Sponsored by:

Porsche To Launch More 911 GT Variants Than Ever Before

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
In yrs to come, ppl will look back and state how 'rare' and in small(er) #s the 991.2 GT3 was produced LOL
yes I agree to that statement.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Waiting for the Cayenne Coupe GT3RS.
Seen the new deploying wing on the new Cayenne? Absolutely ridiculous on a 2 ton SUV.

Dan (holds on to his NA 2014 Cayenne GTS)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by tvasbn
Probably means also GT3/GT2 RS Manual
I think it’s possible that we don’t see any more Manual GT cars. I can imagine all the manuals being a part of the mentioned lifestyle brand (911R, Touring, Carrera RS Anniversary, etc) with that branch including cabriolets and maybe rear seats and maybe softer suspensions and maybe optional pdk.

Maybe GT will be hardcore track cars with wings, pdk only, hardtop only, 2 seaters only, track suspensions and brakes only, hybrid assistance in some cases and turbo in some cases (GT2 or more)...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

That Cayenne has a max speed of 180mph, not soccer mom material

Originally Posted by hfm

Seen the new deploying wing on the new Cayenne? Absolutely ridiculous on a 2 ton SUV.

Dan (holds on to his NA 2014 Cayenne GTS)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
And CF roof, yo!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

What's a Cayenne Coupe? I've never heard of it! I just went to Porsche website to take a look at it : I don't see the difference between Cayenne and Cayenne " Coupe "...
Old 03-23-2019, 09:11 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Milk that cow!
If it goes the way of AMG and M styling packages and dilution of what those mean there won't be a cow as we know it to milk. There will be many more mainstream buyers ticking those option boxes though.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 PM
matt3rs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkingmonkey
You don't have to guess, of course I paid ADM in order to get it in the color I wanted. You automatically assume I don't drive my car or enjoy it and you probably think I'm some a55hole flipper. I'm not. Just my opinion and here's hoping the Gt brand doesn't go the way of the M line or Amg line. I think it'd be a shame.
I agree. Although I did not pay ADM, I too am worried about the GT brand dilution. I purchased my e92m3 at the absolute tail end of the production run. This was before they started sticking the M badge on every model in the F series. I can say for a fact that I will never purchase another M car because it just isn't special (to bmw) anymore. I hate seeing any regular Joe BMW with an M badge so much I actually debadged mine. There are no dealer games or ADM on any model in the BMW range, yet I still feel this way. With that in mind, I can say without bias that brand dilution does in fact drive away some buyers. It's basic supply and demand (not saying the M3 is limited by any stretch of the imagination, but flooding the market with M badges certainly does not help). So many factors come into play when you're looking at cars at this price point as the competition is plenty. Exclusivity and resale value are two main ones for me. I was considering a 600LT because I waited so long for the RS. While lurking the forum over there, many with a deposit jumped ship because they worried about depreciation. Although it's supposed to be somewhat limited, we all know Mclaren has a history of killing their own car values by quickly introducing a better replacement. As a result this kills buyer confidence.
​​​
Part of the charm of the GT line up is the exclusivity. Sure, it sucks if you tried to get one and couldn't, but damn does it feel good if you did. Exclusivity, which in one aspect is not satisfying demand, results in better resale value. I'm not even speaking about making a profit by flipping, just straight up minimizing depreciation. It's really quite simple. Look at Lamborghini, Ferrari and Mclaren. Two of them allow any regular joe to walk in and buy any model (short of their hyper cars) and one is a PITA. Now compare their resale values. There are going to be those who don't care what the brand does as long as they can simply walk into a dealer and get what they want, while there are those who will lose interest if it is no longer exclusive. I personally fall into the latter and I'm not a flipper. Sure, the GT cars are an amazing driver experience but if they are no longer exclusive, I don't see what would keep a considerable portion of buyers from going to Mclaren. Personally, should porsche dilute the GT line up, I'll be looking at Mclarens rather than the 992 GT-whatever.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Lifestyle 911....what could that be? Many lame ideas come to mind. Motorsport not included as that is pseudo covered by GT variants.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Have you driven the M3 lately? It’s no longer a driving enthusiasts experience but a marketing brand.
100% also the fact that the next M3 will have an engine shared with X3M and X4M. Also notable the XMs get that engine to market first.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

our family has w124 500e
e24m6
e28m5
e30m3
AMG and M power meant somethjng

today M power is about as interesting as my gmc dually and AMG is a fast odyssey

but I move porsches. i’m on the list for a GT9R
Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

bring it on, the more variants the better as long as AP is still helming the development in Weissach. I want the ability to walk in with cash and buy the damn car that I want. Don't give a rip about perceived rarity/value/prestige, actually the drop in perception will make the GT cars easier to get as well have less idiots buying these cars to flip with delivery miles
Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM

Sure. But, you want a spoiler for downforce in twisties, not for top speed where it just slows you down. And, there is just no way I would call a Cayenne a canyon carver no matter how competent it maybe. I’ve never felt the rear of my Cayenne lift or feel squirrelly at 100+ mph so why would I need a silly looking spoiler at 56 mph?

And, what is with calling a 4 door a “coupe?” Right there with calling an electric car a “turbo.” Someone in marketing needs a swift kick in the hiney.

Dan (goes off topic for poor marketing and design)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
our family has w124 500e
e24m6
e28m5
e30m3
AMG and M power meant somethjng

today M power is about as interesting as my gmc dually and AMG is a fast odyssey

but I move porsches. i’m on the list for a GT9R
You need to add E39M5 to that list, one of the best cars I’ve owned. Dinan upgrades galore.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

Sure. But, you want a spoiler for downforce in twisties, not for top speed where it just slows you down. And, there is just no way I would call a Cayenne a canyon carver no matter how competent it maybe. I’ve never felt the rear of my Cayenne lift or feel squirrelly at 100+ mph so why would I need a silly looking spoiler at 56 mph?

And, what is with calling a 4 door a “coupe?” Right there with calling an electric car a “turbo.” Someone in marketing needs a swift kick in the hiney.

Dan (goes off topic for poor marketing and design)
Actually after 5 deaths Audi had to recall the TT to install a spoiler. Cars were loosing control in straight lines at speeds over 110mph, there is a video somewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/20/a...-5-deaths.html

So no, it’s not a gimmick, the car needs a spoiler,

Quick Reply: Porsche To Launch More 911 GT Variants Than Ever Before