Old 04-09-2019, 12:20 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by victorc31
The car is in budget, thanks.
The ppf isn’t a budget question, it’s a value question.
Now if you would say something like how much is your time worth then that I could understand, but “get a cheaper car”?
Yes, you’re correct.

”what’s your time worth” is definitely a component and a key decision factor here. But, I know there are those that just want to try doing it because it looks easy and perhaps their time is worth the effort.

PPF installation has little to no room for margin of error, at least if it’s don’t with aesthetics in mind, not just protection.

Small areas like stone guards, no problem. There’s no cutting or advanced pull needed and very low risk.

but doing bumpers or fenders, they’re very advanced and even if you use a kit, there is trimming needed. And unfortunately, that’s when things go wrong.

And the guy/gal I’m looking out for is the next owner who has the unfortunate experience of having to repaint areas that were cut deep when a blade was used to trim film.

PPF installation is no different then seeking a professional for your health, finances, etc. Seek the best you can afford, check the work, and align yourself with an installer that’s VALUE to YOU. The dividends will pay off long past the ppf installation.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Beyond PPF is Ceramic coating and I would think that is a more likely candidate for DIY than PPF. Auto Geek has several high quality ceramic coatings that can save you money, don't require a very high skill level to apply and give great results. I stumbled onto a black 997.2 GT3 that I finally purchased but had those "hesitations" with the color black being high maintenance. I applied Opti CC and was amazed at how ceramic coating made owning a black car so much easier. If you can not tell, I am absolutely sold on ceramic coating
Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Your time is worth way more than what you are paying the guy to do the film. If you can afford to purchase a GT3 you don't want to use up your time to try to do a film install. It will take you way, way longer than what the professional will take to put it on. Just my opinion, but not worth it to try yourself. The hood would be "easy", everything else, not so much. Depending on where you are anywhere from $4-6K is normal for a full covering that is done well. Remember, even though the film cost might be $2-3K you are paying for the persons time spent to put it on. It's not a 2 hour job.

As it relates to paint correction that is all personal. For all the folks saying "no one tells me they see swirls/scratches" they are not noticing because most people don't. And those of us that do see it don't normally mention it. For those of us afflicted with the ability to see that from far away it sucks as you always notice it, especially on your own car. A paint corrected car really does look a lot better, especially darker colored cars as you don't notice swirls as easily on lighter cars. Many cars I have seen at cars and coffee have film over the swirls and weren't paint corrected and you can still see the swirls and scratches (especially those with partial hood and fender covered). IMHO, if it's a cars and coffee car you should have it paint corrected because all you are doing at that point is showing off...if you're driving the car good for you!

It's all personal choice at the end of the day. Personally I like the look of a corrected car. I still track it, it still gets hit with rubber, etc. But that's the way I want it, as to me I like the look with less swirls. My film is starting to look crappy, but I'm not ready to replace it yet. It's not about the next guy and what they will get, it's about what I want. If you are fine with swirls and scratches dulling the look of your paint that is your choice and while I may cringe it doesn't impact me after the moment I see it. I remember Matt (from Obsessed Garage) talking about getting hit while he was on his bike and going over the hood of the car noticing the swirls as he fell. Unfortunately, I would be the same way.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
The headlight washer one seems pretty standard though? I haven't seen it tucked
That's not standard. Mine are either tucked or custom trimmed.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 04-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done their own PPF?