Sponsored by:

Has anyone done their own PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Has anyone done their own PPF?

I'm being quoted $6000 for full xpel or sunteck .. no paint correction, no ceramic..
To add those goes to high 8 or 9k!

It seems outrageous to me for 2k worth of film.
This is the going rate so I guess that's that

Do I really need the ceramic coat? I really only care about paint protection, not the look as much (though I don't want dirty seams on a yellow car).
What about applying it myself with some soapy water and a few blades? Other than not coming out top notch, is there anything I can do wrong to break the paint? :-)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by victorc31
I'm being quoted $6000 for full xpel or sunteck .. no paint correction, no ceramic..
To add those goes to high 8 or 9k!

It seems outrageous to me for 2k worth of film.
This is the going rate so I guess that's that

Do I really need the ceramic coat? I really only care about paint protection, not the look as much (though I don't want dirty seams on a yellow car).
What about applying it myself with some soapy water and a few blades? Other than not coming out top notch, is there anything I can do wrong to break the paint? :-)
Pay a professional. Don't risk cutting your paint
Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Where do you live? Someone will have recommendations.

I don't understand paint correction, etc. PPF, sure. I do the front clips and right above the windshield on our p cars. Maybe rear arches too.

I drive our cars often enough that they'd never be clean enough for someone to tell it had paint correction. Let the next person worry about paint correction.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:13 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I can do simple flatter sections myself, like the rockers, or that beaten area just in front of the rear wheels.

Where the pros (experience) shine are the intricate curves and nooks of the beautiful 911 hood/bumper/fenders. Those are pretty hard to do, even with a heat gun, and time consuming.

I agree with the majority. You gotta pay for quality install/labor.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:35 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't be a cheapskate with your new ultra expensive car. Have a professional paint correct it, then have a professional install the PPF. It's way more complicated (and time consuming) than you think.

And please, don't install PPF on top of uncorrected factory paint. Factory paint from most manufacturers, including Porsche, is trash. My brand new GT3 RS came with scratches, swirls, and buffer marks all over the car. Skimping on paint correction to save $300-1000 makes no sense with how bad the paint is on these cars.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:40 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my temporary xpel track wrap and cut myself and bled all over my virginal car in Germany at euro delivery. Porsche probably won’t offer me anymore euro deliveries after I bled all over their showroom.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Where do you live? Someone will have recommendations.

I don't understand paint correction, etc. PPF, sure. I do the front clips and right above the windshield on our p cars. Maybe rear arches too.

I drive our cars often enough that they'd never be clean enough for someone to tell it had paint correction. Let the next person worry about paint correction.
with you I’ve never done paint correction and not once has anyone said wow I see a swirl. Most people here just passing the car to the guy gift wrapped. Toured Leno’s garage last week not one car with clear bra, and he just drives them. A few chips here and there ......pretty cool car guy who works on his own cars/of course he has 6 guys the run the shop. This paint correct has gone insane just my view, but as gramps said never tell a man how to spend his money.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Don't be a cheapskate with your new ultra expensive car. Have a professional paint correct it, then have a professional install the PPF. It's way more complicated (and time consuming) than you think.

And please, don't install PPF on top of uncorrected factory paint. Factory paint from most manufacturers, including Porsche, is trash. My brand new GT3 RS came with scratches, swirls, and buffer marks all over the car. Skimping on paint correction to save $300-1000 makes no sense with how bad the paint is on these cars.
PPF hides vast majority of imperfections in factory paint. If you need to pull out a detail light and shine it at a precise angle to see a swirl I am not worried. I cringe when I see brand new GT cars getting aggressive compounding from bumper to bumper.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:11 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I'm surprised how much the imperfections go away with just a full PPF and no paint correct. I've always done paint correct first. I was in a time crunch and needed just full PPF before first track event. The 3-4 spots with factory blemishes disappeared with film-only; no paint correct. Hmmm, makes me wonder going forward?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

it has gotten really expensive because PPF is now so popular. i agree, OP it's crazy high now. but i just keep swallowing the pill and having my top guy do my cars from head to toe. he just finished my second Carrera T today, picking it up at noon. and yeah, $6000 on the button. but i've seen the installs the other guys in town do (and there are many of them to choose from these days). they are a little cheaper but i don't want to see any bubbles, lines, etc!

and to answer your question, i would never even consider doing the install myself. it's actually very hard to do well. takes a professoinal. and you're talking about wrapping cars that are six figures and up. just not worth your time, stress, etc. find a top installer and swallow the pill.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 AM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

I did paint correct my GT3 (and ceramic) but couldn’t work out someone local to PPF so never did it. I have a few paint nicks here and there but the car still looks magnificent when clean so I don’t care. I remember a lot of those chips and it’s just part of the experience. Pretty liberating and I didn’t have to plunk down another $6k.

Now, a black car? 100% PPF. But mine is chalk.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:01 PM
GBSCaptain
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full body Xpel was on my black GT4 before it left the dealer. Having that prompted me to get a full body PPF done on my GT3. Came from the dealer with an Xpel front bumper wrap and I drove the car about 300 miles before I could get the full body PPF done. With just those miles I had a noticeable rock chip in the passenger side mirror and hood. I live in an area with a fair amount of small stone debris, and it's all about what does or doesn't bother you. I drive my cars and nicks and chips are a part of the experience, but as soon as I notice them they bother me. That's why I do the PPF.
I live in the Chicago area and it was 5K for full Xpel PPF and ceramic coat.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could get just everything in front of and including the A pillars done to keep cost down. That's where you really need it.
I'd just wash car and give it a good prep but I've never seen the need for full paint correction.
And I've applied ppf to 7 or 8 of my bikes but would not consider it for a car. The skill, as had been mentioned, is getting it to look good around curves. Use a pro.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
it has gotten really expensive because PPF is now so popular
There are other factors too. If someone looks at what was considered a "good" protective film wrap from before 2009-2010, they'll find an installation that would never pass as acceptable today except for a wholesale job for a dealer which doesn't care (maybe except about a low cost to maximize margins). The standard is on a completely different level from what it was before. Years ago, a shoddy-looking installation was standard. Now, many private owners want practically perfect/invisible. That can drive up the time and material required to hit that mark. This week alone we installed and removed 3 hoods from a single 911 to reach my client's standard. We also fully installed/removed a front bumper on another car. Years ago, all of these would have passed with flying colors.

There are way more PPF installers now than years ago but the need for quality installers has not matched the markets demand for quality installations. For me, I can't even respond to everyone who calls me, leaves messages or emails. And that's not for a lack of enjoying making money. It's simply a matter of being project/client saturated. But it's a great time for a private owner to get an installation, even from a novice, that is still way better than was possible 10 years ago (as long as they don't cut the paint or cause some other form of damage). But if someone wants an advanced installation and incredible fit and finish, it's definitely more expensive than years ago. Supply/demand and all of that.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:42 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

PPF I get depending where and how you drive your car. Paint correction is waste of time and money IMHO. But I drive my cars and don't need to have perfection in the paint. Drives the same
Either way. Guy with the most smiles per mile wins in my book. If your paint has to be as close to perfect for that knock yourself out.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done their own PPF?