Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
Pretty sure it's just the usual Waxer undying love for the GT3 (and RS), and hate on the GT2 RS.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...st-look-specs/

The 2RS is epic. No hate here. I don’t know where your getting the “hate@ thing from.

I’m just an NA guy but don’t hate turbos

The 2RS is a product of the Motorsport Division. No argument. It has tons of Motorsport development components and input. However, the 3.8 it uses is off the shelf from the TTS.

Stating fact is not hate. Facts don’t care whether you like them or not nor is putting them on the table hate. They’re just facts like them or not.

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...s/performance/
Old 05-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I would keep the touring out of the 2. I would worry too much about the 2rs and putting miles on it. The touring is more practical and fun with the manual.. The 2 I would get if you favour driving on highway bombing or racetrack.

I say keep the touring and drive the hell out of it, pack on the miles and not worry about value.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...st-look-specs/

The 2RS is epic. No hate here. I don’t know where your getting the “hate@ thing from.

I’m just an NA guy but don’t hate turbos

The 2RS is a product of the Motorsport Division. No argument. It has tons of Motorsport development components and input. However, the 3.8 it uses is off the shelf from the TTS.

Stating fact is not hate. Facts don’t care whether you like them or not nor is putting them on the table hate. They’re just facts like them or not.

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...s/performance/
Maybe hate is a bit strong, broken record then. This isn't just a case of grabbing an off the shelf engine and slapping bigger turbos on it, I think you're doing a great disservice to Motorsports engineering making blanket statements like that.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Maybe hate is a bit strong, broken record then. This isn't just a case of grabbing an off the shelf engine and slapping bigger turbos on it, I think you're doing a great disservice to Motorsports engineering making blanket statements like that.
Not doing disservice either. Facts are facts. and stating them is just that, stating facts. Their is a lot of Motorsport developed components in the car, from suspension, aero, cooling, exhaust, bigger turbos etc.

Here is a comprehensive review of all the Motorsport components on the 2RS.

Last edited by Waxer; 05-24-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM
knasman
Instructor

Not doing disservice either. Facts are facts. and stating them is just that, stating facts. Their is a lot of Motorsport developed components in the car, from suspension, aero, cooling, exhaust, bigger turbos etc.
Different pistons, crankcase, bearings, etc. It seems to me that you are deliberately understating one side, or including only 10% of the story, while going into details on the other. That's not stating facts, that's selective reporting, in an attempt to fit your narrative. I see it in this and other threads here, and that's what's generally rubbing folks (myself included) the wrong way.

I have first hand experience with both, and their are both epic engines. The GT3 4.0L is a master piece of natural aspiration, I absolutely love it. The GT2 RS engine is a tour de force of violence, and I absolutely love that as well, for a host of other reasons. Whichever one you prefer is purely subjective.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:33 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Have you guys seen this PCA Tech Video on the 2RS, I hear the word "motorsport components" all the way through this video.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Different pistons, crankcase, bearings, etc. It seems to me that you are deliberately understating one side, or including only 10% of the story, while going into details on the other. That's not stating facts, that's selective reporting, in an attempt to fit your narrative. I see it in this and other threads here, and that's what's generally rubbing folks (myself included) the wrong way.

I have first hand experience with both, and their are both epic engines. The GT3 4.0L is a master piece of natural aspiration, I absolutely love it. The GT2 RS engine is a tour de force of violence, and I absolutely love that as well, for a host of other reasons. Whichever one you prefer is purely subjective.
Crank and bearings sure. I think I stated some internal strengthening. Pistons, likely. That does not make a Motorsport designed and derived engine. It a TTS 3.8 with a stronger crank and bearing and matching pistons. Motorsport modified? Sure. Here is a comprehensive vid of the 2RS components.

If Mike Levitas of TPC didn’t say it’s a Motorsport derived engine it isn’t. He didn’t because it’s not. Full stop. Facts is facts. That doesn’t mean it’s not a great engine but it is what it is.

Im not rubbing you the wrong way. You just don’t like the facts I’ve laid out. Not my issue it’s yours.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:46 PM
knasman
Instructor

That does not make a Motorsport designed and derived engine.
Nobody is claiming that it is a Motorsports designed/derived engine, and I already addressed comments on that in a previous comment so I won't rehash that.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by bli8
Have you guys seen this PCA Tech Video on the 2RS, I hear the word "motorsport components" all the way through this video.

https://youtu.be/9WsCGgcUdCs
Thanks for posting that, hadn't seen it! At least I appreciate facts on both sides.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Pretty sure it's just the usual Waxer undying love for the GT3 (and RS), and hate on the GT2 RS.

nah he has a point, I don't even know why PAG bothered with the paltry 700 HP top of the range 2RS. Those idiots. 3RS is the greatest GT car PAG has ever made, especially if 991.2 and even more so in GR... and if you want to talk lap times...
Old 05-24-2019, 06:03 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
nah he has a point, I don't even know why PAG bothered with the paltry 700 HP top of the range 2RS. Those idiots. 3RS is the greatest GT car PAG has ever made, especially if 991.2 and even more so in GR... and if you want to talk lap times...
Utter waste of time, indeed!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for posting that, hadn't seen it! At least I appreciate facts on both sides.
Lol. I posted it twice for you once before he did. Your welcome.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Not 100% set on not keeping both. But if I end up preferring to drive the GT2 RS 95% of the time, then I think it's kind of pointless to keep the GT3. Taking a step back, they are both excellent Porsche GT cars, and while they are very different in some ways, in the grander scheme of things they are not THAT different. Hence if the GT3 isn't getting driven a whole lot, probably makes more sense to replace it with something entirely different.

+1 on the turbo stuff being as good, if not better!
also this reasoning makes a lot of sense to me. I was in the same exact shoes where I had two 991.2s which were on paper very different (C4 and GT3), but at the end of the day felt too similar. wanted a different experience for the 2nd car. rough life/tough problem to have!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Crank and bearings sure. I think I stated some internal strengthening. Pistons, likely. That does not make a Motorsport designed and derived engine. It a TTS 3.8 with a stronger crank and bearing and matching pistons. Motorsport modified? Sure. Here is a comprehensive vid of the 2RS components.
The PET's your huckleberry: PDF Here

Looks like the GT2 RS changed pistons and cylinder heads to the lower compression ratio. The bearings look different. The inter-coolers are different, the complete exhaust with turbos changed, a few parts of the cooling system are changed.

The engine case, crank, cams, rods, oiling, intake, intake manifold, fueling and ancillary systems all look shared.

My takeaway is that they enlarged the combustion chamber using modified machining, beefed up the bearings and otherwise left the long block alone. Other changes are all bolt-ons.

In comparison the GT3 engine changes the pistons, heads, engine case, crank, cams, rods, oiling, intake and manifold, flywheel, etc. Much less in common with other engines.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petevb
The PET's your huckleberry: PDF Here

Looks like the GT2 RS changed pistons and cylinder heads to the lower compression ratio. The bearings look different. The inter-coolers are different, the complete exhaust with turbos changed, a few parts of the cooling system are changed.

The engine case, crank, cams, rods, oiling, intake, intake manifold, fueling and ancillary systems all look shared.

My takeaway is that they enlarged the combustion chamber using modified machining, beefed up the bearings and otherwise left the long block alone. Other changes are all bolt-ons.

In comparison the GT3 engine changes the pistons, heads, engine case, crank, cams, rods, oiling, intake and manifold, flywheel, etc. Much less in common with other engines.
Correcto. GT3/RS 4.0 is Motorsport developed and derived.

2RS 3.8 is not.

However both the GT3 and GT2 have long Motorsport history.

Just Facts. Not hate or spin narrative.

Quick Reply: Which one's a keeper?