Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help suggestions for wife's daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife loves the Macan GTS and I don't even mind driving it here and there. Handles nicely and the exhaust is fun for a small SUV. First vehicle out of her last 4-5 that she hasn't had a big enough complaint within a year to make me find her something new. We're going on two years with this one... maybe a new record. LOL
Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

E63S Wagon - had one for two years and was the best all around car I've ever had. Shockingly fast and very reliable. Biggest complaint is a relatively small gas tank, which says something. Insanely good in the snow, more practical room than many suvs. Also gave a look at the Panamera Sport Tourismo Turbo. Quote a lot more money than the AMG but drop dead gorgeous. I saw them everywhere in Germany last week, esp at the factory. Final option is the Cayenne TT or even the new cayenne coupe. I normally can't stand the coupe SUV thing but it looked pretty good (saw one at the factory.)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Your wife is very smart, the Macan is a much better car than the overpriced and cheaply built Levante.

I rented a Macan Turbo off Turo when I was on vacation, and it was a really comfortable and fun little car. I was surprised at how slow it felt, though. It got up to 60 or so pretty quickly but seemed to have no power at all after that. When I was trying to pass cars on the highway I just felt like it had nothing left to give. I almost wonder if something was wrong with the one I had, because it seemed so underpowered.
Might be something wrong with it, ours pulls easily to 100+ mph effortlessly. I am seemed to be tempted by these italian vehicles with offers of so much more power, looked at stevlio quad as well. In the end new Macan turbo should be good if it ever comes out.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
Might be something wrong with it, ours pulls easily to 100+ mph effortlessly. I am seemed to be tempted by these italian vehicles with offers of so much more power, looked at stevlio quad as well. In the end new Macan turbo should be good if it ever comes out.
The Stelvio is more like it! I'd still pick something German personally (and I think BMW offers the best value in performance SUVs), but the Stelvio is a much more appealing and authentic package than the Maserati.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
The Stelvio is more like it! I'd still pick something German personally (and I think BMW offers the best value in performance SUVs), but the Stelvio is a much more appealing and authentic package than the Maserati.
I have a Stevio Quadrifoglio..505 hp, twin turbo 6 from the Giula QV...Brembo brakes (carbon ceramics optional)....really great in the snow and ice, NEVER see them around (literally every third car in my neighborhood is a Turbo Macan/Cayenne, Supercharged RR or BMW X5M/Audi Q7/MB AMG SUV, etc)...infotainment is crappy (although I always use Apple car play and waze which helps) and who knows about reliability, but so far, so good...even has "race mode" to turn all nannies off and really wake up the engine and chassis. The thing is a rocket and handles more like a sports sedan than a 4000 lb SUV.

Triple layer Trofeo white paint (stunning in the sun), leather/alcanata/carbon fiber interior....

Might also look into the Jaguar F-Pace SVR...I wanted to test one but needed my new car back in October, so I went with the Alfa...Jag has 550 hp, bucket seats, and is "somewhat rare" compared to Germans and RR's

GTC4Lusso was my other choice
Old 04-01-2019, 05:42 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 PM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I was in the same boat... my wife was sick of me buying cars for myself. She has a 13’ttrs stick and wanted a replacement for her Rdx so I bought her a f80 m3 stick. Practical? Well no, but way for fun.it has 4doors which was her requirement... I’m sure by The end of the summer she will either be keeping it or the Audi and getting another suv.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Here’s the Jag

Old 04-01-2019, 05:57 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8

HI all RLR's
I am looking for some suggestions for a daily driver for my wife.
She is Scottish and has had the Range Rover Sport Autobiography and current Range Rover Sport SVR.
She is a power junkie.
Six years with the same type of vehicle,......to me , needs a change.

we live in Canada, year round driving a must. Yes, snow and ice.

I daily an M2 Competition
Have GT3
wife has RR Sport SVR

Wife's has to be cool, unique, powerful, year round
thoughts? suggestions?
Honestly it is very tough to beat a RR Sport Autobiography or SVR for a daily driver. The new G63 is the only other car I can think of that meets those requirements. I would take a RR sport over a Cayenne. I've owned a RR sport and have had plenty of Macan and Cayenne loaners. The RR Sport drives a lot better imo. The ride is smooth and it is plenty sporty and quick. Nice lineup of cars btw.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Only one choice in my opinion.......a CPO Cayenne Turbo 2017-on...............power junkie will be satisfied and the car just is so versatile...........my GTS was plenty fast, but the Turbo Cayenne S would do it................go test drive one and you'll see.........
Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Kama_Supra
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

We have an X5M and GL63...both haul a$$ and great in the snow. Also if you need 7-passenger seating, the GL is tough to beat for all-around utility.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Some good suggestions coming.
I am going to investigate some suggestions.
I love the look of the Alfa but my expectations about reliability would keep me away....but I will go see.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:46 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Is the merc E63S Wagon all wheel drive....too off the mainstream?
I dont think people like "station wagons" in North America
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Originally Posted by Airbag997
"You think you hate it now, but wait until you drive it!"

It even comes in my color. "Metallic Pea"
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8

HI all RLR's
I am looking for some suggestions for a daily driver for my wife.
She is Scottish and has had the Range Rover Sport Autobiography and current Range Rover Sport SVR.
She is a power junkie.
Six years with the same type of vehicle,......to me , needs a change.

we live in Canada, year round driving a must. Yes, snow and ice.

I daily an M2 Competition
Have GT3
wife has RR Sport SVR

Wife's has to be cool, unique, powerful, year round
thoughts? suggestions?
Super easy answer.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, runner-up Porsche Cayenne Turbo

I have had a Cayenne Turbo at home for 11 years straight, it is the best good at everything car, period. I have the latest Audi RS7 and a nicely tuned 991 Turbo S, yet the Cayenne is the thing driven the most.

I have towed with the big three 1/2, 3/4 and full-ton pick-up trucks on gas and diesel, and none of them tow an open trailer with a 3000-3500 lbs car on top better than a Cayenne Turbo.

I bought a Yukon XL Denali (the one with the C7 Corvette LT1 engine in it), and 1st tow made me get rid of it. 10-speed and 420hp, no brakes, no power, no handling, and plain ugly, lost money, gained a big smile.

For the last 11 years (because tired of looking at the same face), I have tested and talked to owners of: X5M/X6M (all gens), GL63, G63, ML63, Q7, RR Sport V8, RR (the real one) V8, Raptors in 2 flavors, V10 Ram Pick-up, Jaguar F-Pace, Maserati and Alfa SUVs with big power. Most of these ones fall in love with your service department, crash badly on resale, and don't deliver on advertised performance.

I have test driven every flavor (except the hybrid) new-gen 2019 Cayenne base (Audi v6 3.0 Turbo), S (Audi V6 2.9TT) and Turbo (Audi V8 4.0TT same engine as my RS7), and the real Porsche engine 4th-gen Cayenne Turbo is still stronger and better, it just pulls.

The coolest thing is the 2018 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, standard PCCB with 10-piston front calipers. My 3 CTT have come with Porsche GT3 brakes, all 3 of them, the Cayenne has much better brakes than anything else SUV. Handling is superb, all Turbo Cayennes have air suspension at all corners.

My current one has the LED matrix headlights and same color as my 991 TTS, so towing the TTS to the track is a fun other-people-social-media experience.

Tested Autobiography RR, SVR RR-Sport, not interested, they are so inferior to a CTT. The seats in my CTT are better than the seats in my 991 TTS, and my TTS has the Sport 18-way Sport Sofas.

Currently due to get my 4th CTT, shopping for a Turbo S 2017-2018 with barely any miles, I drive them for 50,000 miles then get another, unfortunately after my 4th one (the next one) there won't be any more options (3-4 years from now), but hopefully a CTTS is out and fixes the lack of torque in the 2019 CTT.

Quick Reply: Help suggestions for wife's daily driver