991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson

Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

PCCB fan here... .2 GT3 is my first experience with them and love the feel (subjective).

I will not be spending $30k on a brake job ever and doubt many PCCB owners will either. 1) If I do manage to wear them out I will replace with STs not OEM which is currently 1/2 the cost. 2) If I do have to replace them ever I think we can safely say they will last 2x as long as irons so if it costs 2x you are breaking even and 3) Just a guess but think PCCB replacement costs will come down over time as they become more common.

Summary (as it has always been) is if you live at the track get irons. If your GT3 is your fun car that lives on public roads or even makes a few appearances at the track then PCCB may be for you. Only you can decide if the price is worth it.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

^^ exactly, it’s just too costly. To be fair, it may not be a yearly expense as the PCCBs would likely last 2 yrs with moderate track use before the wear indicators (gen 1 PCCBs) or weight/carbon density measurements reached replacement level (for gen 2 or gen 3 PCCBs). My PCCBs lasted 2yrs with about 5 track events per year before the wear indicators showed and I switched to Girodiscs. Granted I was in the lower run groups back then and only doing about 5 events a year. Today in my advanced group and at 8-9 events per year, I might be lucky to get 1.5 yrs, if that. The point is, the benefits of PCCBs are both well documented and can be attested by those who have used them on track. The replacement cost is just too damn high...!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

PCCB are awful

please send ur take off rotors my way....I’ll suffer with them
Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 PM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Been using ceramic pads for years on various cars. No excessive wear noted.
Who makes ceramic pads for the GT3?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
This is consistent with what I’ve read on the forums, and the reason I picked steel for my GT3.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/03...r-race-tracks/

It’s also very gutsy of Paul Watson to have said this without knowing if Porsche makes greater margins from PCCB or steel. If Paul just poo’d on PCCB and Porsche doesn’t like that, Paul maybe looking for a job. And, if he does, he’s a man to hire because he’s got integrity and, you know he’s calling it straight.

Dan (needs to forward this article to his service director who thinks PCCBs will last longer than Steel)
Paul is an IDIOT and SHOULD BE FIRED!!! This is SAD for someone at all respectable within the Porsche camp to say 'PCCB are for Cars & Coffee and people who don't want dirty wheels'!?

While there is 'some truth' in his post... if you're looking for a dedicated track car, and looking for the most cost effective solution with little loss in performance vs. PCCB then Iron are absolutely the way to go, that's what he should have said.

However, if you're looking for that absolute last tenth of a second on the track, or that hundredth of a second in straight line acceleration and enjoy the benefit of clean wheels... then PCCB's are for you. (Paul you can use this quote in your next interview)

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,729 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I will never track another car with irons.

#PCCBsForLife
Old 03-26-2019, 06:21 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
They aren't on cup cars because the regs don't allow them. Same for most series until you get to F1 and LMP1.
iirc Supercup ran ceramics for a season years ago but because the costs were astronomical that was scrapped and they went back to iron. And F1/LMP1 have carbon-carbon rotors, very different from carbon ceramic.

If iron rotors are good enough for GT class racing I think it's fair to say they are 'sufficient' for road car use....
Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

So both my GT3's and former RS had steels. Track time to varying degrees on them. New RS has PCCB and I literally cannot tell one bit of difference. Zero. Nada. Oh wait...they are very clean and don't require Adams Wheel cleaner when cleaning the car.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I will never track another car with irons.

#PCCBsForLife
+1

Originally Posted by isv
If iron rotors are good enough for GT class racing I think it's fair to say they are 'sufficient' for road car use....
When I spec my cars, I’m never asking myself what would be sufficient, but rather what would be superior.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Why would steel brake pads dust so badly? It must be a different material?
The dust is not from pad wear but from rotor wear, which is much bigger by mass than pads. Pad dust is almost negligible in comparison. Ceramic rotors have no wear, so no rotor dust. Pads that are less abrasive (gentle on rotors) cut dust for steels, but it's still night and day compared to ceramics.

Ceramics got bad rep for wear because many were changing them out prematurely - measuring them on the hub produces an incorrect measurements that may exaggerate the wear significantly. Also, many mistakenly believe that ceramic rotors need to be replaced if they are grooved, pitted or chipped at all. That's not the case unless the damage is over some very significant thresholds (like over 1/4" chunks missing, but not a grove you can barely feel with a finger nail). So I'd pick ceramics for any car that sees fewer than 8 near-pro track days a year.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:21 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
People who worry about brake dust with a GT car have the wrong car.
Why? What's so wrong with wanting to not have to wear a dust mask when changing brake pads between track sessions or wanting not to refinish wheels every 2-3 years because brake dust baked-in to the point it cannot be removed? Toxic corrosive dust annoys bad-asses too. I still track irons because I'm cheap, but I'd rather use ceramics.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Porsche, in a grand marketing scheme, has managed to sell inferior brakes at a higher price and only the astute few on RL have figured this out. Well done.

Although, next time, may I advise you keep this nugget of clarity to yourself so the rest of us dum dums who like yellow, like their car to be clean, and like expensive stuff can continue to live their lives in pride.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Is that why Porsche always uses a PCCB car when they want to turn a fast lap time in one of their models? Or why many of their factory race drivers swear by the PCCBs, as do guys like Randy Pobst? Because they want to look cool?
The only downside to PCCB is cost. Always kinda funny hearing folks complain about the cost of PCCB when they spent thousands wrapping their steering tunnel in leather, lighting the doorjam, changing the color of stitching on their leather coated dashboard, etc.
Yep. A faster lap time impresses potential and current owners and makes them want to spend the extra for PCCB even though they will make no different in their ownership. on the track or street. I suspect Randy Pobst could outrun all of us on this forum with iron rotors even if we had PCCB. .
Old 03-26-2019, 12:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselino
Who makes ceramic pads for the GT3?
I don't know, I have PCCBs, so I haven't looked into it, but I had posiquiets on my 991.1S
Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Yep. A faster lap time impresses potential and current owners and makes them want to spend the extra for PCCB even though they will make no different in their ownership. on the track or street. I suspect Randy Pobst could outrun all of us on this forum with iron rotors even if we had PCCB. .
Yet he raves about the PCCBs on track. Go figure.

Maybe he thinks he looks cool during his videos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson