Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 02:29 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

We are all human and so we are wired to rationalize our mostly emotional decisions. I am sure some people could tell the difference in a blind test but likely not many. That's a lot of money for me personally to spend to avoid a little wheel cleaning. Wheels are pieces of art so I enjoy cleaning them if I don't wait too long between cleanings. Buy I enjoy washing my cars too so I am biased. I suppose if money was no object, but I have other toys and tools to buy. Honestly, for track days, a good two piece steel rotor /aluminum hat system will save about half the weight difference between stock and PCCB rotors. Then get some lighter weight forged wheels and appropriate high temp brake pads for track days and you have saved as much or more unsprung weight for half the initial cost. The real dividend is the lower maintenance costs forever forward. Maybe you can rationalize them for occasional track days if you are in the slow groups. But don't go off track or run over someone else's off track excursion residue too many times. Maybe buying the car with PCCB and saving them for the next owner makes sense to some but for me that's like marrying a supermodel and saving her for her next husband.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:59 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Not for GT cars ( yet...?)
You can order the black calipers on a GT4. Too bad it wasn’t available in 2018, I would have checked the box.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
We are all human and so we are wired to rationalize our mostly emotional decisions. I am sure some people could tell the difference in a blind test but likely not many. That's a lot of money for me personally to spend to avoid a little wheel cleaning. Wheels are pieces of art so I enjoy cleaning them if I don't wait too long between cleanings. Buy I enjoy washing my cars too so I am biased. I suppose if money was no object, but I have other toys and tools to buy. Honestly, for track days, a good two piece steel rotor /aluminum hat system will save about half the weight difference between stock and PCCB rotors. Then get some lighter weight forged wheels and appropriate high temp brake pads for track days and you have saved as much or more unsprung weight for half the initial cost. The real dividend is the lower maintenance costs forever forward. Maybe you can rationalize them for occasional track days if you are in the slow groups. But don't go off track or run over someone else's off track excursion residue too many times. Maybe buying the car with PCCB and saving them for the next owner makes sense to some but for me that's like marrying a supermodel and saving her for her next husband.
Yeah, but unlike with the PCCBs, whether you bang your supermodel wife or not, when you divorce her it'll still cost you an arm and a leg, and a few other family jewels.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Lol I am pretty sure color selection on those yellow calipers has not been an option on GT cars.
brake/caliper swapping seems too much trouble for me so iron will continue to be my choice unless
i go GT2

Quick Reply: Steel v. PCCB - Paul Watson