Sponsored by:

Radar

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
I’ve actually never had a radar detector before but I think I’m going to get one. Uniden is coming out with a new model the R7. That should go on sale in the next month or so. Looks to have a lot of features most of which I have no clue about so I need to start doing some research. It has arrows which I guess guys think is a big deal. Looks interesting.
Arrows help you understand where the cop is located. Otherwise you have no idea. There are a ton of false positives as well, like commercial garage door openers, that the good ones can automatically mute so your detector isn’t going off all the time. Then there is better filtering of noise coming from blind spot monitoring systems on cars today. Ultimately you don’t want to be driving around with your detector chirping at you all the time, because you stop trusting it.

The Uniden detectors are very good. I have an older model, but it worked very well. The R7 is going to be very popular. If i decide to ever run one, that would be the one.

If you are serious definitely get jammers. Look at this website....tons of info on everything radar and laser related.

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?forums/56/
Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Also a PSA to this thread, what matters just as much as the radar is the installer. I see a shocking large amount of poor installations.

Laser jammers are not going to work if they are behind a grill. Laser jammers work by receiving the cops laser, then shooting another laser back at the laser gun. It can’t do either of that properly if there’s a grill blocking it.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Okay, okay, my brain gets numb when this topic come up. Just a few questions:

1) Money no object, what's the best system(s) on the market right now?
2) How close in performance are top portable devices, as I hate idea of somebody ripping car apart to do full install?
3) Is separate laser jamming system essential?

Any experts out there, please weigh in. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Okay, okay, my brain gets numb when this topic come up. Just a few questions:

1) Money no object, what's the best system(s) on the market right now?
2) How close in performance are top portable devices, as I hate idea of somebody ripping car apart to do full install?
3) Is separate laser jamming system essential?

Any experts out there, please weigh in. Thanks!
1) money no object, it’s a combination of Max Ci 360 for radar plus ALP for laser. Weakness is that you’ll have two control modules in the cabin as these systems do not integrate.

2) uniden R3 is basically equal in range to most remote installed systems. MaxCi is longer but it’s kind of overkill, both will give plenty of warning to slow down

3) laser jamming is essential for laser defence. Laser detection is useless. Whether laser defence is essential depends on how often you encounter laser enforcement. Also note that laser jammers are illegal in more states than radar detectors. Ticket is minor however.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

.02... Musicar NW is the best I've been able to find for installer. there is a thread on here - let me see if i can find it.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-jammers.html

interior is next-level fabrication....
Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Thank you obbob.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
1) money no object, it’s a combination of Max Ci 360 for radar plus ALP for laser. Weakness is that you’ll have two control modules in the cabin as these systems do not integrate.
Agree with the first part. I converted two of the dead console buttons to 1) mute the radar and 2) cut the power to both for JTK and didn't use any of the control modules anywhere in the cabin. Nice and stealth system, easy to use. Might be an option for some if they have a good installer. Make sure to use a little felt when converting the buttons so they don't have any rattle.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Tony, musicar utilized the buttons in a slightly different way - they dropped the modules into the smoker's compartment, added the kill switch for laser into the unused console button. Super clean.

I'm not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer twice over.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wru
Tony, musicar utilized the buttons in a slightly different way - they dropped the modules into the smoker's compartment, added the kill switch for laser into the unused console button. Super clean.

I'm not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer twice over.

i see that type of installation really often. It looks cool, but I think it limits usability. It adds precious seconds and an extra step when shutting off the laser jammers when getting hit by one. Especially important for the Max Ci which has no automatic laser jamming shut off. You never want to be constantly jamming the laser gun the entire time it’s locked on you.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 PM
wru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by obbob

i see that type of installation really often. It looks cool, but I think it limits usability. It adds precious seconds and an extra step when shutting off the laser jammers when getting hit by one. Especially important for the Max Ci which has no automatic laser jamming shut off. You never want to be constantly jamming the laser gun the entire time it’s locked on you.
thanks for the insight - can you explain a bit more? how does it add seconds? get the warning for lock, hit the kill switch, no?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wru
thanks for the insight - can you explain a bit more? how does it add seconds? get the warning for lock, hit the kill switch, no?
If you drive with the smoking package cover lifted open all the time then it’s fine. But if you drive with it closed, which seems to be what most people do, then you have to flip the cover open first.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Good article comparing two top units.

https://www.vortexradar.com/2018/08/...-vs-uniden-r3/

Filtering is the same between the R3 and R7, so i would probably look at the Radenso.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on an R3. The arrows don't matter that much to me and I like the form factor of the unit better than the R7. I'm a radar detector skeptic, but I'll post in a few weeks with initial thoughts.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone been tested against a dragoneye lidar in a 991 and JTG?

Quick Reply: Radar