Sponsored by:

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Another exhaust question

Recently I added sharkwerks center delete and I love it but I want the same tone but a little louder ..... I also heard a straight pipe car yesterday and my ears are literally still hurting that’s too loud for me!
my options, Side delete with center back on, can someone with experience tell me if that option is louder then just center delete and does it still sound good?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 311 Posts

GMG center?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

.1 or .2?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by Psorcery
.1 or .2?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 367 Posts

I just went from OEM sides with Sharkwerks bypass to side deletes and OEM center. It is NOT any louder and that metallic raw sound you get with the sharkwerks is gone. The OEM center has a slightly deeper tone and sounds a bit muted. I really like the sharkwerks sound but I need a setup that is not near the limit at Laguna. This is on a .1.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I am interested in this as well as I would like to settle on something between what I what I had previously (1) stock side mufflers with GRP center bypass and vacuum lines removed and plugged and what I have now (2) FVD side bypass pipes into GRP center bypass- with upper/smaller center bypass entrances plugged.
The previous arrangement (1) wasn't as loud as I wanted plus I appreciated the idea of getting the side muffler weight off of the car.
The new arrangement (2) sounds like something between a NASCAR and a Space Shuttle Launch; the abruptness, slight tinny tone, and vibration seems to minimize after the car gets up to operating temp, and the drone is constrained around 2,000 RPM which is only a problem for me during city driving. Drive-thru food lines are out of the questions as no one within three vehicles can hear well enough to order. But damn it sounds awesome when I put my foot into it and start running the RPMs up, great pop on upshifts, and nice overrun popping when lift off accelerator.
So I am going to try and live with (2) for a couple of months -- I plan to have a friend drive it around while I both follow and stand roadside so I can assess what it sounds like outside of the car.
After that, sample for a time with FVD side bypass and stock center- perhaps that's the sweet spot.
Will be making a few recordings of current setup in next few days and will post as comparison material.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 PM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by RDCR
I just went from OEM sides with Sharkwerks bypass to side deletes and OEM center. It is NOT any louder and that metallic raw sound you get with the sharkwerks is gone. The OEM center has a slightly deeper tone and sounds a bit muted. I really like the sharkwerks sound but I need a setup that is not near the limit at Laguna. This is on a .1.
thanks you just saved me some money !
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 AM
n d
Pro

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
I am interested in this as well as I would like to settle on something between what I what I had previously (1) stock side mufflers with GRP center bypass and vacuum lines removed and plugged and what I have now (2) FVD side bypass pipes into GRP center bypass- with upper/smaller center bypass entrances plugged.
The previous arrangement (1) wasn't as loud as I wanted plus I appreciated the idea of getting the side muffler weight off of the car.
The new arrangement (2) sounds like something between a NASCAR and a Space Shuttle Launch; the abruptness, slight tinny tone, and vibration seems to minimize after the car gets up to operating temp, and the drone is constrained around 2,000 RPM which is only a problem for me during city driving. Drive-thru food lines are out of the questions as no one within three vehicles can hear well enough to order. But damn it sounds awesome when I put my foot into it and start running the RPMs up, great pop on upshifts, and nice overrun popping when lift off accelerator.
So I am going to try and live with (2) for a couple of months -- I plan to have a friend drive it around while I both follow and stand roadside so I can assess what it sounds like outside of the car.
After that, sample for a time with FVD side bypass and stock center- perhaps that's the sweet spot.
Will be making a few recordings of current setup in next few days and will post as comparison material.
how do you plug the center section? I swear I never heard anything as loud as a straight piped gt3rs not kidding when I say that it was painful I thought I was bleeding!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 PM
1963SWC
Racer

I plugged the smaller input tube of the GRP center bypass by taking it to the ACE Hardware store and seeing what would fit inside. I ended up with this 1 1/4" threaded pipe end piece, had to trim a flange off of it with an angle grinder, but then it slipped inside and holds firmly with the clamp around the input tube. Basically a 'straight pipe' setup but has two bends in it so 'curvy pipe', but no muffler.
The FVD side bypass came with a pair of block-offs for the upper holes of the stock center muffler so if I go to side bypass + stock center, I will use those components.

The 1 1/4" threaded cap that is stuck in the tube has an inch or so of straight side then a rounded head; no idea what it is actually supposed to be used for.....
Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM
n d
Pro

I got to hear another straight pipe gt3rs and my car sounded like a Lexus next to it.
i have a sharkwerks center delete but I want to go louder what’s the best side delete I can add too compliments the sharkwerks..... would side delete plus center delete raise the decibels?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I would try adding a side muffler delete to your center delete. Your car will be a lot louder.

Still wont be straight pipe loud. Straight piped GT3 are the loudest cars out there. Only thing that may be louder is a straight piped Aventador.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 PM
n d
Pro

Does it matter what company makes the side delete?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 PM
1963SWC
Racer

In my opinion/experience, no (doesn't have to be matching company make).
These should work and you won't need to plug the upper tube of the center delete: (I have no affiliation) - https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1134903
Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 PM
n d
Pro

Old 03-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Have gone through a few options and if gaining power is not a goal, I found that valved side muffler delete pipes mated to OEM center muffler is the sweet spot. You get the benefit of less weight (~40lbs less) and awesome sound that’s about 15% louder than stock (not obnoxiously loud). You retain cats for emissions and the functions of the actuator exhaust valves.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust question