Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche To Launch More 911 GT Variants Than Ever Before

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

People wrap their cars because they want to take care of them and have them look good. I average a ten year holding period for my cars, maybe much longer. I wrapped my last car because I didn’t want chips all over it from the track.

As I mentioned before, I don’t care about depreciation. I expect my cars to go to zero. If it doesn’t, that just means I didn’t get enough use out of it. Shame on me.

Once again, great that Porsche wants to bring out more variants.

The “ purist” will never be satisfied because they can’t turn the clock back to small air cooled cars with hydraulic steering...blah blah blah...No need to worry about them. That will never change.

The “ enthusiast” will be happy having more cars, more choice and enjoy each and every one of them for what they are, not bitch about what they aren’t.

The “ corksniffers” will just whine and cry about value and brand dilution.

Last edited by Semitone; 04-02-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809
They should employ a different wet mode in GT cars... the car will throttle performance if it has detected that the driver or passenger has peed their pants.
And dial it up if the passenger does....
Old 04-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
People wrap their cars because they want to take care of them and have them look good. I average a ten year holding period for my cars, maybe much longer. I wrapped my last car because I didn’t want chips all over it from the track.

As I mentioned before, I don’t care about depreciation. I expect my cars to go to zero. If it doesn’t, that just means I didn’t get enough use out of it. Shame on me.

Once again, greatnthat Porsche wants to bring out more variants.

The “ purist” will never be satisfied because they can’t turn the clock back to small air cooled cars with hydraulic steering...blah blah blah...No need to worry about them. That will never change.

The “ enthusiast” will be happy having more cars, more choice and enjoy each and everyone of them for what they are, not bitch about what they aren’t.

The “ corksniffers” around here will just whine and cry about value and brand dilution.
Fair enough. Clearly I'm doing it wrong. I just got rid of my third GT3, each owned for only a year. Two ADM's as well. Each financed, AKA Porsche devil owner/chump. Wait, Porsche devil user. It's not really ownership if a bank is involved.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:20 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Ah yes, I was soooo in love with that Tributo. Did a testdrive in a 488 to see if that could excite me. Problem is, when you are accustomed to a GT3 engine, the 488 engine is a rather bland experience. Plenty of power obviously, but lacks emotion.
I hope they raise the bar with the coming hybrid engines ! If not, V12 is the only real option there is left at Ferrari imo.

Originally Posted by fxz
Best (turbo...) engine of the last 3 years

and Porsche came out with a GT2 RS with cheap water spraying ...
yez Porsche is the most profitable car manufacter
damn the monkey Harris and
wake up

https://youtu.be/wjJKg8-dsI0
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Ah yes, I was soooo in love with that Tributo. Did a testdrive in a 488 to see if that could excite me. Problem is, when you are accustomed to a GT3 engine, the 488 engine is a rather bland experience. Plenty of power obviously, but lacks emotion.
I hope they raise the bar with the coming hybrid engines ! If not, V12 is the only real option there is left at Ferrari imo.
If it’s anything like the California T engine, I agree. One of the better turbos all around (sound and power), but sorely lacking in character and emotion from a GT3 engine. To me, all hi-po turbo engines start to feel almost the same, similar power bands, etc. Just dialed up or down in output. They even make very similar sounds to each other.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:30 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Originally Posted by K-A
If it’s anything like the California T engine, I agree. One of the better turbos all around (sound and power), but sorely lacking in character and emotion from a GT3 engine. To me, all hi-po turbo engines start to feel almost the same, similar power bands, etc. Just dialed up or down in output. They even make very similar sounds to each other.
I disagree but I am biased because I have a 488 coming. Conversely it was my opinion that this turbo V8 is one hell of an engine that led me to buy the car, and some reviewers agree how great the F154 3.9 TT engine is

GT3 I *personally* found that I was always eyeing the tach and begging for opportunity to get north of 6K on public roads which became stressful. Anything under 6k and I was left wanting more/felt a bit bland/didn't feel much special sauce or a huge difference from my .2 C4. So for my "fun/weekend" car I wanted a bit more of an event I guess (first world problems).

If I was solely tracking or in canyons where I am in 3rd most of the time, it's a non-issue the GT3 engine is disgustingly good. For a road car, I realized I don't really need or want high redline engine because I use my cars everywhere but the track. Costco, canyons, road trips, PCH, etc... turbo engine more relaxed and broader power band for me at more opportunities, rather than the 9k screamer which really deserves to be in that upper band

I probably got influenced by how diehard some are for NA around here and then of course you buy into the hype too. This is a theory I have for why at least a few sold their GT3s so soon (non-flippers). For me, anything ICE right now that's good I am now just grateful
Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I disagree but I am biased because I have a 488 coming. Conversely it was my opinion that this turbo V8 is one hell of an engine that led me to buy the car, and some reviewers agree how great the F154 3.9 TT engine is

GT3 I *personally* found that I was always eyeing the tach and begging for opportunity to get north of 6K on public roads which became stressful. Anything under 6k and I was left wanting more/felt a bit bland/didn't feel much special sauce or a huge difference from my .2 C4. So for my "fun/weekend" car I wanted a bit more of an event I guess (first world problems).

If I was solely tracking or in canyons where I am in 3rd most of the time, it's a non-issue the GT3 engine is disgustingly good. For a road car, I realized I don't really need or want high redline engine because I use my cars everywhere but the track. Costco, canyons, road trips, PCH, etc... turbo engine more relaxed and broader power band for me at more opportunities, rather than the 9k screamer which really deserves to be in that upper band

I probably got influenced by how diehard some are for NA around here and then of course you buy into the hype too. This is a theory I have for why at least a few sold their GT3s so soon (non-flippers). For me, anything ICE right now that's good I am now just grateful
Speaking of turbos, are you replacing your 2017 carrera (turbo) with the incoming NA 50th anniversary car? Or just adding to the garage?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drifting
Speaking of turbos, are you replacing your 2017 carrera (turbo) with the incoming NA 50th anniversary car? Or just adding to the garage?
yeah, the 17 C4 is a 2 year cash lease I tried and sadly time to turn in May (I will miss this car). Didn't want to be 911-less, so started internet shopping 991.1 Turbo S in white to try something new (love that look)

This popped up .9 miles away from me when I expanded the search, in the exact spec I would want, and took it as a sign... so if you're hunting for an angle the purchase decision was not made based on the 3.8 NA engine vs. 3.0! lol
Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
yeah, the 17 C4 is a 2 year cash lease I tried and sadly time to turn in May (I will miss this car). Didn't want to be 911-less, so started internet shopping 991.1 Turbo S in white to try something new (love that look)

This popped up .9 miles away from me when I expanded the search, in the exact spec I would want, and took it as a sign... so if you're hunting for an angle the purchase decision was not made based on the 3.8 NA engine vs. 3.0! lol
Wasn't looking for a bone to pick, just curious as to your motivations. In many ways a 50th anniversary daily, and a 488 fun car is truly great car combo.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

what engine is going in the 50th?

Edited:
“The familiar 3.8-litre flat-six, which develops 394bhp at 7400rpm, is carried over unchanged.”
Old 04-05-2019, 03:42 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
what engine is going in the 50th?

Edited:
“The familiar 3.8-litre flat-six, which develops 394bhp at 7400rpm, is carried over unchanged.”
new 4.2L NA engine, first of its kind for PAG. Redline just so slightly reduced to 8800. Queue up now while you can to get in
Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Wasn't looking for a bone to pick, just curious as to your motivations. In many ways a 50th anniversary daily, and a 488 fun car is truly great car combo.
Haha no worries was just poking a bit of fun, since so many are diehard NA around here
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Wait. Porsche will pump out more GT cars and exclusive variants to meet demand and curve the flippers... Really? Sure it has nothing to do with driving higher EBITDA/profits for the Volkswagen Group.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/190...y-in-the-world

I also hope they are as forthright about curving predatory dealers who love ADM's..

Quick Reply: Porsche To Launch More 911 GT Variants Than Ever Before