Rear bumper emblem location/distance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear bumper emblem location/distance

Hi Guys

I am getting paint correction on my car. I currently only have the GT3 emblem on the rear bumper. I am going to put the PORSCHE emblem on top. Can someone help providing a few measurements for me? By the way. My car is 991.1 GT3.

1. Distance from the bottom of the wire mesh area to the top of the S of the PORSCHE emblem
2. Distance from the bottom of the S of the PORSCHE emblem to the top of the GT3 emblem
3. Distance between the letter of the PORSCHE emblem.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by yxc145; 03-22-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
Hi Guys

I am getting paint correction on my car. I currently only have the GT3 emblem on the rear bumper. I am going to put the PORSCHE emblem on top. Can someone help providing a few measurements for me?

1. Distance from the bottom of the wire mesh area to the top of the S of the PORSCHE emblem
2. Distance from the bottom of the S of the PORSCHE emblem to the top of the GT3 emblem
3. Distance between the letter of the PORSCHE emblem.

Thank you in advance.
Careful, the letters are actually on a curve, not a straight line. I recommend making a stencil template on the car before removing the old emblem.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mech33

Careful, the letters are actually on a curve, not a straight line. I recommend making a stencil template on the car before removing the old emblem.
My car currently doesn't have the PORSCHE emblem. I plan on marking on the tape. So when you put the tape on the bumper, it will follow the contour/curve of the bumper. By placing the letters on top of the marked tape, each letter will be at the right height.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:57 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

There is a factory template for it. I would imagine at least some dealership service departments have it. I know the body shop where I am getting my car wrapped (Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa) has it. Putting lettering on can be pretty tricky. I tried it once and it did not look quite right so I took the lettering off and used a GT3 RS-style decal instead which took a lot of futz factor out of the equation and ended up looking perfect. Very tricky to get the letters perfectly aligned without the template.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

My car currently doesn't have the PORSCHE emblem. I plan on marking on the tape. So when you put the tape on the bumper, it will follow the contour/curve of the bumper. By placing the letters on top of the marked tape, each letter will be at the right height.
The letter curve is not he same as the bumper curve lines. I would find another GT3 of same vintage and make a stencil from theirs.

Some dealerships and high end body shops have the template, but most don’t.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The letters are in a curve. I would take it to the dealer and have them put it on. It will never look as nice as the dealer template. I personally prefer just having the larger 997 GT3 decal.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdonger
The letters are in a curve. I would take it to the dealer and have them put it on. It will never look as nice as the dealer template. I personally prefer just having the larger 997 GT3 decal.
Originally Posted by Mech33

The letter curve is not he same as the bumper curve lines. I would find another GT3 of same vintage and make a stencil from theirs.

Some dealerships and high end body shops have the template, but most don’t.
Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
There is a factory template for it. I would imagine at least some dealership service departments have it. I know the body shop where I am getting my car wrapped (Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa) has it. Putting lettering on can be pretty tricky. I tried it once and it did not look quite right so I took the lettering off and used a GT3 RS-style decal instead which took a lot of futz factor out of the equation and ended up looking perfect. Very tricky to get the letters perfectly aligned without the template.
I asked a local dealer about the template. They said they don't do that in house and would send this out to their body shop and the charge is $150. I showed them a video with a dealer using the template to put the letters on. Literally took 10 seconds. They just kept quiet. I did not buy the car from them. So I don't expect them to do this favor for me. I would rather try it out myself. It just takes time and patience. All I need is the 3 measurements
By the way, my GT3 is 991.1. I still appreciate you 991.2 owners' responses.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I asked a local dealer about the template. They said they don't do that in house and would send this out to their body shop and the charge is $150. I showed them a video with a dealer using the template to put the letters on. Literally took 10 seconds. They just kept quiet. I did not buy the car from them. So I don't expect them to do this favor for me. I would rather try it out myself. It just takes time and patience. All I need is the 3 measurements
By the way, my GT3 is 991.1. I still appreciate you 991.2 owners' responses.
Not all dealers are the same....some will do it and some won't....I don't think they "weren't doing you any favors"....dealers want every dollar they can get....

And good luck doing it yourself but I'll back what others have said....get a template....even with measurements the chances of it looking perfect are slim
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Not all dealers are the same....some will do it and some won't....I don't think they "weren't doing you any favors"....dealers want every dollar they can get....

And good luck doing it yourself but I'll back what others have said....get a template....even with measurements the chances of it looking perfect are slim
Yeah... they quoted me $750 for the template.....

I think I may just go with the 997 GT3 decal route.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:21 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Some high end PPF shops will have the template. I bet they would do it for a nominal fee. Without the template the chance of success is low.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper emblem location/distance