Sponsored by:

Houston Area Drives

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ubtrippin
I disagree because my crew and I as always hit up the country all the time.
PV, chapel hill, belleville Fayetteville, backroads from hwy 6 towards the nat forest are all good curvy fun. Plenty to drive on close to here. Then yes up towards the 3 sisters. I even take all back roads to our bbq spots to blacks bbq or up to driftwood to saltlick bbq. As ll great fun.
I know the area well. I finished High School in the armpit of the country know as East Texas, went to college in Texas and then worked in Houston and Austin for years. Covered most of the State from the Hill Country east on my motorcycles and never found any great driving roads. Easy to find remote FM roads to run flat out with big sweepers, but never found any great twisties. When I moved to Houston for work, I sold my motos because it just seemed pointless. Everything was flat and fairly straight. Did do a track day on my RR at TWS, but the pavement was so bad, it wasn't worth keeping the motos just for that track.

That said, I also lived in Dallas for about 15 months and the area around Dallas is even worse for cars/motos. And an awful place to live compared to Houston. Loved living in Houston.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I know the area well. I finished High School in the armpit of the country know as East Texas
You've clearly never spent any time in Central California.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:36 AM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Wrong. Dallas is.
Any good driving roads close to Dallas? I've never experienced good options in Houston or Dallas.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
Any good driving roads close to Dallas? I've never experienced good options in Houston or Dallas.
Nothing to speak of near Dallas. Best option is to head to the Hill Country west of Austin.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I disagree because my crew and I as always hit up the country all the time.
PV, chapel hill, belleville Fayetteville, backroads from hwy 6 towards the nat forest are all good curvy fun. Plenty to drive on close to here. Then yes up towards the 3 sisters. I even take all back roads to our bbq spots to blacks bbq or up to driftwood to saltlick bbq. As ll great fun.
Those roads are not in, or near, Houston. They are, at a minimum, a 45 minute ride.

Yes, I belong to LSRPCA and have done some drives on some good roads. But the fact remains that Houston sucks for good driving roads. I grew up in NYC area where every back road is a chance to enjoy the car, even at the 30 MPH limit. And the twisties are a lot closer. Here, it’s flat and straight until you get out past Conroe or Hockley.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I lived there for 20years. There are some “decent” roads but I’ll admit that it’s a LONG trek thru some monotonous and/or congested highways to get to anything fun, especially if you are coming from central Houston.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:09 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Those roads are not in, or near, Houston. They are, at a minimum, a 45 minute ride.

Yes, I belong to LSRPCA and have done some drives on some good roads. But the fact remains that Houston sucks for good driving roads. I grew up in NYC area where every back road is a chance to enjoy the car, even at the 30 MPH limit. And the twisties are a lot closer. Here, it’s flat and straight until you get out past Conroe or Hockley.
My point is outside Houston there is fun to have. If your looking to drive in the city your in the wrong place. But starting in pv the fun begins. To each their own but if your looking for switch back city this isnt it. But if your looking for some good country driving roads w some good curves w fun we have that. Again to each their own. I've no complaints because my crew and I know where to go for our fix.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

My point is outside Houston there is fun to have. If your looking to drive in the city your in the wrong place. But starting in pv the fun begins. To each their own but if your looking for switch back city this isnt it. But if your looking for some good country driving roads w some good curves w fun we have that. Again to each their own. I've no complaints because my crew and I know where to go for our fix.
Agree 100%. Roads in and around the loop are terrible. No argument there. But decent roads are to be had north and south of town. If you want to live in NY, be my guest. I grew up and spent most of my adult life there. Absurd housing market and get taxed into oblivion. And you have to park your car for minimum 4 months out of the year. No thanks. And if anyone wants to throw California out there (yes, I've lived there, too), don't get me started....

That all being said, i could do without all the rain we've been having lately, annoyingly always starting Friday and ending Monday. Thanks Mother Nature. You're a b*tch.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:16 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Anyone in the Houston area have a good drving route to recomend? Ideally something that can be a 2hr or less round trip. Not trying to break any world records on public roads but something with some actual curves, that has been repaved in the last decade and no traffic jam would be nice. Starting to think Houston might be the worst place in the U.S. to have a car obsession. Someone please tell me I am wrong.
Once the rain stopped this afternoon I went out and drove some terrific roads just south of San Felipe Tx west of HOUSTON and then back into Brookshire. Nice straits and also curvey roads and almost no traffic at all into Brookshire. Once back on I10 towards HOUSTON stopped at Bucees for a fill up of 92 octain ethanol free gas and back home. Thoroughly enjoyed it and many bugs exterminated.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover

Once the rain stopped this afternoon I went out and drove some terrific roads just south of San Felipe Tx west of HOUSTON and then back into Brookshire. Nice straits and also curvey roads and almost no traffic at all into Brookshire. Once back on I10 towards HOUSTON stopped at Bucees for a fill up of 92 octain ethanol free gas and back home. Thoroughly enjoyed it and many bugs exterminated.
Thanks for the tip! Will check that area out.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 PM
ubtrippin
Racer

Lol. Tx porsche lover you drove on racers road if I'm correct. Brookshire exit. Been driving that road since 92.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
i could do without all the rain we've been having lately, annoyingly always starting Friday and ending Monday. Thanks Mother Nature. You're a b*tch.
Now this is real talk.....it's almost like we've had to store our cars for the winter months. Hell I wanted to sit in the bucket seats so bad I turned my car into my daily for 4 days before the rain returned a few weeks ago.......Phil
Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

After yesterdays hard rain it dried up very well and I went out for a jaunt of fun. Theres a smile that starts when the engine starts. Phil hopefully you got out yesterday
Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Lol. Tx porsche lover you drove on racers road if I'm correct. Brookshire exit. Been driving that road since 92.
It was this loop. Drawing on my iPhone isn't ideal but you get the idea. Fun. Also noticed a packed restaurant in Simonton with lots of out door patio seating called Anthony's grill. Worth a stop next time.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

No thats not the road I thought you drive on. Its races road which on the other side of the freeway. You'll love it if you've been on it. It is 1458.i think I heard of that grill b4. I'll have to try it out

Quick Reply: Houston Area Drives