends at homestead, Sebring, palm beach and Daytona. You should be able to get on one these tracks almost every weekend. Performance driving group, chin, nasa, fara, hooked on driving host events and give instruction to new drivers. Try a homestead event, it’s nice facility and you have use of the pits to keep out of sun.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

My advice - start from zero and have a good attitude, willing to learn, and find a good instructor. You will have a blast and meet great people. Good attitude + low expectations = amazing success. There is so much to learn that you might feel overwhelmed or feel like you are in another world after the first day. Start small and just learn only a couple of the very basics (such as braking and the racing line), which are difficult to master, but great fun to practice and rewarding when you get it right.

If you are at worried about crashing, Lockton Insurance is something to look into. You can pay just for the day.

People say not to worry about your lap times. I agree if you compare lap times to others. But not when you compare your lap times to yourself. Have a general idea of your lap time (ask your instructor) the first first time you go out there driving like a grandpa, say, a 5 minute lap. And then, with your instructor and feedback, you will see massive improvements, which builds excitement. Lap times should be the very last priority on the list, but like tire pressure, it should be checked periodically (very beginning, and after each run, then at the end of the day).

Sometimes the instructor may offer to take you for a ride in their car, or you can offer them to drive yours. This is a great opportunity to feel what a car can do.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

I assume you're starting from zero, never been and never talked to anyone about track driving. Here are my suggested beginning steps:

1. Find and join the closest Porsche Club. You can find this by asking your dealer, or by going to the PCA website and looking up your region: https://www.pca.org/region-directory . Go to a meeting and talk to them, even buddy up and go with them to the next track event.
2. Check out non-Porsche clubs that sponsor track events. Chin motorsports, AutoInterests, to name just two.
3. Look up the track registration sites and search for your closest track and/or club. Here are the two most popular in my area: https://www.motorsportreg.com/ and https://clubregistration.net.

All these have websites with sections that give you an overview about track events, along with pointers, advice, requirements, etc. These are good starting points. Then come back here if you need more specific answers.

FAIR WARNING: driving on the track, especially with a GT3, is very very addicting!!

Last edited by Palting; 04-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

FAIR WARNING: driving on the track, especially with a GT3, is very very addicting!!
And can also get to be very expensive over time as well.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:55 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Live in Miami Beach. Sent you PM. Happy to chat. Will be at Homestead tomorrow with Chin. If you want to pass by check it out just let me know.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I also found BMW CCA track events to be very good for beginners.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Do an event with Chin or PCA.

It's very unlikely that you'll crash the car, but if that would be a real financial problem, get track insurance for the event.

DO NOT let your instructor drive your car unless your instructor has a similar car, or you've vetted the instructor to verify that he's an excellent driver and will treat your property with care and respect. Some instructors have cheap cars and will drive student's expensive cars more for the purpose of joyriding rather than instructing. An not all instructors are excellent drivers.

Set your expectations low regarding your pace, listen to your instructor (unless you have good reason to believe he's talking nonsense), and HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Manifold; 04-07-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I think PCA or BMW did a video on what to prepare for your first track day and what your day will look like.

I think you’re looking for steps like:
1.) Sign up through Club Reg, Motorsport Reg
2.) Look for the tech sheet, have your car tech inspected by a mechanic if you don’t do it yourself. Fresh brake fluid, enough pad material, oil change would be good but not necessary, check anything loose.
3.) Look for the agenda in Club Reg after you signup.
4.) Pack the night before, get some good sleep
5.) Drive to the track, park, sign in, get your car tech inspected, drivers meeting, meet instructor etc.....
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 AM
alwayshungry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for taking the time to educate here as well as the many emails I received. Wow what a great group of guys. As I said in my emails, I will now try to find a schedule for a day sometime soon I can drive over to homestead and watch as a visitor. I think that would be educational as well as I’ve not seen Porsche enthusiasts run their cars anywhere ever.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayshungry
Thanks to all for taking the time to educate here as well as the many emails I received. Wow what a great group of guys. As I said in my emails, I will now try to find a schedule for a day sometime soon I can drive over to homestead and watch as a visitor. I think that would be educational as well as I’ve not seen Porsche enthusiasts run their cars anywhere ever.
Solid plan. You'll see how easy and fun it is, especially for the novice run groups. The only issue I see is that you may end up kicking yourself for not just jumping in and signing up when you see the gigantic grins from the drivers! LOL
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Chin, PCA, PBOC. Visit any of their events in Homestead, PBIR, Sebring and Daytona.
All are in driving distance kinda and just go along for a day visiting.

You you can drive into any track with just a signature and you can chat with anyone about anything that comes up.
All of us just showed up one day clueless.

Im very excited for you, if you’re not in a hurry to get your car on track and start burning 100 dollar bills, it’s a great way to get comfortable first.
Or just sign up and do a day with your car, with the above groups you’re pretty much assured a good instructor.

Have fun, this isn’t rocket science.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here’s my advice. As you approach homestead on 137th ave, you’ll make a right then again when you cant go any farther make a left. The entrance is on sw 344th st. I think i must have followed someone in my first time
Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Henry is there on the 20th
performancedrivinggroup.com
call the 800 number, he answers it
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Always hungry meetup with aalencar