Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 AM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
I know several people that have traded in a GT3 and got a 2RS, only to sell it in a very short time and went back to a GT3. The truth is, if you drive on the streets, you will never exploit the difference between the Touring and the 2RS, including canyon runs. You will have to be on a track to see a big difference. In the meantime, the 2RS will ride stiffer and be less forgiving everywhere.

I have two manual 991.2 GT3's, one being a Touring. I can get A 2RS at MSRP anytime. I would much rather have a manual with an NA 9K redline engine.

There will certainly be a new 2RS that will be faster in a few years. You can be sure of that. They may or may not ever make another Touring again. Look at the 992...they said they will make manuals and still have not even announced a date when they will make one.
There will most certainly be a 992 GT3 Touring, already several videos that show that very car. With a manual. So not too worried about that. The NA manual may be going away, eventually, but not right now.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I’m always thoroughly impressed when i take delivery of the latest GT3, especially their versatility from “dd” to street-toy to track. However, I always end up being ready to move on from them after a short while. And, while it’s nice to have a manual in the GT lineup again, I don’t care that much either way (they each have pros/cons); I already have plenty of “manual fix” to choose from.

I tend to have a hard time letting go of the RS’s and have kept too many already; the 991.2-3rs likely will be added to that list.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
The GT2RS is an easy choice for me. I like my cars to be thrilling and the GT2RS delivers big time thrills in looks and performance.
Turn traction off on the touring, if you get thrills from that you are ruined.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Terrence;15890669]I know several people that have traded in a GT3 and got a 2RS, only to sell it in a very short time and went back to a GT3. The truth is, if you drive on the streets, you will never exploit the difference between the Touring and the 2RS, including canyon runs. You will have to be on a track to see a big difference. In the meantime, the 2RS will ride stiffer and be less forgiving everywhere.

Hi Terrence!

I must respectfully disagree for certain long run road use. I had both the PCCB GT3.2 and the steel GT3.2, and now the GT2RS. If you frequently do a 2 lane run like Malibu-Sun Valley or LA - Sandpoint, ID for example, the acceleration say from 100-150 which you must do repeatedly [since in the instant on era it's sensible to slow to ID oncoming, then re-accelerate ] a GT2RS is preferable by a large margin. And when you do 2nd to 5th redline acceleration up the mountain in Death Valley!!!

The car is stiff, which is good when you hit a dip at high speed -- it just squats [the GT3 would bottom hard - I replaced the bottom pan and all brake ducts on one GT3], but less good when you're on bad 2 lane with rutted lanes: at high speed, the car hunts worse than the 2002 GT2 in stock set up. Except this single condition, the new GT2RS is quite friendly compared to the stirring 2002 GT2, routinely referred to as The Widowmaker.

For this type of use, I removed the Mags, and placed factory GT2RS Alu's, as you don't want to hit a hole at speed with Mags in the empty middle of ... nowhere... I mean Nevada. The factory Alu's have proven bulletproof over many hard hits in GT . cars for me.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 06-09-2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting thread, I’m in the same situation where i got the a manual 991.2 GT3 and then got lucky with an allocation of a 2RS and didn't say no. After driving both here is what i thought:

GT3 Pros:
1. Engine sound and of course the 9000 RPM no lift shifts
2. Engine made 460whp on a Mustang Dyno which puts it around 530HP. So it is underrated for sure
3. Manual Transmission is by far the best i have owned and most of my cars were manuals
4. Very engaging experience on the road and even more on the track when pushed at the limits trying to extract every last bit of performance out of it
5. Very compliant over bumpy roads at speeds lower than 100 mph
6. No other car like this with a manual period
7. Value for Money is unmatched out there now

GT3 Cons:
1. Tended to understeer from the factory, i had to change the front tires to 265s and do a proper alignment to have it rotate the way i like. I tried Dunlops, Cup2 and Trofeo R in case you are wondering
2. Stock suspension is limited in adjustments
3. High speed stability above 180mph, i could feel front end getting light
4. Warranty renewals on Manual GT3 do have a different process where Porsche has to check all the logs before approving it. So if you have one over-rev, there is a possibility that Porsche denies the warranty renewal.

GT2RS Pros:
1. Power, Power and did i say POWER
2. Super fast PDK
3. Looks more special and also makes you feel more special. More exotic if you know what i mean.
4. Suspension and Steering feels more direct and has more feel. Also it has a linear feeling throughout the corner compared to the GT3 where you feel it loads up depending on speed and yaw
5. Highspeed stability is much better especially above 100mph+
6. Suspension has less play and more adjustability for track use
7. Much better front end grip and grip overall

GT2RS Cons:
1. Transmission feel, unlike the PDK feel in the GT3RS where there is a kick in the back on every up-shift, the GT2RS felt like a one long gear. It keeps pulling, but i only know it shifted because i see the RPM changing.
2. Engine sound, when i was shifting it in manual mode, i had to look at the RPM to time the shifts properly. Very hard to do it by sound like the GT3.
3. Super Stiff and on low speed (Below 100mph) bumpy roads it was skipping over the bumps with less compliance compared to the GT3. I had to double check to make sure i didn't select hard suspension button.
4. Exhaust sound is very bassy on idle, but at WOT you only hear the sound of Air being sucked in the engine more than an exhaust sound.
5. I felt that i need to be on track at 90%+ of the car potential to get that engagement feeling up there.
6. At the price point, few cars occupy this space, the 720S, Pista and to a lesser degree the Perfomante.

I live Above sea level just around 2000ft elevation. If i lived in 7000ft elevation all my cars will be turbocharged for sure.

After all the above, i decided for sure that I will keep the manual GT3 and that will be a keeper especially after seeing the 992. The GT2RS on the other hand, i’m torn between keeping it or selling it. If i keep it i will use it for track more than road driving for sure. I will most likely add the MR package on it if it stays and send it to Kanoo to get the 850HP package to hold its own against the 720S or Pista on a straight line.

I always ask myself this question about the GT2RS, if a swap deal was presented to me on the GT2RS for a Pista would I do it? I’m not certain of anything yet, but I know i will be thinking about it.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I respect the GT2RS. Just not for the money they're asking for it or the engine that they've chosen to go with.

If I could afford one you'd see how quickly I could say the word Pista or Speciale.

A non-motorsport derived engine from the regular Turbo simply doesn't interest me in the least. I'm sure we'll see the 997.2 GT2 RS skyrocketing in price over the next couple decades unless government kicks us all off the road to make room for more iTeslas.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:11 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Very good thread and a big thanks to the OP for the great comparison.

I have neither car so I can't give a good opinion here but I'll say this. For what it's worth I have a 997.2RS and McLaren 675LT. I relate to this thread as the touring and 2RS for you is my 7.2RS and 675. (I'm not trying to draw any comparisons here, just how I look at my current situation in relation to this thread). I enjoy having these two very different cars and if feasible I say keep them both. Sometimes you may feel like driving a manual, and other times you will be in a high HP paddle mood.

Keep them both and enjoy them. That's my best recommendation

Last edited by jgorscak; 06-10-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I am late to the game, so I ordered an F8. Pista performance at a discount!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:25 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Very good thread and a big thanks to the OP for the great comparison.

I have neither car so I can't give a good opinion here but I'll say this. For what it's worth I have a 997.2RS and McLaren 675LT. I relate to this thread as the touring and 2RS for you is my 7.2RS and 675. (I'm not trying to draw any comparisons here, just how I look at my current situation in relation to this thread). I enjoy having these two very different cars and if feasible I say keep them both. Sometimes you may feel like driving a manual, and other times you will be in a high HP paddle mood.

Keep them both and enjoy them. That's my best recommendation
I drove the 675LT back to back with the GT2RS. In terms of straight line speed, i felt it was faster than the GT2RS, but it lacked the grip that was generated by the GT2RS from a dig or through corners. I liked how light and darty it felt, like a Lotus Exiege on steroids. This is one of the most underrated and misunderstood cars out there. I fell in love with the 675LT and for half the market value price now, it is the best purchase you can make for a supercar performance. That is a keeper for sure. Enjoy in good health.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Very interesting thread, I’m in the same situation where i got the a manual 991.2 GT3 and then got lucky with an allocation of a 2RS and didn't say no. After driving both here is what i thought:

GT3 Pros:
1. Engine sound and of course the 9000 RPM no lift shifts
2. Engine made 460whp on a Mustang Dyno which puts it around 530HP. So it is underrated for sure
3. Manual Transmission is by far the best i have owned and most of my cars were manuals
4. Very engaging experience on the road and even more on the track when pushed at the limits trying to extract every last bit of performance out of it
5. Very compliant over bumpy roads at speeds lower than 100 mph
6. No other car like this with a manual period
7. Value for Money is unmatched out there now

GT3 Cons:
1. Tended to understeer from the factory, i had to change the front tires to 265s and do a proper alignment to have it rotate the way i like. I tried Dunlops, Cup2 and Trofeo R in case you are wondering
2. Stock suspension is limited in adjustments
3. High speed stability above 180mph, i could feel front end getting light
4. Warranty renewals on Manual GT3 do have a different process where Porsche has to check all the logs before approving it. So if you have one over-rev, there is a possibility that Porsche denies the warranty renewal.

GT2RS Pros:
1. Power, Power and did i say POWER
2. Super fast PDK
3. Looks more special and also makes you feel more special. More exotic if you know what i mean.
4. Suspension and Steering feels more direct and has more feel. Also it has a linear feeling throughout the corner compared to the GT3 where you feel it loads up depending on speed and yaw
5. Highspeed stability is much better especially above 100mph+
6. Suspension has less play and more adjustability for track use
7. Much better front end grip and grip overall

GT2RS Cons:
1. Transmission feel, unlike the PDK feel in the GT3RS where there is a kick in the back on every up-shift, the GT2RS felt like a one long gear. It keeps pulling, but i only know it shifted because i see the RPM changing.
2. Engine sound, when i was shifting it in manual mode, i had to look at the RPM to time the shifts properly. Very hard to do it by sound like the GT3.
3. Super Stiff and on low speed (Below 100mph) bumpy roads it was skipping over the bumps with less compliance compared to the GT3. I had to double check to make sure i didn't select hard suspension button.
4. Exhaust sound is very bassy on idle, but at WOT you only hear the sound of Air being sucked in the engine more than an exhaust sound.
5. I felt that i need to be on track at 90%+ of the car potential to get that engagement feeling up there.
6. At the price point, few cars occupy this space, the 720S, Pista and to a lesser degree the Perfomante.

I live Above sea level just around 2000ft elevation. If i lived in 7000ft elevation all my cars will be turbocharged for sure.

After all the above, i decided for sure that I will keep the manual GT3 and that will be a keeper especially after seeing the 992. The GT2RS on the other hand, i’m torn between keeping it or selling it. If i keep it i will use it for track more than road driving for sure. I will most likely add the MR package on it if it stays and send it to Kanoo to get the 850HP package to hold its own against the 720S or Pista on a straight line.

I always ask myself this question about the GT2RS, if a swap deal was presented to me on the GT2RS for a Pista would I do it? I’m not certain of anything yet, but I know i will be thinking about it.
+1 Good analysis

Quick Reply: Which one's a keeper?